[comp.sys.apple] Apple Employees and the Laser

davidbrierley@LYNX.NORTHEASTERN.EDU (03/22/89)

     I'm curious to learn from Apple Employees about Apple's reaction to
the Laser series computers.  I'd also like to know what their personal
opinions are on the Lasers and their effect on the Apple ][ community.
Of course, if Apple corporate policy discourages such comment from its
employees I'll understand if there is no comment.

                                            David R. Brierley

Internet: davidbrierley@lynx.northeastern.edu

keith@Apple.COM (Keith Rollin) (03/22/89)

In article <memo.103389@lynx.northeastern.edu> davidbrierley@LYNX.NORTHEASTERN.EDU writes:

>     I'm curious to learn from Apple Employees about Apple's reaction to
>the Laser series computers.  I'd also like to know what their personal
>opinions are on the Lasers and their effect on the Apple ][ community.
>Of course, if Apple corporate policy discourages such comment from its
>employees I'll understand if there is no comment.
>
>                                            David R. Brierley

I'm confused as to what you want here. In one sentence you say "Apple's reac-
tion" and in another you talk about "[our] personal opinions." I can't say
anything about the former, but as for the latter, I am on the opinion that if
something suits your needs and you like it, then buy it. This philosophy can
apply to all of Laser, Franklin, and Apple computers.

INTERNET: keith@apple.com
"Argue for your Apple, and sure enough, it's yours" - Keith Rollin, Contusions

In article <27690@apple.Apple.COM> keith@Apple.COM (Keith Rollin) writes:
>In article <memo.103389@lynx.northeastern.edu> davidbrierley@LYNX.NORTHEASTERN.EDU writes:
>>

>>     I'm curious to learn from Apple Employees about Apple's reaction to
>>the Laser series computers.  I'd also like to know what their personal
>>opinions are on the Lasers and their effect on the Apple ][ community.
>>
>>                                            David R. Brierley
>
>I'm confused as to what you want here. In one sentence you say "Apple's reac-
>tion" and in another you talk about "[our] personal opinions." I can't say

Oh, sorry. I didn't see that 'also' in there. Now it makes more sense.

INTERNET: keith@apple.com
"Argue for your Apple, and sure enough, it's yours" - Keith Rollin, Contusions

>>     I'm curious to learn from Apple Employees about Apple's reaction to
>>the Laser series computers.  I'd also like to know what their personal
>>opinions are on the Lasers and their effect on the Apple ][ community.
>>Of course, if Apple corporate policy discourages such comment from its
>>employees I'll understand if there is no comment.
>>
>>                                            David R. Brierley
>
>I'm confused as to what you want here. In one sentence you say "Apple's reac-
>tion" and in another you talk about "[our] personal opinions." I can't say
>anything about the former, but as for the latter, I am on the opinion that if
>something suits your needs and you like it, then buy it. This philosophy can
>apply to all of Laser, Franklin, and Apple computers.

Apple's reaction on the other hand has been to 1) sue Franklin (and win),
2) try as hard as they can to get U.S. Customs to prevent the Laser from
being imported (they managed to hold up deliveries a couple of months),
3) try to get Customs to prevent importation of Mac clones on the same
grounds (violation of copyright) - Customs is busy analyzing the Tiawanese
Mac ROMs against Apple's copyrights.  As ROMs get bigger and more complex,
it's going to be more and more difficul (and time consuming) for Customs
to determine whether importers' computers comply with U.S. copyright
regulations (Customs IS reduced to doing the job because Tiawan's government
refused to honor US copyrights -- can't sue 'em in Tiawan and recover losses).

Apple has been EXCEEDINGLY public and vocal about using every legal maneuver
in the arsenal to prevent Mac cloning (even the Mac's look and feel -- BTW
a first page story in this week's InfoWorld says Apple has won the opening
round of their suit against Microsoft and HP <the issue was the scope of
Apple's earlier agreement with Microsoft>).  I presume that if Apple's
lawyers could find a way to bankrupt the Laser makers and sellers they'd
do so (IBM doesn't like cloners much either).  I'd expect any real attempt
to clone the IIgs would be opposed with the same vigor as the opposition to
Mac clones (the Laser //c clones are, as far as I know, a "done deal" at this
point).

Apple's lawyers are still muddling over what to do about the "Blue Mac" (an
inexpensive Mac clone that uses honest to goodness Apple Mac ROM's bought
from an Apple VAR <Value Added Retailer> who, so far, has been able to
"grey market" Macintosh ROM chips without Apple finding out and cutting off
the supply)

Murph Sewall                       Vaporware? ---> [Gary Larson returns 1/1/90]
Prof. of Marketing     Sewall@UConnVM.BITNET
Business School        sewall%uconnvm.bitnet@mitvma.mit.edu          [INTERNET]
U of Connecticut       {psuvax1 or mcvax }!UCONNVM.BITNET!SEWALL     [UUCP]

-+- I don't speak for my employer, though I frequently wish that I could

According to the American Facsimile Association, more than half the calls
from Japan to the U.S. are fax calls.  FAX it to me at: 1-203-486-5246