[comp.sys.apple] BinSCII problems with ShrinkIt 1.0

ldcol@pbhyd.PacBell.COM (Larry D Colton) (03/09/89)

There _appears_ to be a problem with the four files in binaries/apple2
that comprise ShrinkIt 1.0.

I am unable to process them with BinSCII 1.01.  No matter what I do, I
get the error "Invalid prefix syntax."  I have sucessfully down loaded
and processed all the recent 2e programs with no problems (HyperC, Mad
Apple Forth, etc) so I know there is no interface problems between my
system, and either the net or my apple.

Even though it should make no difference, I renamed the 4 downloaded
files, and then removed the net headers, all to no avail.  I was also
able to use BinSCII to convert and unconvert other files on the same
disk, so I know there is no problem with the disk, or bitmap, etc.

David, while the interface is not fancy, it is functional.  The fact
that I was able to process other files rules out interface problems
(I HOPE!).  I did notice that after receiving there error message,
subsequent attempts returned MLI error $50.  Should not BinSCII close
all files when it encounters an error?

If anyone has any suggestions as to what might be the problem, I will
be most appreciative.

Thanks
--Larry

--
Larry Colton                {att,bellcore,sun,ames,pyramid}!pacbell!ldcol

KMILES@CC.USU.EDU ("Kurt Miles, VAX Consultant") (03/10/89)

I'm glad I saw this.  I just spent 35 minutes trying to do the same thing,
and I got the same messages.  I tried renameing, etc, and nothing worked.

Any fixes here will be greatly appreciated by me also.

KMILES@USU  (bitnet)
Kurt Miles

neighbor@csd4.milw.wisc.edu (Jeffrey Alan Ding) (03/10/89)

In article <1329@pbhyd.PacBell.COM> ldcol@pbhyd.PacBell.COM (Larry D Colton) writes:

>There _appears_ to be a problem with the four files in binaries/apple2
>that comprise ShrinkIt 1.0.
>
>I am unable to process them with BinSCII 1.01.  No matter what I do, I
>get the error "Invalid prefix syntax."  I have sucessfully down loaded
>and processed all the recent 2e programs with no problems (HyperC, Mad
>Apple Forth, etc) so I know there is no interface problems between my
>system, and either the net or my apple.
>
>--Larry

The problem is with the filename in the four files.  The second line of
the BinSCII'd files after the FiLeStArT.... line is the filename it
saves to disk.

In this case, the line starts like this , "MSHRINK10.BNY   ".  The "M" in the
beginning specifies the LENGTH of the file name, 13 characters.  But the
actual length of "SHRINK10.BNY" without the spaces is 12.  This is the
problem. You either have to change the "M" to an "L" or change the space at
the end of the name to any valid ProDOS name character, like ".".

So when you make the modification, the line will look like any of these two
examples:

  1: "LSHRINK10.BNY   ".........
  2: "MSHRINK10.BNY.  ".........

Change all four files to reflect the same.  You should then be able to
use BinSCII to unpack.

neighbor@csd4.milw.wisc.edu