[comp.sys.apple] Digital DF3 modem

dseah@wpi.wpi.edu (David I Seah) (03/12/89)

A friend of mine rescued a DEC DF3 1200 baud modem from a local trash
dumpster.  It has phone jacks and an RS232 serial port.  He has tried hooking
it up on his GS through a Super Serial card, but it doesn't work.  Can
somebody pass on some information on how to interface to this beast?

Thanks in advance,

cs1552ao@charon.unm.edu (Lazlo Nibble) (03/13/89)

In article <1288@wpi.wpi.edu> dseah@wpi.wpi.edu (David I Seah) writes:
> A friend of mine rescued a DEC DF3 1200 baud modem from a local trash
> dumpster.  It has phone jacks and an RS232 serial port.  He has tried hooking
> it up on his GS through a Super Serial card, but it doesn't work.

Gee, straight-out-of-the-trash-dumpster and it doesn't work!  What IS the
computer industry coming to? :-)

                                                                         Lazlo
cs1552ao@charon.unm.edu               Boy On The Beach is crying...
 SysEx: +1 505 266 7114               Boy On The Beach cries a river of tears.

>A friend of mine rescued a DEC DF3 1200 baud modem from a local trash
>dumpster.  It has phone jacks and an RS232 serial port.  He has tried hooking
>it up on his GS through a Super Serial card, but it doesn't work.  Can
>somebody pass on some information on how to interface to this beast?

Has it occured to you all that the modem was in the dumpster for a reason
(it costs more to repair it than to replace it)?  Have you any evidence
that the thing works (connected to ANY computer -- a PC-clone sounds
appropriate :-)?

Murph Sewall                       Vaporware? ---> [Gary Larson returns 1/1/90]
Prof. of Marketing     Sewall@UConnVM.BITNET
Business School        sewall%uconnvm.bitnet@mitvma.mit.edu          [INTERNET]
U of Connecticut       {psuvax1 or mcvax }!UCONNVM.BITNET!SEWALL     [UUCP]

-+- I don't speak for my employer, though I frequently wish that I could

According to the American Facsimile Association, more than half the calls
from Japan to the U.S. are fax calls.  FAX it to me at: 1-203-486-5246

dseah@wpi.wpi.edu (David I Seah) (03/14/89)

In article <4637@charon.unm.edu> cs1552ao@charon.unm.edu.UUCP (Lazlo Nibble) writes:
>In article <1288@wpi.wpi.edu> dseah@wpi.wpi.edu (David I Seah) writes:
>> A friend of mine rescued a DEC DF3 1200 baud modem from a local trash
>> dumpster.  It has phone jacks and an RS232 serial port.  He has tried hooking
>> it up on his GS through a Super Serial card, but it doesn't work.
>
>Gee, straight-out-of-the-trash-dumpster and it doesn't work!  What IS the
>computer industry coming to? :-)

Uh, I forgot to mention that our trash dumpster contains outmoded equipment
that tends to function.  Functioning VT52s have surfaced overnight, to be
snatched away by equipment-hungry techies.  300 baud acoustic modems have been
liberated, and worked!  The DF3 is a 1200 baud modem (I hear), that got
replaced by a chain of 2400baud modems for our campus network.

Let me rephrase my request:  Does anybody have any reference materials on
interfacing the Digital DF3 1200 baud modem through an RS232 port?

At least, somebody rescued a Graphics Tablet from the Heap!  Check out your
local trash for the latest in yesterdays hardware! :)