[comp.sys.apple] GS software wish list

>Date:         Sun, 19 Mar 89 15:05:28 CST
>From:         "Jeremy G. Mereness" <jm7e+@ANDREW.CMU.EDU>
>Subject:      Re: Contructive discussions on Apple future (Was:Re: (none))

>Anyway, I would like to see...
>o  a fast, native code assembler in native code that works better than APW

Have you looked into Merlin 16+ from Roger Wagner Publishing?  Both
APW and Merlin 16 are very powerful environments.  If you are
writing in straight assembly (not linking to C or Pascal or
anything), Merlin 16+ will let you work a lot faster.

> [...]
>o  a fast, native code C compiler

ORCA/C is on the way; presumably it will be fast.  (APW C is a native
code C compiler.)

>o  a multi-tasking operating system or at least an approach that would allow
>   multiple applications to be open at once like SoftSwitch

This is much easier wished for than implemented, but I'd like it too.

>o  a better DOS, that did not use 10K of disk space where the Mac would use 3K

Excuse me?

>[...]
>o  Appleshare support

Appleshare was supported under System Disk 3.2, and I think it's
safe to assume the the lack of support under GS/OS is temporary.

>o  a widely distributed, improved Basic.System with more capable commands

Applesoft BASIC (which is in ROM) can't run under GS/OS.  I assume
you mean you want an interpreted BASIC combined with a command shell.
I want one too, but not nearly as much as I want other stuff.

>o  a CDA editor like MiniWriter

I haven't seen MiniWriter.  A CDA editor and file browser has been
on my to-do list for a long time, but I haven't do-ed it.  (What's
stopping you from writing one yourself?)

>o  GS version of ResEdit and use of resource forks.

Sounds reasonable.  I want it, too.  Apple has promised us a Resource
Manager, but I don't think they've _promised_ a resource editor.
There will be editors from third parties if Apple doesn't release one
(or most likely even if they do).

>jeremy mereness
>jm7e+@andrew.cmu.edu

 --David A. Lyons              bitnet: awcttypa@uiamvs
   DAL Systems                 CompuServe:  72177,3233
   P.O. Box 287                GEnie mail:    D.LYONS2
   North Liberty, IA 52317     AppleLinkPE: Dave Lyons