[comp.sys.apple] GS/OS and disk switching

>Date: 15 Mar 89 14:16:22 CST (Wed)
>From: scott%geowhiz.UUCP@cs.wisc.edu
>
>If you ask for the status of a smartport device one of the bits
>returned tells you if the disk has been ejected since that last read
>or write.  I tested it on my //gs and it works.  I heard that this
>will not work with the "smart" Unidisk.  I always assumed this was
>used by GS/OS to see if it needed to through out the cashe, but it
>sound like GS/OS just looks at the volume name every time. A was of
>time and a danger for volumes with the same name.

Device drivers under GS/OS are responsible for noticing when the
media has been switched.  The Apple 3.5 drive has a disk-switched
bit--a bit that gets set when the media is ejected, which will stay
set until the system software clears it even if another disk is
inserted.

The Unidisk 3.5 does _not_ have that (it only knows whether a disk is
_currently_ in the drive; no way for it to know whether it was
ejected in the meantime) so the UNIDISK3.5 driver has to go to much
more trouble to determine when a new disk has been inserted--it
installs a special program inside the Unidisk's internal RAM to
presumably provide something a lot like the Apple 3.5's
disk-switched bit.

I don't know how volume names relate to noticing disk switches.  If
the device drivers are doing their jobs, it shouldn't be necessary to
check volume names.  File System Translators are the only things that
know how to determine the volume name of a disk; it's conceivable [to
me] that an FST would notice a new volume in a device and ask the
cache manager to flush the cache of all blocks from that device.

>Scott Kempf                           Like a bug in a rug.
>MAIL: 1302 Rutledge St., Madison, WI  53703    PHONE:  (608) 255-6205  (home)
>UUCP: {seismo, topaz, harvard}!uwvax!geowhiz!scott
>ARPA: scott%geowhiz.UUCP@spool.cs.wisc.edu     PHONE:  (608) 262-6154  (work)

 --David A. Lyons              bitnet: awcttypa@uiamvs
   DAL Systems                 CompuServe:  72177,3233
   P.O. Box 287                GEnie mail:    D.LYONS2
   North Liberty, IA 52317     AppleLinkPE: Dave Lyons