[comp.sys.apple] ShrinkIt bugs

neighbor@csd4.milw.wisc.edu (Jeffrey Alan Ding) (03/08/89)

From The author of ShrinkIt:

>Subject: ShrinkIt 1.0 bugs
>Sender: daemon@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU
>
>I suppose I should have known that it was too good to be true (and it was)
>so here's the lowdown on what I know is wrong with v1.0 of ShrinkIt --
>
>o  If you are shrinking a 5.25" disk which uses DOS 3.3, you're in for a
>   surprise when you try to unshrink the disk.  ShrinkIt will say
>   "<Optimized>" while attempting to shrink the disk.  This is _very_ bad.
>
>andy

ShrinkIt and Hyper C:

>Subject: Using Shrinkit v0.95 on Hyper C
>
>Like others, I did manage to get my Hyper C to work by unshrinking from
>one 5.25" drive to another.
>
>        [david]

Taken from Comp.binaries.apple2:

>Subject: Mad Apple Forth Utilities - Part 1 of 3
>
>This is a 5.25" disk packed with Shrinkit v0.95 containing Forth utilities for
>Mad Apple Forth in block format.
>
>Be aware that Shrinkit 0.95 has trouble unless you unpack (AND pack I found
>out) to and from 5.25" drives alone - not from 3.5" to 5.25" or vice versa.

With all these bugs using ShrinkIt on disks, WHY are you people using
it to shrink disks???  I am using an Apple //c computer with ONE 5.25
disk drive and TWO 3.5 disk drives.  I can't unpack HyperC and I can't
unpack Mad Apple Forth Utilities.  I don't have TWO 5.25 drives.

Andy, the author of ShrinkIt says version 1.1 will be available in a few
days.  I still haven't seen ShrinkIt version 1.0 posted to Comp.binaries.-
apple2, even though a message a week ago said it should be there by the
time that message was recieved.  Does ShrinkIt 1.1 fix the problems with
packing DOS3.3 disks and unpacking 5.25 disks?  I haven't seen any posts
saying these problems will be fixed.

Please post the NEW version of ShrinkIt to comp.binaries.apple2!  It is
the official newsgroup to post binaries that people screamed to make a
year ago.  So USE it!

I feel you should STOP using ShrinkIt to pack disks until it works properly.
How many people out there have 2 5.25 drives?  The majority of //gs users
I'm sure don't have 5.25 drives, since all the software for the gs is on
3.5 disks.  How may //c users have two 5.25 drives?  Probably more than
IIgs's but I am sure not all.  II,II+ users most likely have two 5.25 disk
drives, but ShrinkIt won't work on those machines.  IIe users most likely
have two 5.25 drives; they are the only ones who can use ShrinkIt to
it's full buggy potential.

ShrinkIt is on my BADGUY list until it works for me.  I'm sure a lot of
other users who have had the same problems feel the same.

All flames to /dev/null.

neighbor@csd4.milw.wisc.edu

nicholaA@moravian.EDU (03/09/89)

> ShrinkIt is on my BADGUY list until it works for me.  I'm sure a lot of
> other users who have had the same problems feel the same.

v1.1 works fine.  Use it.

> All flames to /dev/null.

Not on your life as long as it's _my_ program you're dealing with. :)

> neighbor@csd4.milw.wisc.edu

-------------
Andy Nicholas                  CsNET: shrinkit@moravian.edu
Box 435, Moravian College   InterNET: shrinkit%moravian.edu@relay.cs.net
Bethlehem, PA  18018                  liberty!batman!shrinkit@sun.com
                                uucp: rutgers!lafcol!lehi3b15!mc70!shrinkit
AppleLink PE: ShrinkIt                rutgers!liberty!batman!shrinkit

Send replies to "shrinkit" as our mailer is case-sensitive.

neighbor@csd4.milw.wisc.edu (Jeffrey Alan Ding) (03/10/89)

In article <8903090803.AA24375@batman.moravian.edu> nicholaA@moravian.EDU writes:
>v1.1 works fine.  Use it.

I don't have v1.1 yet , just got v1.0 off of Comp.binaries.apple2 the other
day.  It fixed the problems with unpacking disks.  Good work.