[comp.sys.apple] Appleserve, Choose Printer, etc.

>Date: Thu, 16 Mar 89 22:04:55 -0500 (EST)
>From: "Jeremy G. Mereness" <jm7e+@andrew.cmu.edu>

>Appleserve, also known as Lasershare, is a print server running off
>of a dedicated Mac. A Mac "captures" a Laserwriter on the Appletalk
>network and proceeds to spool a queue to the device. I have tried to
>use the //GS's Imagewriter Emulator on it, but it won't work. [...]

Oh, _that_.  I didn't recognize the name, but I've used it.  I guess
I never tried printing to the LaserWriter as an emulated ImageWriter
through Appleserve.  In what way did it fail to work for you?

>I kind of wish the Chooser on the GS was a CDA, as the Mac's Chooser
>is a DA that comes standard on systems. This allows one to set the
>printer to be used once for an entire session and does not require
>one to quit an application and run a routine independently as the
>GS's Chooser requires. Further, these settings stay in place if you
>change applications. I do not know if this is true in 16-bit
>applications on the GS. One may need to reChoose the printer each
>time. The Mac's chooser is "Global," not program specific.

You do not need to re-choose the printer in applications that use the
Print Manager.  The Print Manager records your choice in a file in
the *:system:drivers folder.  A CDA version of a Chooser would be
useful, but in a limited way--only for choosing network printers, I
think.  You would still have to tell your 8-bit application what
_slot_ to print to.

Again, "Choose Printer" is available in desktop-based applications,
without having to quit the application.  It's only the text-based
ProDOS 8 chooser that works on the IIe (with a workstation card) as
well as the IIgs that requires you to run it separately.

>jeremy mereness
>jm7e+@andrew.cmu.edu (arpa)
>r746jm7e@cmccvb      (bitnet)

 --David A. Lyons              bitnet: awcttypa@uiamvs
   DAL Systems                 CompuServe:  72177,3233
   P.O. Box 287                GEnie mail:    D.LYONS2
   North Liberty, IA 52317     AppleLinkPE: Dave Lyons

wombat@claris.com (Scott Lindsey) (03/18/89)

From article <8903171133.aa08047@SMOKE.BRL.MIL>, by AWCTTYPA@UIAMVS.BITNET ("David A. Lyons"):
>>Date: Thu, 16 Mar 89 22:04:55 -0500 (EST)
>>From: "Jeremy G. Mereness" <jm7e+@andrew.cmu.edu>
>
>>Appleserve, also known as Lasershare, is a print server running off
>>of a dedicated Mac. A Mac "captures" a Laserwriter on the Appletalk
>>network and proceeds to spool a queue to the device. I have tried to
>>use the //GS's Imagewriter Emulator on it, but it won't work. [...]
>
> Oh, _that_.  I didn't recognize the name, but I've used it.  I guess
> I never tried printing to the LaserWriter as an emulated ImageWriter
> through Appleserve.  In what way did it fail to work for you?

I've only heard it called LaserShare.  Running Lasershare 1.0 I just
successfully printed to a Macintosh spooler.  There was no problem uploading
the emulator (with chooserII), however, you might have to tell your text
application (APW, etc) that you need linefeeds after carriage returns.

--
Scott Lindsey     |"Cold and misty morning. I heard a warning borne in the air
Claris Corp.      |    About an age of power when no one had an hour to spare"