[comp.sys.apple] checksums

>Date:         Mon, 20 Mar 89 14:12:47 est
>From:         GREYELF%WPI.BITNET@MITVMA.MIT.EDU
>
>[...] Viruses.  Checksum methods are actually pretty useless.  I have
>two associates from high school (notice I did NOT say friends) who
>used to unprotect software for fun.  They'd just cover the object
>code for the entire checksum routine over with NOP instructions.
>
>Michael J Pender Jr  Box 1942 c/o W.P.I.
>greyelf@wpi.bitnet   100 Institute Rd.
>greyelf@wpi.wpi.edu  Worcester, Ma 01609

Eh?  Your paragraph starts out "Viruses," and then doesn't talk about
them.  Checksums _are_ useful for detecting that a file has been
tampered with by someone or something that does not know what
specific checksum method is being used.

Like I said a week or two ago, automatic analysis of programs by
other programs is, in general, impossible in theory (and therefore
impossible in practice, too).  While your associates can defeat
checksum routines, they cannot write a program that does it.

 --David A. Lyons              bitnet: awcttypa@uiamvs
   DAL Systems                 CompuServe:  72177,3233
   P.O. Box 287                GEnie mail:    D.LYONS2
   North Liberty, IA 52317     AppleLinkPE: Dave Lyons