[comp.sys.apple] double-hires page flipping

>Date:         Tue, 21 Mar 89 07:34:09 GMT
>From:         Matt Deatherage <mattd@APPLE.COM>
>Subject:      Re: Page Flipping.
>
> [...]
>Peter Baum (the man who discovered Double Hi-Res in the first place, and
>in the second) told me once that you can access DHGR page two, but you have
>to be sure the 80-column FIRMWARE is off.
>
>Unfortunately, that's all I remember, and I haven't had time to go mucking
>about with it lately.  But it's a start.

I have _not_ tried this, but I think the deal is that PAGE1 and PAGE2
($C054 and $C055) will flip double-hires pages iff (if and only if)
80STORE is turned off.  Once you've flipped to the page you want to
show, you can turn 80STORE back on, at which time PAGE1 and PAGE2
determine whether you're reading/writing main or auxiliary memory.

>Matt Deatherage, Apple Computer, Inc.
>[...]
>Usenet:  mattd@apple.com

Matt--I'm about 89% sure that "mattd@apple.com" is an Internet
address and not a Usenet address.  But then I don't have much of an
idea what Usenet really is.

 --David A. Lyons              bitnet: awcttypa@uiamvs
   DAL Systems                 CompuServe:  72177,3233
   P.O. Box 287                GEnie mail:    D.LYONS2
   North Liberty, IA 52317     AppleLinkPE: Dave Lyons

>Matt--I'm about 89% sure that "mattd@apple.com" is an Internet
>address and not a Usenet address.  But then I don't have much of an
>idea what Usenet really is.

"USENET" is a "news" distribution system, often associated with but NOT
identical to, UUCP (which isn't really a network in the sense of the Internet,
csnet, or BITNET).  USENET is available (can be made available) to sites
that aren't part of UUCP, and not every UUCP node carries USENET (amusing
huh, "useNET" isn't really a "net" :-)

Apple's computer is on BOTH the Internet and UUCP.  username@Apple.COM
is an Internet address (one that works from BITNET, by the way since an
MX record is not required).  According to psuvax1's pathalias generator,
the nearest UUCP backbone is 'ames' and the path is ames!claris!apple!username
(ames!apple!username is sufficient, because the 'ames' mailer also is capable
of generating paths for UUCP nodes -- I gather that most backbone sites can
do that).

Murph Sewall                       Vaporware? ---> [Gary Larson returns 1/1/90]
Prof. of Marketing     Sewall@UConnVM.BITNET
Business School        sewall%uconnvm.bitnet@mitvma.mit.edu          [INTERNET]
U of Connecticut       {psuvax1 or mcvax }!UCONNVM.BITNET!SEWALL     [UUCP]

-+- I don't speak for my employer, though I frequently wish that I could

According to the American Facsimile Association, more than half the calls
from Japan to the U.S. are fax calls.  FAX it to me at: 1-203-486-5246

hentosh@amethyst.bucknell.EDU (03/22/89)

>I have _not_ tried this, but I think the deal is that PAGE1 and PAGE2
>($C054 and $C055) will flip double-hires pages iff (if and only if)
>80STORE is turned off.  Once you've flipped to the page you want to
>show, you can turn 80STORE back on, at which time PAGE1 and PAGE2
>determine whether you're reading/writing main or auxiliary memory.
>
> --David A. Lyons              bitnet: awcttypa@uiamvs
>   DAL Systems                 CompuServe:  72177,3233
>   P.O. Box 287                GEnie mail:    D.LYONS2
>   North Liberty, IA 52317     AppleLinkPE: Dave Lyons

I have tried this and could not get is to display page two (which
should be from $4000 to $5FFF like it says on all the memory maps
in the IIGS Hardware Manual). I also to a look at Apple IIe technote #3
which talks about double Hi-Res and how to access both pages. (It says
to do the same thing as above).  But while reading the IIgs Hardware
Reference (p71 (middle of page) I noticed for the first time this:
"All of the display modes execpt 80-column text mode and Double Hi-Res and
Super Hi-Res graphic modes can use either of 2 display pages."
So which is right?  The rest of the book shows TWO pages for double
hi-res in all the figures and tables, and the IIe technote describes
how to access the second page, but I can't get it. So is there another
soft switch that needs setting? Or is this an incompatablility between
the two machines.... HELP!

        Thanks again,
                Bob

 BITNET: hentosh@amethyst.bucknell.edu | Disclaimer : "I don't know why I
 ALPE  : RobertH128                    |   said that... I think it came from