[comp.sys.apple] reporting bugs to Apple

>Date:         Mon, 6 Mar 89 23:48:07 GMT
>From:         Scott Michael Blackman <phoenix!blackman@PRINCETON.EDU>
>Subject:      Re: GS/OS and programming standard
>
>While we're talking about all the bugginess inherent in GS/OS and IIgs
>tools, let me ask this:
>
>Where and how should we report actual, verifiable bugs?

If you're not a Certified Developer or Apple Partner, I think you have
to use U.S. Mail:

  Apple II Developer Technical Support
  Apple Computer, Inc.
  20525 Mariani Avenue, M/S 51-T
  Cupertino, CA 95014

(M/S means Mail Stop, by the way.)  If you're a CD or Apple Partner,
you can report bugs through AppleLink (_not_ Personal Edition) or MCI
Mail.

When you report a bug, first give a brief summary of the bug; then
give step-by-step instructions on how to reproduce the bug, if
possible, including all version numbers and details about your system
configuration.  If you can duplicate the problem with a fresh copy of
the system disk (no desk accessories installed, etc), that would make
things simpler.  It's better to give too much information than not
enough--the root of the problem may not be where you think it is, so
don't try to guess what's relavent.

 --David A. Lyons              bitnet: awcttypa@uiamvs
   DAL Systems                 CompuServe:  72177,3233
   P.O. Box 287                GEnie mail:    D.LYONS2
   North Liberty, IA 52317     AppleLinkPE: Dave Lyons

>If you're not a Certified Developer or Apple Partner, I think you have
>to use U.S. Mail:
>
>  Apple II Developer Technical Support
>  Apple Computer, Inc.
>  20525 Mariani Avenue, M/S 51-T
>  Cupertino, CA 95014

Since it IS possible to send the report via email, why not (will they
discard it just because it arrived by email from a "non-developer???"--
that would strike me as dysfunctional)?  Have they a FAX number, by the way?

AIIDTS@applelink.claris.com  (Internet)
claris!applelink!aiidts      (UUCP)
XB.DAS@STANFORD  Subject: AIIDTS@APPLELINK  (BITNET)

Murph Sewall                       Vaporware? ---> [Gary Larson returns 1/1/90]
Prof. of Marketing     Sewall@UConnVM.BITNET
Business School        sewall%uconnvm.bitnet@mitvma.mit.edu          [INTERNET]
U of Connecticut       {psuvax1 or mcvax }!UCONNVM.BITNET!SEWALL     [UUCP]

-+- I don't speak for my employer, though I frequently wish that I could

According to the American Facsimile Association, more than half the calls
from Japan to the U.S. are fax calls.  FAX it to me at: 1-203-486-5246

lsr@Apple.COM (Larry Rosenstein) (03/09/89)

In article <8903081046.aa10249@SMOKE.BRL.MIL> SEWALL@UCONNVM.BITNET (Murph
Sewall) writes:
> AIIDTS@applelink.claris.com  (Internet)
> claris!applelink!aiidts      (UUCP)

Have you tried these addresses?  You can send mail to any AppleLink address by sending it to user@AppleLink.Apple.COM.  I am not sure that sending to user@AppleLink.Claris.COM works as well (i've never seen any note that says it would work.)

Larry Rosenstein, Apple Computer, Inc.

Internet: lsr@Apple.com   UUCP: {nsc, sun}!apple!lsr
AppleLink: Rosenstein1

wombat@claris.com (Scott Lindsey) (03/09/89)

From article <8903081046.aa10249@SMOKE.BRL.MIL>, by SEWALL@UCONNVM.BITNET (Murph Sewall):

> AIIDTS@applelink.claris.com  (Internet)
> claris!applelink!aiidts      (UUCP)
> XB.DAS@STANFORD  Subject: AIIDTS@APPLELINK  (BITNET)

Ack!  Our sun doesn't know anything about applelink!!  For claris, substitute
apple!  You're almost guaranteed to get bounced mail if you try those
addresses.

AIIDTS@applelink.apple.com
apple!applelink!aiidts

--
Scott Lindsey         | UUCP: {ames,apple,portal,sun,voder}!claris!wombat
Product Development   | Internet:  wombat@claris.com  |  AppleLink: LINDSEY1

>In article <8903081046.aa10249@SMOKE.BRL.MIL> SEWALL@UCONNVM.BITNET (Murph
>Sewall) writes:
>> AIIDTS@applelink.claris.com  (Internet)
>> claris!applelink!aiidts      (UUCP)
>Have you tried these addresses?  You can send mail to any AppleLink address by
> sending it to user@AppleLink.Apple.COM.

RIGHT -- I need to learn to edit better in the wee hours of the morning (or
to stop answering mail while trying to watch Nightline :-O

AIIDTS@AppleLink.Apple.COM (Internet)
ames!claris!apple!applelink!aiidts (UUCP)

   [according to psuvax1, the UUCP route to 'apple' is through 'claris' :-) ]

At least I had the BITNET route (the one I actually use) correct