[comp.sys.apple] Death of the Apple // rumors

LWELCH@COLGATEU.BITNET (03/19/89)

From:   COM%"claris!krazy@APPLE.COM"      "Jeff Erickson" 18-MAR-1989 09:11:04.7
3
Subj:   Why, why, why?

From jm7e+@ANDREW.CMU.EDU ("Jeremy G. Mereness"):

> I would hate to go to all that work and read something in MacWeek that
> Apple has canned the Apple //. I think that such a concern is reasonable,
> and I have seen such articles; luckily, they have been denied.

When next week's MacWeek comes out, read it.  If the rumors I've heard
recently around here are correct, it's going to generate a lot of heat
on comp.sys.apple.

I hate to say this, Jeremy, but I think your nightmare may be coming true.

> I was very worried when someone wrote that many software companies like
> Electronic Arts were abondoning the GS.
>
> Why would they consider this?

Here's some more rain for your parade.  Not only have I heard (RUMORS, READ
"UNCONFIRMED") that Activision, Epyx, Electronic Arts, and a few other
Apple II developers are not going to be at AppleFest this spring; but I
have also heard that AppleFest isn't even going to HAPPEN next fall.

Like I said, this is just a rumor.  I have no confirmation, and I have no
idea how to look for it.  But it's still rather scary.

-------------
I don't know what's going to appear in next week's MacWeek, but I doubt that
Apple is going to kill the Apple // any time in the near future.  Apple has
been advertising for Apple // developers, they've been putting a lot of effort
into the AIIDTS group and Technotes, and they've sunk a lot of effort into the
System Software and Tools.  Most of all, the Apple // is a huge profit maker
for Apple.  Even though Mac sales are starting to support the Mac line, Apple
// profits are still as strong as ever.

People have been saying that the Apple // was going to die since the Apple //
days.  Even a few years ago before the //gs came out, it looked like Apple was
ignoring the Appke // line.  Now Apple's support of the // is much stronger
than it was then.  The Apple // is a great machine and will become even better
in the future.

Applefest attendance has been growing in the last few years.  I haven't heard
anything about this fall's Applefest, but I expect that it will be a great
event.  I hope that your rumors will prove to be unfounded.

|  Chip Welch                                "Apple ][ Forever!"             |
|  Chipmunk Computer Systems                                                 |
|  CU Box L3058                         BITNET:  LWELCH@COLGATEU.BITNET      |
|  Hamilton, NY 13346                   GEnie:   CWELCH3                     |