[comp.sys.apple] IIGS and CD/ROM

MSER001@ECNCDC.BITNET (03/23/89)

Another question...or two.
Is it true that it costs about $2200.00 dollars to master a cd?  Then the
cost per cd goes to about 4.00 or so? (provided volume).

Also..where would one find a list of current CD's(not music ar ar) for
the IIGS?  well...if we must scan with a apple scanner, we must create
cd's.

scott hutinger mser001@ecncdc.bitnet

wack@udel.EDU (Andrew Wack) (03/23/89)

In article <8903230126.aa10495@SMOKE.BRL.MIL> MSER001@ECNCDC.BITNET writes:
>Another question...or two.
>Is it true that it costs about $2200.00 dollars to master a cd?  Then the
>cost per cd goes to about 4.00 or so? (provided volume).

Depends on what company you go to...I've been in the process of getting a
CD (music) pressed and the best deal I found was $1600 for 1000 discs
complete.  This includes mastering, pressing, jewel boxes, printing the
label on the disc, and inserting user supplied booklet and back cover.
This price is from Phillips Dupont Optical.  I think it breaks down into
about $600 for mastering and then $1.00 per CD.

As a side note, this is about HALF the price I was quoted a year ago
when I began the project.  Turns out the there is currently a serious
amount of over capacity at the CD manufacturing plants...

			    Andrew Wack

wack@udel.edu

farrier@Apple.COM (Cary Farrier) (03/24/89)

In article <11453@louie.udel.EDU> wack@udel.EDU (Andrew Wack) writes:
>Depends on what company you go to...I've been in the process of getting a
>CD (music) pressed and the best deal I found was $1600 for 1000 discs
>complete.  This includes mastering, pressing, jewel boxes, printing the
>label on the disc, and inserting user supplied booklet and back cover.
>This price is from Phillips Dupont Optical.  I think it breaks down into
>about $600 for mastering and then $1.00 per CD.

   I would assume that pressing an Audio CD would be lest costly than
   pressing a CD-ROM, because the error correction on an Audio CD will
   allow for errors in the data, while CD-ROM data must be exact (not one
   bit can be different).  On an Audio CD if there is an error then the
   hardware retrieving the audio data will kludge the sound with the last
   sound data played, and the result is not (usually) apparent to the
   listener.  However, this can't be done on a CD-ROM for obvious reasons.

This message does in no way reflect the views or opinions of
any organization.  In fact, they illustrate just how disorganized
things really are.