[comp.sys.apple] Death of the Apple II: GREATLY EXAGGERATED

REWING@TRINCC.BITNET (03/21/89)

Look folks, I don't know where some of this BS is coming from regarding
the fictional death of the Apple II family, but its obvious to me that
many people in this industry, usually writing for trade rags just don't
know what the hell they are talking about.  Either that, or they would
like to see the Apple II killed for some other diabolical reason.
Regardless of where the media tripe comes from, DON'T BELIEVE IT FOR
AN INSTANT!!!!!  We aren't supposed to talk about future products,
but if you guys knew what was coming down the pike for the Apple II world,
all this conversation would quickly end.  I wish that it would end
and people would go back to talking about productive rather than destructive
things, bu, but it looks like this may not be the case.  *Sigh*.
The sad thing is that all this chatter about the death of the machine
is probably affecting many of those of you who read this bboard, but are
less vocal and are having questions about whether to stay with their Apple
IIs.  If the Apple II stops selling just because many people think that
its going bye bye on idle rumor, then that will be one of the biggest
disgraces in modern computer times.

--Rick Ewing
  Apple Atlanta tech Support
  ...and generally pissed off by all of this...

muller@Alliant.COM (Jim Muller) (03/22/89)

In article <8903201559.aa07576@SMOKE.BRL.MIL> REWING@TRINCC.BITNET writes:
>Look folks, I don't know where some of this BS is coming from regarding
>the fictional death of the Apple II family...
What do you mean, "death of the Apple II family"?  You mean I can't use my
unenhanced //e anymore?  (Grooooaan.)  Aw-shucks, just the other day I booted
up Applewriter //e and it worked *perfectly*.  And my terminal emulator still
worked, at least the last time I tried it last week.  And there were so many
programs I always intended to write (in Pascal yet) but never got around to.
Now I'll have to go out and buy a new machine, and learn a yet another word-
processor and another OS.  And maybe I'll *never* get those programs written.
I never could get the hang of this planned obsolescence anyway.  Seemed like
such a waste.  Oh well, if that's the way "they" want it...
--
    - Jim Muller

tribby@hpindda.HP.COM (David Tribby) (03/22/89)

> Look folks, I don't know where some of this BS is coming from regarding
> the fictional death of the Apple II family, but its obvious to me that
> many people in this industry, usually writing for trade rags just don't
> know what the hell they are talking about. ...
> ... if you guys knew what was coming down the pike for the Apple II world,
> all this conversation would quickly end.
>
> --Rick Ewing
>   Apple Atlanta tech Support
>   ...and generally pissed off by all of this...

Rick (and Keith and the rest of you Apple insiders)...

Since I also work for a company with a "no talk of futures" policy, I can
sympathize with your frustration at not being able to describe all the
nifty new products under development.

Even though you can't tell us specifically what is coming, could Apple do
any of the following...

	* Give us some general directions for product strategy.
	  (e.g., Apple will continue enhancing IIGS software and firmware,
	  particularly emphasizing performance tune-up. A new system disk
	  is expected to be released during the second half of 1989.)
	  Even if it's not very detailed, we would like to know what Apple
	  is committed to do over the next couple of years.

	* Put together a significant announcement for AppleFest. You
	  can tell people to "just wait until May...then you'll know
	  what's going on" and things might quiet down on the net for
	  a while. Of course, if the announcement doesn't meet
	  expectations, users will not be pleased.

	* Tell us, in general, the amount of resources Apple is commiting
	  to the II line. "We've advertised in the San Jose Mercury, A+,
	  and Call-A.P.P.L.E. for support and development engineers, and
	  are interviewing like crazy to fill xxx new openings to join the
	  yyy engineers already at work in Cupertino."

	* Highlight any significant new third-party offerings that aren't
	  confidential. Applied Engineering seems to have some new board
	  every few months, so they must be "bullish" on the II. Are you
	  aware of any new software packages introduced during the first
	  quarter of '89? Even if net readers aren't interested in the
	  specific products, it's heartening to know someone else thinks
	  the II is worth an investment.

The imminent death of the II line has been predicted regularly over the
years, and I long ago learned not to believe everything I read in the
press (or on the net :-). It's unfortunate that Apple cannot immediately
respond to the latest waves of rumors and bad news, but perhaps you can
give us some additional hopeful indications. (Your presence on the net
is a strong positive factor; Apple must have some good plans for the II
if they continue to pay your salaries!).

--Dave Tribby
                                   - - - - -
        ARPA: tribby%hpda@hplabs.HP.COM   UUCP: hplabs!hpda!tribby