[comp.sys.apple] Possibility for a virus in AppleSoft program

blochowi@cat28.CS.WISC.EDU (Jason Blochowiak) (03/17/89)

In article <8903121224.aa03512@SMOKE.BRL.MIL> ALBRO@NIEHS.BITNET writes:
>art100@psuvm.bitnet / alt@ecl.psu.edu wrote about the possibility of putting
>a virus in machine language attached at the end of a BASIC program and
>therefore invisible to the LIST command.  Quite possible, but somewhere in
>the program there will have to be a CALL to somewhere you didn't load any
>code, which would be a dead give-away.

	Not really... First of all, there are plenty of legit programs that
CALL ML code to do certain things for them - including CALLs to imbedded ML.
Secondly, an explicit CALL statement isn't necessary - the program could POKE
certain parts of itself (self-modifying code) so that the CALL statement would
be created. This would all be possible without one bit of ML (but I won't
mention how, for what I consider obvious reasons - if you disagree, flame me
in email, not here).

	Jason
		Jason Blochowiak (blochowi@garfield.cs.wisc.edu)
			"Not your average iconoclast..."