[comp.sys.apple] running Kermit from Davex

>Date:         Sun, 19 Mar 89 11:53:45 GMT
>From:         "Larry W. Virden" <osu-cis!n8emr!lwv@TUT.CIS.OHIO-STATE.EDU>
>Subject:      Re: SYS/BIN auxtypes (Binscii problem)
>
>David, or anyone else familar with Pro[DOS] - I find that some shells
>allow me to run Kermit from the shell and some complain.  Kermit is a
>bin type file.  Has anyone attempted to figure a way to make it a SYS
>so that it can be executed from within the shells?
>
>Larry W. Virden     674 Falls Place, Reynoldsburg, OH 43068 (614) 864-8817
>75046,606 (CIS) ; LVirden (ALPE) ; osu-cis!n8emr!lwv (UUCP)
>osu-cis!n8emr!lwv@TUT.CIS.OHIO-STATE.EDU (INTERNET)

Kermit needs to be run with BASIC.SYSTEM in memory, last I checked.
From Davex, you could type:

  BASIC.SYSTEM KERMIT

with your prefix set to the subdirectory containing KERMIT (or set to
any volume directory if KERMIT is in the volume directory of the
volume BASIC.SYSTEM is being launched from),  assuming that
BASIC.SYSTEM is in one of the directories in your 'scan' list.

Or, you could rename KERMIT to STARTUP and just type BASIC.SYSTEM
with the prefix set to the subdirectory containing it (or with the
prefix set to any volume directory, if STARTUP is in the volume
directory of the volume BASIC.SYSTEM is being launched from).

Of course, you can edit your %aliases file to contain something
like:

  k  /hard1/kermit; basic.system kermit

so you'd just need to type  k  to set the prefix and launch
basic.system.  (Typically you'd have /hard1/ in your scan list; you
would not need an extra copy of basic.ssytem in the kermit
directory.)

Note that Davex _does_ have a BRUN command, but this is used for
running BIN files that do _not_ require BASIC.SYSTEM, and the files
are _not_ executed under Davex's control.  Instead, BRUN is just a
SYS file that accepts a startup path telling it what BIN file to
load.  It loads the BIN file at the address contained in its
auxiliary type & executes it.

The BIN program is expected to do a ProDOS QUIT when it's done (_or_
it can do an RTS, if it managed not to tromp on the little piece of
BRUN that does a QUIT--I don't remember where that is offhand).  BRUN
sets up BRK instructions at addresses likely to be called if the BIN
program requires BASIC.SYSTEM.  If you break into the monitor near
$BE00 or $BE03, the program you're trying to run requires
BASIC.SYSTEM.

 --David A. Lyons              bitnet: awcttypa@uiamvs
   DAL Systems                 CompuServe:  72177,3233
   P.O. Box 287                GEnie mail:    D.LYONS2
   North Liberty, IA 52317     AppleLinkPE: Dave Lyons