[comp.sys.apple] stereo cards

gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn ) (03/22/89)

In article <4288@brains.uucp> robert_macausland%brains@iisat writes:
>  Is anyone out there familiar with MDideas Stereo card and digitizer?  They
>seem to have the best prices and I was wondering what sort of quality you get
>for your $49 US?

It's adequate for experimentation, although the most promising approach
for serious music use seems to be via a MIDI interface instead of using
the Ensoniq.  The MDIdeas card is pretty good for a few games, also.

The biggest problems I've had with mine (other than having to rewire one
of the audio jacks that was reversed and therefore shorting the output)
are: digitizing stereo is a pain, because the digitizer is just one
channel at a time; high hum levels especially if your stereo system is
not close to your computer.

Note that there have been a couple of other competitive products, and I
seem to recall that MDIdeas now has a stereo digitizer.  For the price I
can't really complain.