[comp.sys.apple] another binscii question

ggray@wpi.wpi.edu (Gary Gray) (03/10/89)

I have a problem with binscii, namely that binscii will not unpack a file
unless I run it through the text editor in Mouse Talk.  I am getting the
files by saving them in my directory on our Unix machine and then downloading
them via Kermit.  What would be in the file that M.T. would filter out and
that would prevent binscii from doing its job.  Without conditioning the files
in this manner binscii just seems to search the file looking for the beginning
of the program and fails.  Is it all in my head that this editor is able to
make the files useable?  I don't edit or anything, I just load them and then
save them....

dcw@athena.mit.edu (David C. Whitney) (03/12/89)

In article <1263@wpi.wpi.edu> ggray@wpi.wpi.edu (Gary Gray) writes:
>I have a problem with binscii, namely that binscii will not unpack a file
>unless I run it through the text editor in Mouse Talk.  I am getting the
>files by saving them in my directory on our Unix machine and then downloading
>them via Kermit.  What would be in the file that M.T. would filter out and
>that would prevent binscii from doing its job?

It seems to be a bug in Kermit. Apparently Kermit sets the high bit
when downloading text. This is the right thing when downlaoding to DOS
3.3, but the wrong thing when downloading to ProDOS. I've fixed the
problem in BinSCII, but something should be done within Kermit (are
you listening, Ted?).

BTW- does anyone know if posts to Apple2-l get cross-posted to
comp.binaries.apple2 anymore? I sent the new BinSCII to apple2-l, but
I'll send it to cba2 if necessary.

Dave Whitney	A junior in Computer Science at MIT
dcw@athena.mit.edu  ...!bloom-beacon!athena.mit.edu!dcw  dcw@goldilocks.mit.edu
I wrote Z-Link & BinSCII. Send me bug reports. I use a //GS. Send me Tech Info.
"This is MIT. Collect and 3rd party calls will not be accepted at this number."

>It seems to be a bug in Kermit. Apparently Kermit sets the high bit

I don't believe either version 3.84 or 3.85 does (I recall the question
coming up during beta testing -- of 3.84 if memory serves, so an early
version of the 3.84 beta may have the flaw).  Remember all the folks
who had trouble getting the EZ Install for 3.85 to work because they
used 3.84 to download to ProDOS and then copied to DOS 3.3 with Apple's
software which DOESN'T flip the high bit when going from one operating
system to another?  That glitch alone should sell lots of copies of
Copy 2 Plus :-)

>when downloading text. This is the right thing when downlaoding to DOS
>3.3, but the wrong thing when downloading to ProDOS. I've fixed the
>problem in BinSCII, but something should be done within Kermit (are
>you listening, Ted?).

Ted is a sometime reader of info-apple (depends on how busy he otherwise
is, like most of us).  If Kermit has a bug; 'tis better to send mail
directly to <medin-t@shark.nosc.mil> but make sure the bug is in Kermit
3.85 dated 20 Dec '88 (otherwise there's some chance of reporting a
problem that's already been fixed).  Do be sure and tell Ted which version
of Kermit you're using :-)

>BTW- does anyone know if posts to Apple2-l get cross-posted to
>comp.binaries.apple2 anymore? I sent the new BinSCII to apple2-l, but
>I'll send it to cba2 if necessary.

Yes, but the cross-posting depends on Paul Nakada who sometimes gets
behind because he's studying (at Harvard they make you do that ;-)

Murph Sewall                       Vaporware? ---> [Gary Larson returns 1/1/90]
Prof. of Marketing     Sewall@UConnVM.BITNET
Business School        sewall%uconnvm.bitnet@mitvma.mit.edu          [INTERNET]
U of Connecticut       {psuvax1 or mcvax }!UCONNVM.BITNET!SEWALL     [UUCP]

-+- I don't speak for my employer, though I frequently wish that I could

According to the American Facsimile Association, more than half the calls
from Japan to the U.S. are fax calls.  FAX it to me at: 1-203-486-5246

dcw@sun-bear.lcs.mit.edu.lcs.mit.EDU ("Dave Whitney A junior in Computer Science at MIT") (03/12/89)

It did, but now it doesn't. I sent the fix to apple2-l, will it go to
comp.binaries.apple2 by itself, or do I need to send it there too?

	Dave