[comp.sys.apple] IIgs and flakey-ware

asd@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (Kareth) (03/16/89)

I think I'll dump core about my opinions on this GS/OS, slow AWGS, etc. thread
of information.

1) Any of you AWGS owners aught to have received a Claris newsletter for the
Apple-only.  In it they said they'd be shipping an update that would fix a
bunch of bugs and increase the printing speed.  Imagine that!  Real support!
Sure, the bugs shouldn't have been in there, but they are doing something
about em.

2) Why in the world did you guys at Apple dump the Desktop (found on the
earlier system.disks)?  I still have this in a ROMdrive that I use when
I want semi-ProSel speed with a Desktop interface.  Windows fly open at
least 10 times faster than the finder can manage.  Everything is smaller yet
still very readable and can present a lot more information than the Finder
can in one screen.  Except for some Finder commands (just a few) and the
ability to work in color, the Desktop version seems to have a lot better
speed and therefore useability compared to incredibly slow Finder.  Maybe
if there was a GS+ but even then the Desktop would be incredibly fast compared
to the Finder.  When I got the first version of the Finder, I though, "You've
got to be kidding!  This is slower than molasses (or something to that
effect)"

3) To Keith or any Apple-dude or dudette:  If or rather When, Apple comes out
with a true GS/OS, will the current Apple SCSI card handle it?
For example, I am currently on my way to purchasing a VERY large 200-300+Meg
drive and in addition a removable 20Megger.  A very nice way to back up
files no?  Just ShrinkIT or Zoo (if the guy gets it ported over) archive
the things to removable 20's or use the 20's as data disk (like all one
disk Graphics or Docs or etc....)  Anyways, I'll be over the 7-32Meg partitions
for one SCSI card, and would like to know, if a real GS/OS fst will work
correctly with Apple's SCSI card.  I would presume so, but ya never know.

just some mindless chatter from
kareth.

shawn@pnet51.cts.com (Shawn Stanley) (03/17/89)

asd@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (Kareth) writes:
>2) Why in the world did you guys at Apple dump the Desktop (found on the
>earlier system.disks)?  I still have this in a ROMdrive that I use when
>I want semi-ProSel speed with a Desktop interface.  Windows fly open at
>least 10 times faster than the finder can manage.  Everything is smaller yet
>still very readable and can present a lot more information than the Finder
>can in one screen.  Except for some Finder commands (just a few) and the
>ability to work in color, the Desktop version seems to have a lot better
>speed and therefore useability compared to incredibly slow Finder.  Maybe
>if there was a GS+ but even then the Desktop would be incredibly fast compared
>to the Finder.  When I got the first version of the Finder, I though, "You've
>got to be kidding!  This is slower than molasses (or something to that
>effect)"

Mind if I try and answer this one?  As I understand it, the Desktop was
basically the ProDOS 8 version of the Finder.

I like the Finder better, myself.  I don't think it's that much slower, but
then I use a hard drive.  Also, the Finder interfaces directly with the
toolbox functions, and the NDA's are readily available.  I guess what I'm
trying to say is that while you think of them as two different products, it
does seem that Apple thinks of the Finder as the latest version of the Desktop
program.

UUCP: {uunet!rosevax, amdahl!bungia, chinet, killer}!orbit!pnet51!shawn
INET: shawn@pnet51.cts.com

RXBROWN@UALR.BITNET ("MR.FANTASTIC") (03/17/89)

To Kareth...

>For example, I am currently on my way to purchasing a VERY larrge 200-300+meg
>drive.....

Where are you going to get a 200-300+Meg hard drive???

Robert Brown
BITNET:RXBROWN@UALR
APPLELINK: ROBPHD