[comp.sys.apple] Apple II Fax

JAJZ801@CALSTATE.BITNET ("Jeff Sicherman,CSU Long Beach") (03/11/89)

   Someone at a computer store told me that Apple is coming out with a
FAX modem/interface. Does anybody know anything about this ? Is it for
the MAC or II(GS) line ? Please reply to me directly, I am not on the
list.

  Jeff Sicherman
   jajz801@calstate.bitnet

>Rotten Apple
>
>   Dug up Feb 89 copy of Computer Shopper (actually wasnt buried TOO deep
>   yet). Has several articles on PC Fax, including two on the Apple one
>   for the MAC. Mentions the bug you recounted and the recent fix.
>
>   Very disappointed no IIGS support, though I would imagine it's a
>   software issue (and marketing, of course - that's what happens when
>   you let soft-drink peddlers into computers - short circuits). I would
>   think the hardware can be interfaced, at least through an adaptor at
>   worst, but without s/w to convert document and picture files to the
>   FAX format, it's useless. Any rumors, vapor or otherwise?

I haven't heard any hints of an adaptation of the Apple FAX (or any other)
for the IIgs.  I suppose that a IIgs connected to an AppleTalk net could
use an Apple FAX on that net(?).  I don't know of a flatbed scanner for
the IIgs either.  Apple doesn't view the IIgs as a business machine (in
fact, I think the very idea horrifies them :-), hence why would anyone with
an Apple 2 have a FAX (narrow vision :-(?

An aside: Did you see 20/20 last night?  Lynn Shearer was interviewing a big
time New York lawyer in his office, and what did he have sitting behind him???
A IIgs!! (I guess even big time New York lawyers can't always afford -- or
justify the added expense of? -- Macs!).

>   I know that Quadram has an external version of their JT Fax, Any info
>   on it re Apple suitability ?

I believe there IS Macintosh software available for FAX's other than Apple's,
but I don't know of any for the Apple IIgs (surprising perhaps in light of
recent news that the IIgs is selling at roughly the same rate <in units> as
the Compaq 386).

>   Thanks again,
>
>   jeff Sicherman   (JAJZ801@CALSTATE.BITNET)

Murph Sewall                       Vaporware? ---> [Gary Larson returns 1/1/90]
Prof. of Marketing     Sewall@UConnVM.BITNET
Business School        sewall%uconnvm.bitnet@mitvma.mit.edu          [INTERNET]
U of Connecticut       {psuvax1 or mcvax }!UCONNVM.BITNET!SEWALL     [UUCP]

-+- I don't speak for my employer, though I frequently wish that I could

According to the American Facsimile Association, more than half the calls
from Japan to the U.S. are fax calls.  FAX it to me at: 1-203-486-5246

delaneyg@wnre.aecl.CDN ("H. Grant Delaney") (03/12/89)

Considering the speed at which Appleworks GS create a Printer File would
you really want to attach a fax to a GS.  Fax images are produced in a similar
way to a DOT MATRIX image with a special set of HI RESOLUTION fonts.  I wonder
if an GS with out speedup is up to producing the file for a 9600 Baud fax
modem.  I suppose the file could be created and then sent I know the GS is up
to high speed file transfers from the RAM DISK.

Grant

JAJZ801@CALSTATE.BITNET ("Jeff Sicherman,CSU Long Beach") (03/12/89)

Date:     Sat, 11 Mar 89 22:24:00 -0600
Sender:   INFO-APP@NDSUVM1
From:     delaneyg%wnre.aecl.cdn@RELAY.UBC.CA
Subject:  RE: Re: Apple II Fax
Comments: To: info-apple@BRL.MIL
Comments: cc: Murph Sewall <SEWALL%UCONNVM.BITNET@mitvma.mit.edu>
To:       JAJZ801@CCS.CSUSCC.CALSTATE.EDU

Considering the speed at which Appleworks GS create a Printer File would
you really want to attach a fax to a GS.  Fax images are produced in a similar
way to a DOT MATRIX image with a special set of HI RESOLUTION fonts.  I wonder
if an GS with out speedup is up to producing the file for a 9600 Baud fax
modem.  I suppose the file could be created and then sent I know the GS is up
to high speed file transfers from the RAM DISK.

Grant

===== Reply from Jeffrey Sicherman <JAJZ801> =========================

  The need was more for functionality than performance and as a way of
getting high-quality images without paying for an expensive FAX machine
(as high as FAX gets in quality - printer limited in this case of course).

  Jeff