[comp.sys.apple] Big Prodos FST..

dougm@pnet51.cts.com (Doug Mcintyre) (03/18/89)

Well while kareth was asking for a gsos.fst. A while ago I asked for a big
prodos FST if you'll remember. The main advantage to this, is that you only
(Apple only) has to change around some code in the prodos.fst to make the
size limits, the size GSOS allows. Since you probably only have to change 5%
of the prodos.fst, it probably could be done farily quickly and easily.
Advantages would be robust file names (ie. all the ascii character set, and
hopefully all the upper 128 byte as well, long file names, (longer than the 15
characters now) and no need for partition for big hard drives, as the max size
of a hard drive under gsos is 4GB or so..  Etc. etc..

Some of the discusion of this, resulted in some saying that then, some
applications wouldn't work with this 'prodos' since they aren't GS/OS aware,
then call it a new name, I just choose the name big.prodos. If there is ever a
HFS.fst for gs/os, these same applications won't work with that either, or any
other new FST written for gs/os won't. They will be stuck in the old prodos 8
ages practically.. That is why GS/OS supports such an abstract file system to
you. You use that file system, and then you are able to any* time in the
future to use any different physical file system that you may be using on your
hardware, but to the program it is exactly the same..

UUCP: {rosevax, crash}!orbit!pnet51!dougm                Compuserve: 70611,2215
ARPA: crash!orbit!pnet51!dougm@nosc.mil                        ALPE: DougMac
INET: dougm@pnet51.cts.com

gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn ) (03/19/89)

In article <772@orbit.UUCP> dougm@pnet51.cts.com (Doug Mcintyre) writes:
>(Apple only) has to change around some code in the prodos.fst to make the
>size limits, the size GSOS allows. Since you probably only have to change 5%
>of the prodos.fst, it probably could be done farily quickly and easily.

What are you talking about?  Most of the restrictions are imposed by
the ProDOS file format itself, not by arbitrary limits in the FST code.