[comp.sys.apple] SYS/BIN auxtypes

>Date:         Fri, 17 Mar 89 07:26:00 EST
>From:         "Kevin O. Lepard (517) 629-5511 x6668"
>Subject:      RE: BinSCII 1.0.2 problem
>
>Thanks for all the help folks.  The problem turned out to be that the
>file from the Executioner was created as a BIN file at A$1000 rather than
>a SYS file at A$2000.  I checked the text file I downloaded, and the
>text file specifies a save at A$1000 and then the E00G.
>
>Why's it say this?

Because that's exactly what it _must_ say, considering that the bytes
which need to be saved to the file are stored in memory starting at
$1000 at that point.

After the BSAVE, there will be a BIN file with auxiliary type $1000.
The auxiliary type of a BIN file is its default load address.

After the E00G, which does a SET_FILE_INFO on the file, the filetype
and auxtype will be changed to whatever they were on the original
file.  The auxtype of a SYS file does _not_ determine its load
address.  SYS files are always *executed* at $2000.  A SYS file's
auxtype will often "accidentally" be $2000, but this does not matter.

>]create binscii,tsys
>]bload binscii1.0.2,a$2000
>]bsave binscii,tsys,a$2000,l3640
>
>That will change it to a SYS file that should work, at least it worked
>for me.

Changing the filetype would be sufficient, but the above is the
easiest way to do it using only BASIC.SYSTEM.

In Davex, you could just type:  filetype binscii sys

>Kevin Lepard
>Bitnet:  Sasquatch@albion.bitnet

 --David A. Lyons              bitnet: awcttypa@uiamvs
   DAL Systems                 CompuServe:  72177,3233
   P.O. Box 287                GEnie mail:    D.LYONS2
   North Liberty, IA 52317     AppleLinkPE: Dave Lyons

lwv@n8emr.UUCP (Larry W. Virden) (03/19/89)

David, or anyone else familar with Prodos - I find that some shells allow
me to run Kermit from the shell and some complain.  Kermit is a bin type
file.  Has anyone attempted to figure a way to make it a SYS so that it can
be executed from within the shells?

--
Larry W. Virden	 674 Falls Place, Reynoldsburg, OH 43068 (614) 864-8817
75046,606 (CIS) ; LVirden (ALPE) ; osu-cis!n8emr!lwv (UUCP)

shawn@pnet51.cts.com (Shawn Stanley) (03/22/89)

lwv@n8emr.UUCP (Larry W. Virden) writes:
>David, or anyone else familar with Prodos - I find that some shells allow
>me to run Kermit from the shell and some complain.  Kermit is a bin type
>file.  Has anyone attempted to figure a way to make it a SYS so that it can
>be executed from within the shells?

A SYS file is executed at memory location $2000.  If Kermit can handle that,
then you're in luck.

UUCP: {uunet!rosevax, amdahl!bungia, chinet, killer}!orbit!pnet51!shawn
INET: shawn@pnet51.cts.com