[comp.sys.apple] GS/OS FSTs are not "vaporware"

>Date:     Sun, 19 Mar 89 04:03:18 CST
>From:     "Jeremy G. Mereness" <jm7e+@ANDREW.CMU.EDU>
>Subject:  FSTand GS/OS size
>
>I am already questioning why GS/OS is so huge, filling an entire 800K
>disk for what I had originally though was just a 16 bit version of
>good'ol prodos8 amounting to 32K or so.

Whoever led you to believe that GS/OS was "just a 16-bit version of
ProDOS 8" was extremely wrong.  You _have_ been reading about
GS/OS's capabilities lately on the net, right?  (What you
_originally_ thought GS/OS was going to be isn't particularly
relevant.)

>Whatever, there is 600+K of stuff on the system.disk. Would FST's
>only make this BIGGER? Requiring a hard drive to function or 1.2 meg
>floppies that don't exist yet for the Apple // anyway?

(1) There is a lot more than GS/OS on the System Disk.  (2) FSTs are
stored in the *:system:fsts directory, and you can keep exactly the
ones you want to use.  No need to waste space on your boot disk for
things you don't want.  This applies to DAs, fonts, drivers, and
tools, too.  (3) No, the wouldn't _only_ fill up your system
disk--they'd _also_ permit you to use file systems you can't
currently use from GS/OS.

>and where are these FST's anyway? Any realese date? or are they the
>great vaporware of the month?

Be fair!  Vaporware means products that have been announced but are
not yet shipping, right?  Apple has _not_ promised us any FSTs in
addition to the ones we already have on System Disk 4.0.

We have FSTs for ProDOS (PRO.FST), High Sierra/ISO 9660 (HS.FST), and
CHAR.FST (lets character devices be treated like files).  Several
people, including me, have _speculated_ that Apple will release
others, hopefully including an HFS FST.

>jeremy mereness
>jm7e+@andrew.cmu.edu (Arpanet)
>r746jm7e@CMCCVB (vax.... Bitnet)

 --David A. Lyons              bitnet: awcttypa@uiamvs
   DAL Systems                 CompuServe:  72177,3233
   P.O. Box 287                GEnie mail:    D.LYONS2
   North Liberty, IA 52317     AppleLinkPE: Dave Lyons