[comp.sys.apple] HyperC posting

blackman@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Scott Michael Blackman) (02/22/89)

Has anyone gotten the comp.binaries posting of Hyper C to work?

I downloaded it and unpacked it with my new BinSCII 1.01, then unpacked
it with Shrinkit .95 -- no errors reported by either program.  But when
I tried to boot the disk it read only about three tracks, then disk
access stopped and the computer froze.

Is this a problem with my downloading/unpacking or is it Hyper C?  I'm
on a IIgs, and this could conceivably be a problem if the compiler is old,
(**REALLY** old??), but I just don't know.  Can somebody help?

Thanks.

-- Scott "WhiteWoman" Blackman --------------------------------------------
   __   ARPA: blackman@phoenix.princeton.edu, blackman@pucc.princeton.edu
  [__]  UUCP: ...allegra!princeton!{phoenix|pucc}!blackman
        BITNET: blackman@phoenix.UUCP, blackman@pucc

erast1@cisunx.UUCP (Evan Ron Aussenberg) (02/24/89)

In article <6570@phoenix.Princeton.EDU> blackman@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Scott M. Blackman) writes:
>Has anyone gotten the comp.binaries posting of Hyper C to work?

> [..'downloaded/processed with BinSCII 1.01 and ShrinkIT .95 ...]
>But when I tried to boot the disk it read only about three tracks, then disk
>access stopped and the computer froze.

>I'm on a IIgs...

>-- Scott "WhiteWoman" Blackman --------------------------------------------
>   __   ARPA: blackman@phoenix.princeton.edu, blackman@pucc.princeton.edu

I have/had exactly the same problem after I downloaded to my GS.

	Evan Ron Aussenberg
		erast1@unix.cis.pittsburgh.edu

jb10320@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (02/24/89)

	I had the same problem.  What gives?  (I hope it's not a problem with
BINSCII splitting cause I just sent GScheme to APPLE2-L split by BINSCII)

Jawaid Bazyar
jb10320@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu

jmb@cbnews.ATT.COM (James M. Brohard) (02/24/89)

In article <6570@phoenix.Princeton.EDU> blackman@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Scott M. Blackman) writes:
>Has anyone gotten the comp.binaries posting of Hyper C to work?
>
>I downloaded it and unpacked it with my new BinSCII 1.01, then unpacked
>it with Shrinkit .95 -- no errors reported by either program.  But when
>I tried to boot the disk it read only about three tracks, then disk
>access stopped and the computer froze.
>
>-- Scott "WhiteWoman" Blackman --------------------------------------------

I am getting exactly the same results.
I hope someone can diagnose this for us.  I really want to look at this
compiler!

jim brohard
cblph!jmb
or
cbnews!jmb
or cbsds!jmb

cbdougla@uokmax.UUCP (Collin Broadrick Douglas) (02/25/89)

    I'd love to look at it also, unfortunately, I don't even have
    binscii or shrinkit.  If someone could, would you send me
    them in mail?  PLEASE?   Thanks is advance.

					Collin Douglas

demarco@cpsc.ucalgary.ca (Vince Demarco) (02/25/89)

In article <4321@cbnews.ATT.COM>, jmb@cbnews.ATT.COM (James M. Brohard) writes:
> In article <6570@phoenix.Princeton.EDU> blackman@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Scott M. Blackman) writes:
> >Has anyone gotten the comp.binaries posting of Hyper C to work?
> >

> I am getting exactly the same results.
> I hope someone can diagnose this for us.  I really want to look at this
> compiler!

It worked great for me, don't expect too much from hyperc it uses it's own os
and isn't compatible with anyother os.

Vince

Reply to
demarco@CPSC.UCalgary.CA

ugfelong@cs.Buffalo.EDU (Edward Felong) (02/25/89)

In article <6570@phoenix.Princeton.EDU> blackman@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Scott M. Blackman) writes:
>Has anyone gotten the comp.binaries posting of Hyper C to work?

