[comp.sys.apple] Addison-Wesley ref books; Technotes for mortals

>Date:     Mon, 13 Mar 89 12:07 EST
>From:     "If it doesn't kill you, it's good for you."
>          <PGOETZ@LOYVAX>
>Subject:  Books & Technotes

Phil didn't send a copy of these questions to the net, as far as I
can tell, but I bet others will be interested in the answers.

>1. What are the Addison-Wesley books?

Here are the ones I know of.  They're official reference manuals. Get
your local bookstore to order them for you, or buy them through APDA
if you want to pay list price, or order them cheaper through
A2-Central (1-913-469-6502).  I'm not actually sure whether they'll
sell you books if you don't subscribe to the newsletter--I've never
asked, since I subscribe.

_Apple IIgs Hardware Reference_
_Apple IIgs Firmware Reference_
_Apple IIgs Toolbox Reference_ volumes 1 and 2
_ProDOS 8 Technical Reference Manual_
_Apple IIgs ProDOS 16 Reference_
_Human Interface Guidelines_
_Apple Numerics Manual_

These may also be Addison-Wesley books--they're listed with the
others, but I don't have them (at least not the A-W versions):

_Technical Introduction to the Apple IIgs_
_Programmer's Introduction to the Apple IIgs_
_Apple IIgs Programmer's Workshop Reference_
_Apple IIgs Programmer's Workshop Assembler Reference_
_Apple IIgs Programmer's Workshop C Reference_

>2. Technotes:  Right!  Like mere mortals can really get hold of technotes?
>   How could I get them?

Mere mortals can indeed get technotes.  Apple places no restrictions
on their distribution, other than that they can't be resold.

First check your local user group, or see if anybody you know already
has them on paper.  You can xerox them if you want.  You can buy them
from APDA, but that isn't particularly cheap.

A2-Central included them (packed with BLU) up to December 88 on their
second disk of the month (March 89).  Presumably they'll updates in
the future.  You can give A2-Central a call at 1-913-469-6502; I
think you can buy individual disks-of-the-month for $10 even if you
don't subscribe to the newsletter.

You can download them from AppleLink--Personal Edition (like I did),
or from CompuServe or GEnie.  (Last I noticed, ALPE was more up to
date--the other services had the December notes there, but not the
January ones. The March TNs should be out soon, and I won't be
surprised if they are available on ALPE before they are available on
paper.)

Finally, provided I don't get totally overwhelmed by the response,
I'm willing to mail on the technotes on 3.5" disks at cost.  I get my
supplies from MEI, and my cost (including shipping) is:  2 3.5" disks
at 81 cents = $1.61; cardboard mailer, 23 cents; 3 ounces first-class
postage, 65 cents (in USA).  That adds up to $2.50.  If you send
enough to cover my cost (you can supply the disks instead of paying
for them if you want, etc), I'll send you the most recent technotes I
have at the time.  (I reserve the right to cram some of my Shareware
on the disks, too.)

>Phil Goetz

Disclaimer:  I subscribe to A2-Central, but they don't pay me to say
good things about them.  MEI doesn't pay me either, they just sell
me lots of supplies.

 --David A. Lyons              bitnet: awcttypa@uiamvs
   DAL Systems                 CompuServe:  72177,3233
   P.O. Box 287                GEnie mail:    D.LYONS2
   North Liberty, IA 52317     AppleLinkPE: Dave Lyons

>Mere mortals can indeed get technotes.  Apple places no restrictions
>on their distribution, other than that they can't be resold.
>
>First check your local user group, or see if anybody you know already
>has them on paper.  You can xerox them if you want.
>
>You can download them from AppleLink--Personal Edition (like I did),
>or from CompuServe or GEnie.  (Last I noticed, ALPE was more up to
>date--the other services had the December notes there, but not the
>January ones. The March TNs should be out soon, and I won't be
>surprised if they are available on ALPE before they are available on
>paper.)

Lest we forget, Mark Johnson made (makes?) the notes available on this net
as well --

For BITNET users, Brown ... Apple2-L
For FTP fanciers, you can try the following:
         Place                            Maintainer
      Univ. of Michigan  35.1.1.43 "Todd A. Bakal" <Tabakal@UB.CC.UMICH.EDU>
      Harvard            128.103.1.56 Paul Nakada <nakada@husc4.harvard.edu>
      Univ. of Kentucky  128.163.128.6 <aash@ms.uky.edu>

Murph Sewall                       Vaporware? ---> [Gary Larson returns 1/1/90]
Prof. of Marketing     Sewall@UConnVM.BITNET
Business School        sewall%uconnvm.bitnet@mitvma.mit.edu          [INTERNET]
U of Connecticut       {psuvax1 or mcvax }!UCONNVM.BITNET!SEWALL     [UUCP]

-+- I don't speak for my employer, though I frequently wish that I could

According to the American Facsimile Association, more than half the calls
from Japan to the U.S. are fax calls.  FAX it to me at: 1-203-486-5246

mjohnson@Apple.COM (Mark B. Johnson) (03/14/89)

In article <8903131711.aa03185@SMOKE.BRL.MIL> SEWALL@UCONNVM.BITNET (Murph Sewall) writes:

>Lest we forget, Mark Johnson made (makes?) the notes available on this net
>as well --
>
>For BITNET users, Brown ... Apple2-L
>For FTP fanciers, you can try the following:
>         Place                            Maintainer
>      Univ. of Michigan  35.1.1.43 "Todd A. Bakal" <Tabakal@UB.CC.UMICH.EDU>
>      Harvard            128.103.1.56 Paul Nakada <nakada@husc4.harvard.edu>
>      Univ. of Kentucky  128.163.128.6 <aash@ms.uky.edu>

Definitely Makes.  I send them out as soon as I get them converted to ASCII
format.  It's just a long process to convert them all...

Mark B. Johnson                                            AppleLink: mjohnson
Developer Technical Support                         domain: mjohnson@Apple.com
Apple Computer, Inc.         UUCP:  {amdahl,decwrl,sun,unisoft}!apple!mjohnson

"You gave your life to become the person you are right now.  Was it worth it?"
                                                         - Richard Bach, _One_