[comp.sys.apple] Apple IIGS Rumours

alb@cognos.uucp (Al Belyea) (03/02/89)

I've heard the following rumours lately and I'm wondering if anyone can
comment on them?

Reasonably Believable:

1. There is a new version of GS/OS to be released at AppleFest.

2. There is a IIGS ROM upgrade to be announced at AppleFest. It is rumoured to
   be a 512K ROM replacement up from the existing 128K ROMs. It requires the
   new GS/OS version to run.

3. Claris will release an upgrade to AppleWorks GS at AppleFest.

Somewhat Believable:

4. Apple and Applied Engineering have cut a deal to supply the TransWarp GS
   as a standard card in the IIGS. (somewhat like the 512K RAM card is standard
   now). This gets the GS speed up to snuff immediately and allows Apple to
   architect a longer term motherboard replacement.

Inconceivable:

5. Apple just purchased 100,000 65832 chips from Western.

As usual, any comments, confirmations or denials on these rumours is welcome.

--
Al Belyea                                                3755 Riverside Dr.
Cognos Incorporated       UUCP:                          P.O. Box 9707

bartlett@asuvax.asu.edu (Gregory M. Bartlett) (03/15/89)

In article <5407@cognos.UUCP>, alb@cognos.uucp (Al Belyea) writes:

> I've heard the following rumours lately and I'm wondering if anyone can
> comment on them?

	[rumors deleted]

> 5. Apple just purchased 100,000 65832 chips from Western.
>
> As usual, any comments, confirmations or denials on these rumours is welcome.

	I visited WDC the week this post was made and according to Deborah
	Lamoree (Their sales manager) Mr. Mensch has just started the design
	of the '832 chip.

> --
> Al Belyea                                                3755 Riverside Dr.
> Cognos Incorporated       UUCP:                          P.O. Box 9707
> (613) 738-1338 x3822      uunet!mitel!sce!cognos!alb     Ottawa, Ontario
> "Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana"  	 CANADA  K1G 3Z4

Greg Bartlett			Arizona State University CS Grad(fall 88)
WESTNET : bartlett@asuvax.eas.edu
BITNET  : AUGMB@ASUACAD
UUCP    : Damnifino

PS : Regarding the HyperC posting.  We don't get any of the binary groups here
but I can reach BROWNVM and all the anon. ftp sites.  I haven't seen the HyperC
posting at any of these places.  Is it on the APPLE2-L (Murphy or Chris), or
any of the ftp sites?  Thanks for any help.