I downloaded all 8 parts, combined with Binscii and unpacked with ShrinkIt 0.95
on an Apple IIc Plus with an external 3.5" and external 5.25" drive.  The disk
in the 5.25 booted fine.  The program has it's own shell that prints a
shareware message and executes the file 'autoexec' which initially just prints
comments.  The disk operates on what is called CDOS.  My guess is it's some
kind of modified DOS3.3 because I could read some of the sectors with a sector
editor.  I had to look at the sectors to figure out some of the rudimentary
shell commands like 'ls' and 'list'.   I don't have a second 5.25" drive and
can't get the shell to format  s6,d1 or any other slot.  There are no free
blocks on the unpacked disk, but some features like the editor seem to work.
The source code for dump.c seems to compile, but can't actually save to a full
disk.

I'd like to know if anybody else got Hyper C to work, and if the address
in the shareware title screen is still current.  Does anybody have the manual ?

---
	Phred,
	efelong @ pro-starbase
	flatop @ ApplelinkPE
	ugfelong @ sunybcs.BITNET

demarco@cpsc.ucalgary.ca (Vince Demarco) (02/26/89)

Oops... sorry I should have left a file describing the commands...
for those of you using UN*X the commands are the same with the following
exceptions:
ren to rename files rather than using mv
a:,b: to switch between drives (only 1 needed BTW)

CDOS is not a modified DOS3.3.. it is a completely different OS than DOS3.3
or ProDOS-> it uses 1K blocks, and stores its directory on track 0 like ProDOS
I'll be sending the OS source for posting next week so all you hackers can
get to work modifying it for ProDOS  compatibility...

Chris- using the account of a friend cuz I'm too lazy to go up to the
mainframe and post from my own acct... :-)

Disclaimer->  the standard stuff...
Replies-> CYLau@UNCAMULT.BITNET

tomg@deceds.dec.com (Tom Gallo) (02/26/89)

 I just got done downloading it and it works fine on my laser128,
 It freezes up when booting on my bare bones (no 80col) franklin
 ace 1200.

Tom Gallo

--
| (UUCP)       {decvax, ucbvax, allegra}!decwrl!fstvax.dec.com!gallo |
| (ARPA)       gallo%fstvax.DEC@decwrl.ARPA                          |

toth@tellab5.tellabs.CHI.IL.US (Joseph G. Toth Jr.) (02/26/89)

In my previous post regarding Hyper C, I stated that the only command
availabble directly from the system was 'ls' to catalog a disk.  Then I
mentioned that people shoule 'ed' the 'cc' file to view a script that
operates in a standard C-shell format.

Boy, was it obvious after I looked at it again that 'rm' (remove, delete etc.)
was also available.

Also usable is a 'cp <fromfile> <tofile>' command.

One major problem seems to arise in that there must be free space on drive 'a:'
to allow "hyperc" to compile the programs (or am I mistaken).  Any help to get
the compiles to work as is would be appreciated.

I read in a previous message that the company is defunct, so maybe as people
post information on usage, someone could gather and coordinate a compiling of
a single users guide.  I'm sure now that there have to be other commands
available from the system (like a simple help to list the system commands).

--
------------------------------------------------+---------------------
Maybe I shouldn't have done it, sarcasm is so   | Joseph G. Toth Jr.

rmk@frog.UUCP (Rick Kelly) (02/26/89)

In article <795@cs-spool.calgary.UUCP> demarco@cpsc.ucalgary.ca (Vince Demarco) writes:
>In article <4321@cbnews.ATT.COM>, jmb@cbnews.ATT.COM (James M. Brohard) writes:
>> In article <6570@phoenix.Princeton.EDU> blackman@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Scott M. Blackman) writes:
>> >Has anyone gotten the comp.binaries posting of Hyper C to work?
>> >

>> I am getting exactly the same results.
>> I hope someone can diagnose this for us.  I really want to look at this
>> compiler!
>>

>It worked great for me, don't expect too much from hyperc it uses it's own os
>and isn't compatible with anyother os.
>

>Vince
>
>Reply to
>demarco@CPSC.UCalgary.CA

	There are actually two versions of Hyper C.  One runs under CDOS and
the other runs under any version of PRODOS 8. The CDOS version has its own
bastardized version of DOS 3.3, and compiles to P code, which is executed
by an interpreter that appears to be licensed from Apple.  The Prodos
version, which I am most familiar with, compiles to P code or machine code,
and includes a P code assembler and a 65C02 native code assembler.  All of
these products are useless without the manuals.

