[comp.sys.apple] ugghh and the GS

Tabakal@UB.CC.UMICH.EDU (03/07/89)

> My personal advice regarding the Apple IIgs is this: if you NEED
> an Apple II, by a IIc+.  Otherwise, BUY A MAC!!
>
> Better yet, Jeremy, since you're at CMU, maybe you can get access
> to a NeXT.
>
> For legal reasons, I need to spell this out:  THESE ARE MY OPINIONS,
> AND ARE NOT THE OPINIONS, OFFICIAL OR UNOFFICIAL, OF CLARIS OR ITS
> DEVELOPMENT DEPARTMENT.  MINE, MINE, MINE, ALL MINE!  In fact, these
> are about as far from Calris's opinions as you can get.
> --
>          Any opinions you read here are only opinions in my opinion.
> Jeff Erickson                                                 krazy@claris.com
>                  "I'm so heppy I'm mizzabil!"  -- Krazy Kat

I think I'm going to be ill.  If this is what we can expect from Claris
employees, is it a wonder that support is falling fast from many software
companies?  I realize that this is not the official position of Claris,
Inc., but it still hurts.  Bad.

     Todd A. Bakal                          IBM is not a necessary evil.
     U of M Apple User's Group              IBM is not necessary.
     Ann Arbor, Michigan                          -- Ted Nelson

     Internet: Tabakal@ub.cc.umich.edu            FTP: 35.1.1.43
     UUCP: ...!uunet!ub.cc.umich.edu!tabakal      BITnet: Tabakal@UMICHUB

krazy@claris.com (Jeff Erickson) (03/07/89)

From article <2677689@ub.cc.umich.edu>, by Tabakal@UB.CC.UMICH.EDU:
>> My personal advice regarding the Apple IIgs is this: if you NEED
>> an Apple II, by a IIc+.  Otherwise, BUY A MAC!!
>
> I think I'm going to be ill.  If this is what we can expect from Claris
> employees, is it a wonder that support is falling fast from many software
> companies?  I realize that this is not the official position of Claris,
> Inc., but it still hurts.  Bad.

I will rerereiterate this.  Claris will continue to support the IIgs.
More versions of AppleWorks GS are on the drawing board even as we post.
Some very capable people are working on these revisions.  I am not one
of them, for obvious reasons.

I do not have any influence over whether Claris supports the GS.  I am
officially a "software engineer", and I have no intention of becoming a
manager at any point in the forseeable future.  My opinion has been noted
by my managers, and has been appropriately ignored.

My advice is directly based on my perception of Apple's suport of the
machine.  I think it is Apple's actions that is causing the falling
support for the GS among other software companies.

I am not a typical Claris employee; I am by far the most extremely
disappointed (I hope).
--
Jeff Erickson     \  Internet: krazy@claris.com          AppleLink: Erickson4
Claris Corporation \      UUCP: {ames,apple,portal,sun,voder}!claris!krazy

bird@ihlpf.ATT.COM (Walters) (03/07/89)

>> THESE ARE MY OPINIONS,
>> AND ARE NOT THE OPINIONS, OFFICIAL OR UNOFFICIAL, OF CLARIS OR ITS
>> DEVELOPMENT DEPARTMENT.  MINE, MINE, MINE, ALL MINE!  In fact, these
>> are about as far from Calris's opinions as you can get.
>

> I think I'm going to be ill.  If this is what we can expect from Claris
> employees, is it a wonder that support is falling fast from many
> software  companies?

I don't think you should become ill because one employee (who is
probably out the door as we read this) is not loyal. In fact, you
should be happy since he is probably not going to be around there
long enough, in an official capacity, to hurt Apple. If someone
from Sears, etc., spouted off - would you assume that was the
official party line? I think not.

