[comp.sys.apple] Shrink It File Type...

FFDDO@ALASKA.BITNET (David Oberhart) (03/14/89)

For those of us who care, can we settle on something?
I use Davex, and it allows me to identify file types with letters.  You
know, BAS, AWP, BIN, and so forth...
I propose that $E0 (Shrink It shrunk files) be designated with the
letters SRK.
I'm not sure if that combo is already being used, but it sounded good to me.
There's something to be said for continuity.
David Oberhart
<FFDDO@ALASKA>
CIS 72047,1004
If it's "Spring Break, why am I still working?

nicholaA@moravian.EDU (03/14/89)

>For those of us who care, can we settle on something?
>I use Davex, and it allows me to identify file types with letters.  You
>know, BAS, AWP, BIN, and so forth...

>I propose that $E0 (Shrink It shrunk files) be designated with the
>letters SRK.

ShrinkIT's filetype/auxtype combination is $e0/$8002 -- ACU's is $e0/$8001,
an ALU's is $e0/$8000.  The assigned mnemonic for filetype $e0 is "LBR"
for "Library" file (or archive).  Please use it.

>I'm not sure if that combo is already being used, but it sounded good to me.
>There's something to be said for continuity.

Well, in this case, everything's been assigned by apple already.  If you
peruse the new filetype technotes, you'll find this sort of information in
there...

>David Oberhart
><FFDDO@ALASKA>
>CIS 72047,1004
>If it's "Spring Break, why am I still working?

----
Andy Nicholas                     CsNET: shrinkit@moravian.edu
Box 435, Moravian College      InterNET: shrinkit%moravian.edu@relay.cs.net
Bethlehem, PA  18018                     liberty!batman!shrinkit@sun.com
----                               UUCP: rutgers!lafcol!lehi3b15!mc70!shrinkit
I have a CD player, send CD's.           rutgers!liberty!batman!shrinkit
I have a IIgs, send a GS+.     ALink PE: shrinkit
I wrote ShrinkIt, send tylenol.

mjohnson@Apple.COM (Mark B. Johnson) (03/15/89)

In article <8903140004.aa06830@SMOKE.BRL.MIL> FFDDO%ALASKA.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu writes:
>For those of us who care, can we settle on something?
>I use Davex, and it allows me to identify file types with letters.  You
>know, BAS, AWP, BIN, and so forth...
>I propose that $E0 (Shrink It shrunk files) be designated with the
>letters SRK.

Sorry, $E0 is a generic library or compressed data file.  If the file has
an auxiliary type of $0002 then it is a ShrinkIt file.  Read your File Type
Notes...

Mark B. Johnson                                            AppleLink: mjohnson
Developer Technical Support                         domain: mjohnson@Apple.com
Apple Computer, Inc.         UUCP:  {amdahl,decwrl,sun,unisoft}!apple!mjohnson

"You gave your life to become the person you are right now.  Was it worth it?"
                                                         - Richard Bach, _One_

jetzer@studsys.mu.edu (jetzer) (03/15/89)

In article <8903140004.aa06830@SMOKE.BRL.MIL>, FFDDO@ALASKA.BITNET (David Oberhart) writes:
> For those of us who care, can we settle on something?
> I use Davex, and it allows me to identify file types with letters.  You
> know, BAS, AWP, BIN, and so forth...
> I propose that $E0 (Shrink It shrunk files) be designated with the
> letters SRK.

The thing that surprised me was that Shrinkit lists its own files as
type $E0, rather than type "SRK" in the file dialog box.

--
Mike Jetzer
"Hack first, ask questions later."

nicholaA@moravian.EDU (03/15/89)

>In article <8903140004.aa06830@SMOKE.BRL.MIL>, FFDDO@ALASKA.BITNET (David Ober
hart) writes:
>> For those of us who care, can we settle on something?
>> I use Davex, and it allows me to identify file types with letters.  You
>> know, BAS, AWP, BIN, and so forth...
>> I propose that $E0 (Shrink It shrunk files) be designated with the
>> letters SRK.

>The thing that surprised me was that Shrinkit lists its own files as
>type $E0, rather than type "SRK" in the file dialog box.

Ack!  No!  The proper filetype mnemonic for $E0 files is "LBR" for "LiBRary"
files (archives, that sort of thing).

ShrinkIT displays it as $e0, not "LBR" because when I started this project,
no one had a clue as to what "LBR" files were.  I suppose I'll change it
in the next version...

>--
>Mike Jetzer
>"Hack first, ask questions later."

andy

----
Andy Nicholas                     CsNET: shrinkit@moravian.edu
Box 435, Moravian College      InterNET: shrinkit%moravian.edu@relay.cs.net
Bethlehem, PA  18018                     liberty!batman!shrinkit@sun.com
----                               UUCP: rutgers!lafcol!lehi3b15!mc70!shrinkit
I have a CD player, send CD's.           rutgers!liberty!batman!shrinkit
I have a IIgs, send a GS+.     ALink PE: shrinkit
I wrote ShrinkIT, send aspirin.

nicholaA@moravian.EDU (03/15/89)

II+ ShrinkIT 1.0 is done.  I sent a copy of it to AppleLink PE tonight, along
with Murph Sewall, Todd South, Mark Johnson, Dave Whitney, Grant Delaney,
and Jason Blochowiak (did I forget anyone?).

II+ UnShrinkIT has problems extracting records from archives which go
more than 1 level deep into existing subdirectories.  This will be fixed in
the next day or so.

andy

----