[comp.sys.apple] GS Finder bugs; dithering

>Date:         Sat, 11 Mar 89 17:02:42 GMT
>From:         "David C. Whitney" <dcw@ATHENA.MIT.EDU>
>Subject:      Re: Re: GS/OS Compatability issues

>[...] The Finder crash has been attributed to a programming error in
>the FINDER.  The programmer failed to lock down a handle, and
>*sometimes* memory gets shuffled around when launching the next
>program. This seems to happen *only* after running some P8 program.

That was fixed at System Disk 3.2, I believe.  The handle involved
contained the Finder's actual code, and it was getting unlocked when
the Loader put the Finder into zombie state, or something much like
that.  Anyway, it's fixed.

>Note also that GS/OS sometimes doesn't launch P8 stuff very well.
>Z-Link works just fine from under GS/OS (I do it all the time - not
>figuratively but literally). Unfortunately, sometimes it gets
>launched poorly, and parts of it don't load properly. [...]

That isn't very helpful.  If there is _really_ something wrong that
is GS/OS's fault, take the time to figure out exactly what it is so
it can be fixed.

>This one isn't finder-specific...Why are windows restricted on their
>ability to move horizontally? I want to move a window one or two
>pixels to the right, but it always goes in groups of 8 (I think). I
>know it isn't a problem with where the window can be drawn, as a
>window can be placed anywhere when it's created. It just won't move
>in small increments.

See the SetOriginMask call in the Window Manager chapter of the
toolbox reference.  That will clear up most of your questions.

I don't know offhand what value the Finder uses for its windows'
origin masks, but you could find out reasonably easily if you have
Nifty List handy:  while in the Finder, go into NL and use the i
command to find the big Finder code segment, and note the bank
number.  Type "SetOriginMask (with the leading quote) to find the
function number for SetOriginMask, which is $340e.  Typ "*" to drop
into the monitor, and type  \A2 0E 34 22 00 00 E1\<bb/0.ffffp, where
bb is the bank containing the Finder code.  This will show you all
the SetOriginMask calls the Finder makes.  Look at the value pushed
before the window pointer; this value is ANDed into window positions
and window origins.  The most sensible value would be $FFFE, which
keeps everything even so that the dithered colors don't get messed
up.

>Dave Whitney   A junior in Computer Science at MIT
>dcw@athena.mit.edu  ...!bloom-beacon!athena.mit.edu!dcw dcw@goldilocks.mit.edu

 --David A. Lyons              bitnet: awcttypa@uiamvs
   DAL Systems                 CompuServe:  72177,3233
   P.O. Box 287                GEnie mail:    D.LYONS2
   North Liberty, IA 52317     AppleLinkPE: Dave Lyons

dcw@athena.mit.edu (David C. Whitney) (03/13/89)

In article <8903121925.aa07134@SMOKE.BRL.MIL> AWCTTYPA@UIAMVS.BITNET ("David A. Lyons") writes:
>>Date:         Sat, 11 Mar 89 17:02:42 GMT
>>From:         "David C. Whitney" <dcw@ATHENA.MIT.EDU>
>>Subject:      Re: Re: GS/OS Compatability issues
>
>>Note also that GS/OS sometimes doesn't launch P8 stuff very well.
>>Z-Link works just fine from under GS/OS (I do it all the time - not
>>figuratively but literally). Unfortunately, sometimes it gets
>>launched poorly, and parts of it don't load properly. [...]
>
>That isn't very helpful.  If there is _really_ something wrong that
>is GS/OS's fault, take the time to figure out exactly what it is so
>it can be fixed.

Sorry I can't be more specific, but the machine freezes solid. I can describe
in detail one sort of crash though...

I run Z-Link. The title comes up fine. I press a key to start the terminal.
The date comes up along with the "press OA-? for help". Then there's a pause
of about a second. The every other column (the aux side of the 80 cols) fills
with inverse @ signs. At that point, the machine is stuck - I press RESET and
it reboots.

Other oddities show up in file xfer. Z-Link doesn't actually crash,
but it acts very strange. For example, the effective baud rate drops
to about 2 or less.  Or, during xmodem xfer, several blocks go by just
fine, when all of a sudden it goes on an error kick. Just a bad phone
connection you say? It dies on the same block repeatedly. I try again
and again to send the file, and it always croaks. If I reboot the
machine, it gets happy. Note that this trouble shows up ONLY during
file xfer. It gets happy once back in terminal mode.

Note that this activity is rare, but it is VERY annoying when it does crop up.

Hope what I've said is at least partially helpful.

Dave Whitney	A junior in Computer Science at MIT
dcw@athena.mit.edu  ...!bloom-beacon!athena.mit.edu!dcw  dcw@goldilocks.mit.edu
I wrote Z-Link & BinSCII. Send me bug reports. I use a //GS. Send me Tech Info.
"This is MIT. Collect and 3rd party calls will not be accepted at this number."