I think his signature line says it all:

      "I'm so heppy I'm mizzabil!"  -- Krazy Kat"

--
				Joe Walters att!ihlpf!bird
				IHP 1F-240 (312) 416-5356

krazy@claris.com (Jeff Erickson) (03/08/89)

From article <7889@ihlpf.ATT.COM>, by bird@ihlpf.ATT.COM (Walters):

>>> THESE ARE MY OPINIONS,
>>> AND ARE NOT THE OPINIONS, OFFICIAL OR UNOFFICIAL, OF CLARIS OR ITS
>>> DEVELOPMENT DEPARTMENT.  MINE, MINE, MINE, ALL MINE!  In fact, these
>>> are about as far from Calris's opinions as you can get.
>> I think I'm going to be ill.  If this is what we can expect from Claris
>> employees, is it a wonder that support is falling fast from many
>> software  companies?
> I don't think you should become ill because one employee (who is
> probably out the door as we read this) is not loyal. In fact, you
> should be happy since he is probably not going to be around there
> long enough, in an official capacity, to hurt Apple. If someone
> from Sears, etc., spouted off - would you assume that was the
> official party line? I think not.

Say what?  I'm going to be around a long time.  But I have no intention
of attaining a position where I coud trash the Apple II even if I wanted
to.  I realize that there are plenty of people who love the machine, and
as such, I want Apple to get its s--t together.

I'm plenty loyal to Apple.  I owuldn't program a "PC" if my life depended
on it.  I'm very happy working on and for the Macintosh.  If anything, I
intend to HELP Apple.

> I think his signature line says it all:

Me, too.  That's why I picked it.

--

tmurphy@wpi.wpi.edu (Tom [Chris] Murphy) (03/09/89)

In article <7889@ihlpf.ATT.COM> bird@ihlpf.ATT.COM (Walters) writes:

>I don't think you should become ill because one employee (who is
>probably out the door as we read this) is not loyal. In fact, you

Don't you think this is a bit uncalled for?  After all, Claris makes
products for all Apple computers, not just the IIGS.  So disliking a
particular Apple product doesn't make him at all 'disloyal'.

--
Thomas C. Murphy         Worcester Polytechnic Institute CAD Lab
Internet:   tmurphy@zaphod.wpi.edu   tmurphy@wpi.wpi.edu

krazy@claris.com (Jeff Erickson) (03/10/89)

From article <1244@wpi.wpi.edu>, by tmurphy@wpi.wpi.edu (Tom [Chris] Murphy):
> In article <7889@ihlpf.ATT.COM> bird@ihlpf.ATT.COM (Walters) writes:
>>
>>I don't think you should become ill because one employee (who is
>>probably out the door as we read this) is not loyal. In fact, you
>
> Don't you think this is a bit uncalled for?  After all, Claris makes
> products for all Apple computers, not just the IIGS.  So disliking a
> particular Apple product doesn't make him at all 'disloyal'.

Thanks, but I think he means loyal to the Apple II.  In that respect,
his accusation of my disloyalty is correct.

--

RXBROWN@UALR.BITNET ("MR.FANTASTIC") (03/10/89)

THOMAS C. MURPHY WRITES:
>.... After all, Claris makes products for all Apple computers. not just
>the IIGS. .......

Claris make one product for the GS. If there are others please point them
out to me. The one they do make, they had to buy a company to get it.

Robert Brown
BITNET: RXBROWN@UALR
APLE: ROBPHD

lwv@n8emr.UUCP (Larry W. Virden) (03/11/89)

Actually, Claris is currently selling two totally different programs for the
Apple II line of computers.  One is called Appleworks GS - it only runs on
GS/OS - GS compatible computers.  The other is Called Appleworks (oer perhaps
by now Appleworks Classic) ; it runs on ALL apple II computers (well, with
the exception of 48k Apple IIs without 80 column).
--
Larry W. Virden	 674 Falls Place, Reynoldsburg, OH 43068 (614) 864-8817
75046,606 (CIS) ; LVirden (ALPE) ; osu-cis!n8emr!lwv (UUCP)

RXBROWN@UALR.BITNET ("MR.FANTASTIC") (03/13/89)

TO Larry Virden...

If you could read I was talking about GS specific programs.

Robert Brown