[comp.sys.apple] BinSCII 1.0.2 problem

SASQUATCH@ALBION.BITNET ("Kevin O. Lepard 629-5511 x6668", 517) (03/15/89)

I am having a problem getting binscii 1.0.2 to work.  I just received it
from apple2-l, downloaded and execed it.   When, at the basic prompt,
I type

]-binscii1.0.2

the program repeatedly types the basic prompt and finally crashes into
the monitor at 77FE (bank 00)

I repeated the download procedure several times just to make sure it wasn't
some download problem.

When I execed the file I got a 9 block file named binscii1.0.2

I am running an Apple //GS w/ 1.25 meg RAM (128K used as a rom disk
with a RamKeeper, and the rest available for /RAM5)

Can someone explain what is going wrong here?  (I'd really like to get
Shrink It 1.1 running, but since I can't get it out of binscii format....)

Oh yes, I used Kermit 3.85 for the download.

Any help will be _very_ much appreciated.

On a totally different topic, can someone tell me what the substansive
differences are between ProSEL 8 and ProSEL 16?  The only specific question
I have at this time is whether or not the incremental backup/restore is
something I can legally get and use as a registered ProSEL 8 user or
if I need to upgrade to ProSEL 16.

Thanks in advance.

Kevin Lepard
Bitnet:  Sasquatch@albion.bitnet

>I am having a problem getting binscii 1.0.2 to work.  I just received it
>from apple2-l, downloaded and execed it.   When, at the basic prompt,
>I type
>
>]-binscii1.0.2
>
>the program repeatedly types the basic prompt and finally crashes into
>the monitor at 77FE (bank 00)
>
>I repeated the download procedure several times just to make sure it wasn't
>some download problem.
>
>When I execed the file I got a 9 block file named binscii1.0.2

That size is correct.  The EXEC procedure seems to have been okay.

>I am running an Apple //GS w/ 1.25 meg RAM (128K used as a rom disk
>with a RamKeeper, and the rest available for /RAM5)
>
>Can someone explain what is going wrong here?  (I'd really like to get
>Shrink It 1.1 running, but since I can't get it out of binscii format....)
>
>Oh yes, I used Kermit 3.85 for the download.

Funny, I downloaded with Kermit 3.85 on my decripit (unenhanced) //e,
quit to the BASIC prompt (had to BYE and reload BASIC.SYSTEM -- a
Kermit bug?) and -BINSCII1.0.2 worked fine.

Did you have PREFIX set to the same volume BINSCII was in (I don't
think that should make a difference, but I believe I saw another report
similar to yours <also IIgs>, so something peculiar seems to be going
on)?

DO report questions/problems/curiosities to the author (you're more likely
to get a quick fix that way)  David Whitney <dcw@sun-bear.lcs.mit.edu>

Murph Sewall                       Vaporware? ---> [Gary Larson returns 1/1/90]
Prof. of Marketing     Sewall@UConnVM.BITNET
Business School        sewall%uconnvm.bitnet@mitvma.mit.edu          [INTERNET]
U of Connecticut       {psuvax1 or mcvax }!UCONNVM.BITNET!SEWALL     [UUCP]

-+- I don't speak for my employer, though I frequently wish that I could

According to the American Facsimile Association, more than half the calls
from Japan to the U.S. are fax calls.  FAX it to me at: 1-203-486-5246

hentosh@amethyst.bucknell.EDU (03/16/89)

>I am having a problem getting binscii 1.0.2 to work.  I just received it
>from apple2-l, downloaded and execed it.   When, at the basic prompt,
>I type
>
>]-binscii1.0.2
>
>the program repeatedly types the basic prompt and finally crashes into
>the monitor at 77FE (bank 00)
>
>I repeated the download procedure several times just to make sure it wasn't
>some download problem.
>
>When I execed the file I got a 9 block file named binscii1.0.2

I have downloaded binscii several times from apples-l, and have come across
the same problem, but usually the program didn't crash, but just ended
after sending a number of returns to the screen.  One copy did, however,
download successfully.  It made a file called Binscii that was of type
SYS not BIN as the other ones that crashed were.  I suggest changing
the filetype (I thinks there is a filetype changer on apple2-l still) and
try running it then.

