[comp.sys.apple] Display problems IIgs older software

bird@ihlpf.ATT.COM (Walters) (03/13/89)

When I boot up FONTRIX (a program that displays images on the
HI-RES screen) on my IIgs and load in a GRAFFILE I made years ago
on my //e, the lines of the drawing and text are almost impossible
to read because they are made up from different colored pieces.

Thinking this might be a problem with my equipment, I went to the
local Apple dealer and experienced the same problem using their
Apple IIgs. They told me that it is a software problem. Since I
have the "latest" FONTRIX, that did not make me a happy camper.

I have seen this problem on a number of my older programs and would
like to know if there is a way to either fix the IIgs or the
software.
--
				Joe Walters att!ihlpf!bird
				IHP 1F-240 (312) 416-5356

dseah@wpi.wpi.edu (David I Seah) (03/14/89)

In article <7940@ihlpf.ATT.COM> bird@ihlpf.ATT.COM (Walters) writes:
>When I boot up FONTRIX (a program that displays images on the
>HI-RES screen) on my IIgs and load in a GRAFFILE I made years ago
>on my //e, the lines of the drawing and text are almost impossible
>to read because they are made up from different colored pieces.
>
>Thinking this might be a problem with my equipment, I went to the
>local Apple dealer and experienced the same problem using their
>Apple IIgs. They told me that it is a software problem. Since I
>have the "latest" FONTRIX, that did not make me a happy camper.
>				Joe Walters att!ihlpf!bird
>				IHP 1F-240 (312) 416-5356

Software problem, my a**.  Did you use a monochrome monitor with your IIe?
The color you are seeing is an inherent "feature" of the Apple II hires
screen.  In the Apple II Classic Hires Screen, color of a pixel was determined
by its horizontal POSITION and the "High bit" of the associated byte.  On a
monochrome monitor, color translates to more horizontal resolution.  If you
are working with Apple II Classic Hires in color, you have an effective
140(horizontal)x192 resolution.  If you are working in monochrome, you get
280x192 res.  If you are into blinding eyestrain, you can squeeze limited
560x192 resolution out of the monochrome monitor.

The color problems you are experiencing with your IIGS would also be
observable on a IIe equipped with a composite color monitor, except they would
be a little fuzzier.  The IIGSs amazing RGB monitor merely reproduces this
"feature" very very well!  You can also see color problems with Dazzle Draw.
According to the manual, Dazzle Draw tweaks its colors to look their sharpest
on a composite color monitor.  The tweaking comes out as nasty color fringes
on the GS.  If you want to eliminate the problem, you can dig up an old
monochrome monitor, or print your graffile everytime you want to read it :>

jearls@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (Johnson Michael Earls) (03/14/89)

In article <7940@ihlpf.ATT.COM> bird@ihlpf.ATT.COM (Walters) writes:
>When I boot up FONTRIX (a program that displays images on the
>HI-RES screen) on my IIgs and load in a GRAFFILE I made years ago
>on my //e, the lines of the drawing and text are almost impossible
>to read because they are made up from different colored pieces.

Try going to the control panel under display and setting it to Monochrome.
This should work on a composite monitor; I'm not sure for an RGB...

>				Joe Walters att!ihlpf!bird
>				IHP 1F-240 (312) 416-5356

 ( 0  0 )      |   Johnson Earls    - jearls@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU             |
(|   >  |) ___/                     - jearls@polyslo.UUCP                    |
 ( \__/ ) <___                      - ..!ucbvax!voder!polyslo!jearls         |