[comp.sys.apple] GS monochrome hi-res mode

In article <7940@ihlpf.ATT.COM> bird@ihlpf.ATT.COM (Walters) writes:
>When I boot up FONTRIX (a program that displays images on the
>HI-RES screen) on my IIgs and load in a GRAFFILE I made years ago
>on my //e, the lines of the drawing and text are almost impossible
>to read because they are made up from different colored pieces.
>
>Thinking this might be a problem with my equipment, I went to the
>local Apple dealer and experienced the same problem using their
>Apple IIgs. They told me that it is a software problem. Since I
>have the "latest" FONTRIX, that did not make me a happy camper.
>  Joe Walters att!ihlpf!bird
>  IHP 1F-240 (312) 416-5356

As Dave Seah said, it ought to look okay on a monochrome
monitor--but there's another option which ought to work for you.
There _is_ a "monochrome hi-res" mode on the GS, as noted in Apple
IIgs technote #29.

You need to do two things.  Select Monochrome in the Control Panel;
this sets bit 5 of $C029.  The technote also says to select 40
columns in the Control Panel.  Then you twiddle, or have your
program twiddle, location $C05E.  The TN says to do that after
turning on hires, but I think it works the other way, too.  So try
doing a POKE 49246,0 and then running Fontrix (withOUT hitting Reset
to do it).

 --David A. Lyons              bitnet: awcttypa@uiamvs
   DAL Systems                 CompuServe:  72177,3233
   P.O. Box 287                GEnie mail:    D.LYONS2
   North Liberty, IA 52317     AppleLinkPE: Dave Lyons