[comp.sys.apple] ShrinkIt v1.0

a172@mindlink.UUCP (Michael Carman) (03/06/89)

Why can ShrinkIt v1.0 not be run from BASIC like the older versions? Is it
doing something non-standard which causes it not to work like a SYS program
normally would?

blochowi@cat28.CS.WISC.EDU (Jason Blochowiak) (03/13/89)

In article <105@mindlink.UUCP> a172@mindlink.UUCP (Michael Carman) writes:
>Why can ShrinkIt v1.0 not be run from BASIC like the older versions? Is it
>doing something non-standard which causes it not to work like a SYS program
>normally would?

	I've never tried running ShrinkIt from Basic, but the problem is
almost certainly because of size. When Basic.System loads in and
starts up, it sets up certain memory boundaries - ShrinkIt's size would cause
the boundaries to be exceeded, so the load fails. There are other SYS files
that do this - it's nothing unusual. In other words, ShrinkIt isn't doing
anything wierd...
		Jason Blochowiak (blochowi@garfield.cs.wisc.edu)
			"Not your average iconoclast..."

nicholaA@moravian.EDU (03/13/89)

>Why can ShrinkIt v1.0 not be run from BASIC like the older versions? Is it
>doing something non-standard which causes it not to work like a SYS program
>normally would?

ShrinkIt 1.0 and 1.1 cannot be run from BASIC.SYSTEM because they are too
large for basic to load.  If you want to run shrinkit, I suggest you get a
program launcher like ProSel or ecp8 (which is freeware now, btw).

BASIC.SYSTEM just "happens" to be able to launch other SYS files, like a
"normal" program launcher, but it only can load stuff between $2000 and
$9600, the base of its internal buffers.  Anything that is extremely large
is impossible for basic.system to launch.

-------------
Andy Nicholas                  CsNET: shrinkit@moravian.edu
Box 435, Moravian College   InterNET: shrinkit%moravian.edu@relay.cs.net
Bethlehem, PA  18018                  liberty!batman!shrinkit@sun.com
                                uucp: rutgers!lafcol!lehi3b15!mc70!shrinkit
AppleLink PE: ShrinkIt                rutgers!liberty!batman!shrinkit

Send replies to "shrinkit" as our mailer is case-sensitive.

ART100@PSUVM.BITNET ("Andy Tefft 862-6728", 814) (03/13/89)

-0500

Original note:

>>Why can ShrinkIt v1.0 not be run from BASIC like the older versions? Is it
>
>ShrinkIt 1.0 and 1.1 cannot be run from BASIC.SYSTEM because they are too
>large for basic to load.  If you want to run shrinkit, I suggest you get a
>program launcher like ProSel or ecp8 (which is freeware now, btw).

Ah, but shells such as ecp8 are not real convenient when using floppies...
I wouldn't expect anyone with a hard drive to not be using a program
selector by now (I can't imagine trying to find files on a hard drive
without one, but no hard drive for me yet). If you rename shrinkit to
shrinkit.system and make it the first .system file on a floppy with
PRODOS, it will boot up from that automatically, and if you also copy
basic.system onto that disk, you can at least quit to basic...

BTW - if anyone out there is still using 1200 baud when their host
can support 2400, get a 2400 baud modem! The difference is quite like
the difference between 300 and 1200... I just got myself a 2400-baud
modem and it's great! Quicker for downloading, too...

>BTW - if anyone out there is still using 1200 baud when their host
>can support 2400, get a 2400 baud modem! The difference is quite like
>the difference between 300 and 1200... I just got myself a 2400-baud
>modem and it's great! Quicker for downloading, too...

I've used a 1200 at home and a 2400 at work for some time now.  The
difference (2 to 1) IS NOT as noticeable as the difference between 300
and 1200 (4 to 1).  In fact, since I can neither read nor type at 120
characters a second, I haven't found the greater speed of 2400 worth the
$$$ to upgrade my modem at home (I'll be tempted once I see a really
good price on a MNP-5 2400, because I do get annoyed by phone noise
from time to time and because the compression feature of level 5 IS
supposed to produce something appearing to be closer to a 4 to 1 speed
difference).  I haven't even noticed that file transfer is all that much
faster (though since I tend to transmit files of mostly less than 20K, it's
little wonder I don't notice a striking difference).

Murph Sewall                       Vaporware? ---> [Gary Larson returns 1/1/90]
Prof. of Marketing     Sewall@UConnVM.BITNET
Business School        sewall%uconnvm.bitnet@mitvma.mit.edu          [INTERNET]
U of Connecticut       {psuvax1 or mcvax }!UCONNVM.BITNET!SEWALL     [UUCP]

-+- I don't speak for my employer, though I frequently wish that I could

According to the American Facsimile Association, more than half the calls
from Japan to the U.S. are fax calls.  FAX it to me at: 1-203-486-5246

lwv@n8emr.UUCP (Larry W. Virden) (03/13/89)

In article <8903122201.aa08297@SMOKE.BRL.MIL> ART100@PSUVM.BITNET ("Andy Tefft  862-6728", 814) writes:
-->Ah, but shells such as ecp8 are not real convenient when using floppies...

Have you tried it on floppies yet?  I have to admit, I first used ecp8
on 5.25" and it wasnt the easiest to use, but on 3.5" floppies it works
fine as does APW and davex.  In fact, ecp8 is the primary way I use my
IIgs.  Perhaps if I ever buy a hard disk for my GS I will begin using ECP16
or one of the other shells, but for the time being, ecp8 has most of what I
need (except for editing of the previous command... sigh .

--
Larry W. Virden	 674 Falls Place, Reynoldsburg, OH 43068 (614) 864-8817
75046,606 (CIS) ; LVirden (ALPE) ; osu-cis!n8emr!lwv (UUCP)

jb211@UXF.CSO.UIUC.EDU (Jawaid Bazyar) (03/15/89)

>Why can ShrinkIt v1.0 not be run from BASIC like the older versions? Is it
>doing something non-standard which causes it not to work like a SYS program
>normally would?

Just go to the directory with Shrinkit, type "BYE", and use the ProDOS
QUIT thingy. Works great with Proterm, Shrinkit,and the like.

jawaid bazyar
jb211@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu