[comp.sys.apple] Finder question

mcgurrin@MITRE.MITRE.ORG (03/08/89)

Given the slowness of screen draws on the GS, why does it draw windows for
each subdirectory as it backs out of the path for the last application run
(e.g., draw skill.games window, then games window, then HD20 window) then
redraw (or bring to front) the lowest subdirectory from which the last
application was run (leaving intermediate directories behind the root).
The Mac appears to draw from root down, only, saving window draws and
leaving the desktop in a logical order.  Why doesn't the GS do this, especially
since it doesn't have the speed to spare for wasted draws?

keith@Apple.COM (Keith Rollin) (03/08/89)

In article <8903072212.AA24116@mitre.arpa> mcgurrin@MITRE.MITRE.ORG writes:
>Given the slowness of screen draws on the GS, why does it draw windows for
>each subdirectory as it backs out of the path for the last application run
>(e.g., draw skill.games window, then games window, then HD20 window) then
>redraw (or bring to front) the lowest subdirectory from which the last
>application was run (leaving intermediate directories behind the root).
>The Mac appears to draw from root down, only, saving window draws and
>leaving the desktop in a logical order.  Why doesn't the GS do this, especially
>since it doesn't have the speed to spare for wasted draws?

this was done for production time considerations. Not that we intentionally
programmed it this way. It's just that there was a lot to do when programming
the Finder, a routine was hammered out that worked, and it stayed that way
because *it worked*. The big maxim around here is that if it isn't broke,
don't fix it. And I think that everyone would agree that there are plenty of
things that ARE broken that SHOULD be fixed. It would be nice to change the
algorithm, but there are always other pressing matters (like adding AppleShare
support under GS/OS). When the new Finder comes out on the 4.1 system disks, I
think that you will be pleased with the new features!

INTERNET: keith@apple.com
"Argue for your Apple, and sure enough, it's yours" - Keith Rollin, Contusions

prw@meccts.MECC.MN.ORG (Paul Wenker) (03/08/89)

As long as we're talking about Finder, let me make a suggestion.  How
about a preference to turn off the zoom effect when opening/closing
windows?  It's a quick and easy enhancement that would significantly
improve performance.

---
Paul Wenker			UUCP:  prw@mecc.mn.org
MECC, Advanced Development	AppleLink:  MECC.TECH

JDA@NIHCU.BITNET (Doug Ashbrook) (03/08/89)

>                       When the new Finder comes out on the 4.1 system disks, I
> think that you will be pleased with the new features!

Talking about new features, I recently had reason to use the relative
new feature (added in 4.0, I think) where you can set a desk
accessory to "inactive".  It sure beats copying it out of the
DESK.ACCS (or whatever it is called) subdirectory.  Those kind of
subtle improvements that really help productivity.

J. Douglas Ashbrook                                  (301) 496-5181
BITNET: JDA@NIHCU            ARPA: jda%nihcu.bitnet@cunyvm.cuny.edu
National Institutes of Health, Computer Center,  Bethesda, MD 20892

shankar@haarlem.SRC.Honeywell.COM (Son of Knuth) (03/09/89)

In article <8903081014.aa08220@SMOKE.BRL.MIL> JDA@NIHCU.BITNET (Doug Ashbrook) writes:
>Talking about new features, I recently had reason to use the relative
>new feature (added in 4.0, I think) where you can set a desk
>accessory to "inactive".

How?

---
Subash Shankar             Honeywell Systems & Research Center
voice: (612) 782 7558      US Snail: 3660 Technology Dr., Minneapolis, MN 55418
shankar@src.honeywell.com  srcsip!shankar

phaedrus@blake.acs.washington.edu (the Wanderer) (03/09/89)

In article <18332@srcsip.UUCP> shankar@haarlem.UUCP (Son of Knuth) writes:
>In article <8903081014.aa08220@SMOKE.BRL.MIL> JDA@NIHCU.BITNET (Doug Ashbrook) writes:
>>Talking about new features, I recently had reason to use the relative
>>new feature (added in 4.0, I think) where you can set a desk
>>accessory to "inactive".
>
>How?

     From within the Finder, just select the desk accessory you want to
deactivate (open the DESK.ACCS folder and select the file within it, that
is; don't select it from the Apple menu), and press Apple-I to call up the
Information window.  In addition to the old "Locked" box that could be
toggled on and off, there is now a box for "Inactive".  Just click on that
box, and the next time you boot the system disk, that desk accessory
will not be loaded.
     In addition to desk accessories, this feature also works on everything
else that GS/OS loads at startup time--drivers and system setup files.
This is a *great* feature if, like me, you have 5.25" drives but only use
them occasionally.  Deactivate the 5.25" driver, and the long wait and
obnoxious grinding noise caused by GS/OS looking for nonexistent disks in
those drives goes away!  Then, if you ever want to use those drives from
GS/OS, just activate the driver again and reboot.
     (By the way, on the technical side, I believe that an inactive DA,
driver, etc. is flagged by adding $8000 to its auxinfo field.  I don't have
my manuals with me, though, so don't quote me.)

--
  Mark VanWinkle
   Computer Science Hopeful, University of Washington