[comp.sys.apple] Jeremy doesn't like GS/OS

>Date:         Sat, 11 Mar 89 22:39:32 CST
>From:         "Jeremy G. Mereness" <jm7e+@ANDREW.CMU.EDU>
>Subject:      Re: Disappointed in the IIgs (was: GS/OS and programming
>              standards)
>
>[...] Any blame for the performance of [AppleWorks GS] is on Apple's
>head, because of their lack of software support and the lousy
>file-handling and memory-overhead associated with GS/OS.

What?  (1) Claris was developing and testing AWGS _with_ GS/OS, and
they knew exactly how fast and how well it worked before they
released it.  Developers are ultimately responsible for doing
whatever is necessary to come up with a product that is usable.  You
can't blame GS/OS for everything.  (2) What is "lack of software
support"?  (3) GS/OS does not have "lousy file handling"--what are
you talking about?  (4) GS/OS takes more memory than ProDOS 16 did;
how does this justify AWGS 1.0 crashing a lot?

>I refuse to accept GS/OS as a good OS, by the way, because I have
>worked with HFS for the Mac, which written much more efficiently.

In what way is Mac OS (I think that's the right term; HFS is a volume
format) more efficient than GS/OS?

>jeremy mereness
>jm7e+@andrew.cmu.edu (arpa)

 --David A. Lyons              bitnet: awcttypa@uiamvs
   DAL Systems                 CompuServe:  72177,3233
   P.O. Box 287                GEnie mail:    D.LYONS2
   North Liberty, IA 52317     AppleLinkPE: Dave Lyons