	I originally bought the Professionl package, which included source,
from WSM Group, Inc.  This company appears to be defunct, and their address
in Tucson, Arizona is no longer valid.  Unless the original principals of
WSM have released this product as Shareware,  it is legally a copyrighted
work belonging to the original authors/WSM Group etal.  Also, there is no
source for manuals except for those of us who originally bought the package.

	From looking at the fine print in the Technical Reference Manual it
would seem that there is nothing that prohibits me from copying the text as
long as I do it for free.  But there are quite a few pages.

Rick Kelly
Test Engineering
Charles River Data Systems
983 Concord Street
Framingham, Massachusetts
01701

Voice: 508-626-1011
       508-626-1000

No matter where you go, there you are.

demarco@cpsc.ucalgary.ca (Vince Demarco) (02/26/89)

Isn't there a script that you can execute on the disk to create a copy of the
system disk???  I seem to remember such a beast...
At any rate, you don't need ALL the files on one disk to operate the system,
use the format program provided to format yourself a few blank disks, and then
use the cp command to copy over the files-> the boot disk should have the
'system' file and the autoexec on it, the edit disk can have the editor, and
file viewing commands (list and more I believe, if you don't have more I can
send you the source and you can type it in.. very short program) and the
compiler disk should have all the other files ->ccn,cc hyperc,lib,etc..
create your source with the editor, save on the editor disk or on yet another
disk (workdisk), stick the compiler disk in the other drive and compile it
thus (workdisk in drive1 compiler in drive2)

b:cc a:testprogram<cr>

The cc script will run, first through the preprocessor to get all the #includes
then the compiler itself, and then the assember and linker...  (this generates
pcode)  If you substitute ccn for cc then the compiler uses a macro processor
and a 65**C**02 assembler to assemble the code and you end up with 100%
assembly code...

Who here would like to try to hack at the OS to make it more or less ProDOS
compatible??  If you would like to try, I'll email you a copy of the source
directly in almost any format you like before I send it off to Paul Nakada for
posting on binaries.apple2-> send email to the address below!! DO NOT reply
to the address above!!

Chris (posting from a friend's acct cuz I'm too lazy to go up to the mainframe
and post from my own... :-) )

Disclaimer-> I claim this all for myself, and you can't have any!!
Replies-> CYLau@UNCAMULT.BITNET or CYLau%UNCAMULT@UNCACDC.BITNET

demarco@cpsc.ucalgary.ca (Vince Demarco) (02/26/89)

No 80 col card-> that could be your problem on the Franklin, HyperC requires
80 Columns.... so much for that..
I also mentioned in my prev. message that I could send out the sources to the
OS-> if anyone out there has access to both a //e and a //gs and would like to
volunteer to get the thing to boot on a gs, send me email at the address BELOW

Chris

Disclaimer-> You can have this one, I don't want it...
Replies-> CYLau@UNCAMULT.BITNET or CYLau%UNCAMULT@UNCACDC.BITNET

delaneyg@wnre.aecl.CDN (02/28/89)

Sorry all you out their with GSs it won't work either the program of SHRINKIT
on the unpack a disk.  I've reported the Shrinkit problem and beleive it has
been fixed in Version 1.0 when that reaches us.  The GS problem is unsolvable.
BINSCII works fine so as long as Jawaid did not pack a disk it should work
fine other wise find a friend with 2 - 5.25s on a //e and it will unpack with
no problems.

Grant

nubartho@ndsuvax.UUCP (Bruce Bartholomew) (03/01/89)

I unpacked the 8 pieces (including the repost of 7) using binscii then
unpacked the disk using shrinkit onto my Laser 128 with two drives.
The only problem during this was at the very end of the unpacking of
the disk, Shrinkit gave me an error about the block (i can duplicate it),
and the drive to where I was unpacking continued to spin.  Iwarm started
and the disk booted just fine, but I could not get any command to work.  It did
search through its existing files so the OS was working.

All I need now is a list of valid commands.......

