[comp.sys.apple] interleaves; UniDisk and GS/OS

>Date:         Fri, 10 Mar 89 20:21:28 GMT
>From:         "Philip R. Lindberg"
>              <ssc-vax!shuksan!tahoma!prl3546@BEAVER.CS.WASHINGTON.EDU>
>
>> The Unidisk 3.5 will NOT work on a GS....
>>
>> Todd Davis
>
>The Unidisk will work with a GS _IF_ you use a Central Point Disk
>Controller.  (I have one as my second 3.5 drive)  But it is slow, and GSOS
>& ProDOS will not use any kind of interleaving with it.

ARGGGHHH!  As correctly stated in all the reference material, _both_
the Apple 3.5 and the Unidisk 3.5 work just fine off the GS's
SmartPort connector.  Yes, the Unidisk 3.5 is slower.

"Interleave" refers to the ordering of blocks around a track.  Every
disk has some sort of interleave, unless you can figure out a way
not to put the blocks on the tracks in some order or other.

Unless the software you use to format a 3.5" disk on an Apple 3.5 or
Unidisk 3.5 specifies otherwise, a 4:1 interleave is used.  The
loaded driver for the Apple 3.5 under GS/OS presents you with a
choice of interleaves when you format.  I don't remember for sure,
but I bet the Unidisk driver doesn't.

Under ProDOS, programs that do SmartPort calls can format with any
interleave from 1:1 to 13:1.  2:1 and 4:1 are the only ones normally
used.  2:1 can be read much faster under GS/OS and sometimes under
ProDOS, on an _Apple 3.5_.  2:1 on a UniDisk 3.5 is slow.

 --David A. Lyons              bitnet: awcttypa@uiamvs
   DAL Systems                 CompuServe:  72177,3233
   P.O. Box 287                GEnie mail:    D.LYONS2
   North Liberty, IA 52317     AppleLinkPE: Dave Lyons