[net.music] Doug's stereo and Kate Bush and music theory

nessus@mit-eddie.UUCP (Doug Alan) (10/29/85)

> From: joel@decwrl.arpa

> Wow, poor guy.  Then he'll be able to tell she shrieks her way through
> ALL of _Kick Inside_, not just Wuthering Heights.  Might change his
> opinion completely. :-)

Ah, no.  Two of the songs "Saxophone Song" and "The Man With The Child
In His Eyes" were recorded when she was 16, several years before she
learned to shriek so wonderfully.

> (I do own the CD, Doug.  Bought it after listening to it even.  It's
> good, but like I've said before, I think you should take some very
> basic music classes before declaiming so authoritatively on the topic
> of creativity in music.)

I don't ever remember declaring that "The Kick Inside", KB's first
album, was any radical break-through in the field of music.  Just
excellent and imaginative music.  Such claims of musical landmarks were
about "The Dreaming".  And her most important contribution to the field
of music is the use of the studio as a creative tool (which is also the
focal point of many of the criticisms against her).  In this aspect, no
one else comes close.  And no class in "basic music" is going to deal
with such issues.

I refuse to accept the argument that you have to understand any music
theory to perceive creativity in music, since the purpose of music is
communication and the apsect of the originality that is important is
ultimately what is communicated -- not what some music theoretical
analysis might say.  That's just a tool that might help you understand
things better, or might just obfuscate.

			-Doug Alan
			  nessus@mit-eddie.UUCP (or ARPA)