Bruce Bartholomew
nubartho@ndsuvax
nu034421@ndsuvm1

CYLau@UNCAMULT.BITNET (The Ultron) (03/02/89)

I finally found that article on copyrights after bankruptcy..  it seems
that unless the copyright was purchase by another party or was turned
back over to the author, the product covered under that copyright is
essentially public domain (because there is no "owner" to initiate
action for copyright infringement)...  We may assume that the copyright
was not sold to another party when The WSM Group went under as the said
package is not available elsewhere...  however, it may have been turned
back over to the author(s), so if we can get in contact with them to
release the software to the public.  If the copyright has NOT been
turned over to the author or sold to a third party, then it may be
assumed that it is now in the public domain and may be distributed
freely...  I also believe that if sufficient effort is used to determine
the status of the copyright, we may assume without penalty that the work
has entered the public domain...

So, does anyone know the names/addresses/etc of the authors of Hyper C,
any version??  or has the ability to check the legal status of the
copyrights??  The said corporation has been defunct for at least 2-3
years now, so this may be difficult to do, but if we can find out, we
may have a good excuse to have the ProDOS version of HyperC uploaded...

Chris

 The opinions expressed herein are    Replies to:
 entirely my  own, but they can be      CYLau@UNCAMULT.BITNET
 yours for only  $29.95 plus tax.*      CYLau@UNCAMULT%UNCACDC.BITNET
 (* where applicable)                   or whatever is on the header)

ggray@wpi.wpi.edu (Gary Gray) (03/05/89)

In article <890302050135.241114@UNCAMULT.BITNET> CYLau@UNCAMULT.BITNET (The Ultron) writes:
>I finally found that article on copyrights after bankruptcy..  it seems
>that unless the copyright was purchase by another party or was turned
>back over to the author, the product covered under that copyright is
>essentially public domain (because there is no "owner" to initiate
>action for copyright infringement)...  We may assume that the copyright

Also, if WSM went under chapter 11, and there were creditors, (i.e. they owed
others money) the copyright would have been turned over to the creditors.  In
this case, the creditors own the copyright and are thus the ones to talk to.
There is also the possibility that the creditors would "sit" on the rights to
the program, which means that they won't give it away for free, but then again
they don't want to go to the trouble of accounting for the sales....

Well, that's how I think it goes.... I'm no lawyer (thank god ;-) ) so I can't
swear on the above, but I am quite sure that's right.

demarco@cpsc.ucalgary.ca (Vince Demarco) (03/05/89)

In article <1194@wpi.wpi.edu>, ggray@wpi.wpi.edu (Gary Gray) writes:
> In article <890302050135.241114@UNCAMULT.BITNET> CYLau@UNCAMULT.BITNET (The Ultron) writes:
> >I finally found that article on copyrights after bankruptcy..  it seems
> >that unless the copyright was purchase by another party or was turned
> >back over to the author, the product covered under that copyright is
> >essentially public domain (because there is no "owner" to initiate
> >action for copyright infringement)...  We may assume that the copyright

> Also, if WSM went under chapter 11, and there were creditors, (i.e. they owed
> others money) the copyright would have been turned over to the creditors.  In
> this case, the creditors own the copyright and are thus the ones to talk to.
> There is also the possibility that the creditors would "sit" on the rights to
> the program, which means that they won't give it away for free, but then again
> they don't want to go to the trouble of accounting for the sales....
>
> Well, that's how I think it goes.... I'm no lawyer (thank god ;-) ) so I can't
> swear on the above, but I am quite sure that's right.

Right and Wrong- under chapter 11, the author of the program is usually
offered the option of buying back the copyright to his program before the
creditors have at it...  However, if the author decides he doesn't want the
copyright back, THEN and only then do the creditors get it...  I suppose one
could check the copyright registry to find out the status of the copyright
(Anyone care to do that for us?) and then contact the owner of it..

Chris (posting from a friend's account)

Disclaimer-> I'm a Canadian, if I got it right its because I know more about
your own country than you do, if I didn't, then it doesn't matter cuz I'm a
Canadian and I don't have to know your laws... :-)

Replies-> CYLau@UNCAMULT.BITNET

hentosh@amethyst.bucknell.EDU (03/20/89)

I unfortunately don't have ftp access at my site, so I can't get at HyperC.
Can someone who has it please post it on Apple2-l. I am sure that others
share the same problem...
                        Thanks,
                                Bob

 BITNET: hentosh@amethyst.bucknell.edu ! Disclaimer : "I don't know why I
 ALPE  : RobertH128                    !   said that... I think it came from
                                       !   the fillings in my rear molars."