I noticed at the end of the exec files the same bsave commands.
Question: Why does one bsave save the file as a BIN and the other as a SYS?

 BITNET: hentosh@amethyst.bucknell.edu ! Disclaimer : "I don't know why I
 ALPE  : RobertH128                    !   said that... I think it came from
                                       !   the fillings in my rear molars."

lwv@n8emr.UUCP (Larry W. Virden) (03/16/89)

When I downloaded BINSCII 1.0.1 the first time, I too had the same problems.
I downloaded it a second time and the problem went away.  Last nite I
downloaded BINSCII 1.0.2 and Kermit 3.85 (thanks Murphy and Dave!!!) and
got both working - since my copy of kermit 3.85 was blu/binscii format, and
I used BINSCII 1.0.2 on my IIgs I can assure folks that at least some
configurations do work.

--
Larry W. Virden	 674 Falls Place, Reynoldsburg, OH 43068 (614) 864-8817
75046,606 (CIS) ; LVirden (ALPE) ; osu-cis!n8emr!lwv (UUCP)

>after sending a number of returns to the screen.  One copy did, however,
>download successfully.  It made a file called Binscii that was of type
>SYS not BIN as the other ones that crashed were.  I suggest changing
>the filetype (I thinks there is a filetype changer on apple2-l still) and
>try running it then.
>
>I noticed at the end of the exec files the same bsave commands.
>Question: Why does one bsave save the file as a BIN and the other as a SYS?

That's odd.  The BINSCII1.0.2 which I received from APPLE2-L DOES make
a SYS file.  Are you missing the E00G (the last line of any Executioner
file which invokes the code that writes the directory entry)?  I wonder
how you lost that?

ALBRO@NIEHS.BITNET (03/17/89)

Murph Sewall writes:
>(had to BYE and reload BASIC.SYSTEM -- a Kermit bug?)

.
No, that didn't really mean Kermit walked over BASIC.SYSTEM.  It just left
a number other than zero in mem loc $800.  Poke a zero in there and everything
is fine.  I would hope that someday Kermit pokes that zero itself when you
say EXIT.  The NEW command , not to mention LOAD or RUN, needs the zero.

SASQUATCH@ALBION.BITNET ("Kevin O. Lepard 629-5511 x6668", 517) (03/17/89)

Thanks for all the help folks.  The problem turned out to be that the
file from the Executioner was created as a BIN file at A$1000 rather than
a SYS file at A$2000.  I checked the text file I downloaded, and the
text file specifies a save at A$1000 and then the E00G.

Why's it say this?

Anyway, I got the file working by doing the following.

1) Download and exec the file.
   a) if it creates a SYS file you're probably ok
   b) if it creates a BIN file continue

2) at the basic prompt type

]create binscii,tsys

]bload binscii1.0.2,a$2000
]bsave binscii,tsys,a$2000,l3640

That will change it to a SYS file that should work, at least it worked
for me.  BinSCII seems to be working fine, now.  Check the length in the
bsave statement with a catalog first, because 3640 is from memory (I'm
pretty sure it's right, but no point in not being safe, right?)

Thanks again.

Kevin Lepard
Bitnet:  Sasquatch@albion.bitnet

>Thanks for all the help folks.  The problem turned out to be that the
>file from the Executioner was created as a BIN file at A$1000 rather than
>a SYS file at A$2000.  I checked the text file I downloaded, and the
>text file specifies a save at A$1000 and then the E00G.
>
>Why's it say this?

Whatever works.  I got a -SYS file that works even though the BSAVE is
at $1000.  I gather the little program invoked by E00G (when it works)
alters the start address along with the rest of the directory entry.

I've NEVER had a whit of trouble with an Executioner file so I've never
bothered to look at it much (My original Executioner program also
BSAVE's at $1000 and then E00G makes a SYS file).

Then my system downloads blank lines without LF's or pad characters.