[comp.sys.apple] Apple/Amiga, etc.

>Date:         Mon, 13 Mar 89 14:33:00 EST
>From:         CHEESEBALL@ALBION
>Subject:      How Many More Times...

>It's that simple, how many more times will people twist and distort
>what I say about the IIgs?!!  I'm really perturbed/disturbed about
>the way my thoughts have been dissected.  Dave Lyons is dead wrong.

I certainly disagree with you about some things, but I have not
intentionally distorted or twisted your statements.  If I have done
it unintentionally, I apologize.

>Dave, a) I was talking about Apple Works GS which is slower than
>drying cow feces, and

Did I ever disagree with that?  AWGS 1.0 is not something you can get
a whole lot of productive work done with, at leat not without a
TransWarp GS (I don't have one).  I have high hopes for future AWGS
versions (& future System Disks, to go with it), but for now I use
AppleWorks Classic, with a 1 meg desktop on the GS.

>b) check out what an Amiga has to offer in the realm of entertainment
>software to see how it blows the doors off the GS.

I'll take your word for it.  My GS has never failed to entertain me,
but my idea of "entertainment" is probably a lot different from
yours.  I didn't guy the thing because I wanted to play a lot games.

>[...] Now I'm reading that the end of the Apple II is coming before
>the end of this year. [...]  Two years is a ridiculous amount of time
>to slip away whilst no changes occur.  Think about that, Mr. Lyons.

First, if you read the right things, you can read whatever you want.
What you choose to believe is another thing entirely.  Personally, I
have never even heard of this Denise person before she said the II
line is going to go away this year, and I have zero reason to take
her word for it.

Second, plenty of changes have occured in the last two years. Changes
of the kind I care about:  software.  That doesn't mean that there
haven't been hardware changes in the works that haven't seen the
light of day yet, but I really don't care as much about the hardware
as the software.  There is a considerable gap still to be filled
between what our present hadware can do and what it does (I'm talking
mostly about desktop/toolbox stuff, not necessarily entertainment
software that already goes right to the hardware).

>How come several new Mac products (including the new IIcx which just
>came out) have entered the market place since the introduction fo the
>GS and not a thing has happened to the II (except the IIc+ which is
>faster[!!] than the GS)?! [...]

I don't have much of anything useful to say about the Macintosh
line--there are so many different models that I have no idea what
the different ones are good for.

The IIc+ is faster for running 8-bit software, but not for running
GS software.

>                                        An Extremely Pissed off
>                                                        Dave Srinivasan

 --David A. Lyons              bitnet: awcttypa@uiamvs
   DAL Systems                 CompuServe:  72177,3233
   P.O. Box 287                GEnie mail:    D.LYONS2
   North Liberty, IA 52317     AppleLinkPE: Dave Lyons