[comp.sys.apple] Apple II game software

mcgurrin@MITRE.MITRE.ORG (03/21/89)

Two brief notes:  As reported in the latest Washington Apple Pi journal, a
speaker from Microprose stated they had several IIGS programs in the works
which are now on hold because Apple started talking about a $1000 Mac.  They
(actually he) stated that the projects remain on hold for the time being.
He also complained about slow video and the lack of page flipping and stated
this was why there wasn't an F19 game for the GS.  He also said the prototype
GS's had page flipping.

Second, I posted a query in the game vendor section of Compu$erve asking
Electronic Arts about support for the IIGS.  They stated that 8 bit machines
had had their day (sic) but they had some products still in the pipe.  Several
people pointed out that the GS was not an 8 bit machine, I'll have to log
back on to see if there is anymore response from EA.

dvac@drutx.ATT.COM (Daniel Vachon) (03/23/89)

Well I see talk around the net that support for the Apple //gs (in terms of
third party software) is dropping... Well, I heard today from a totally
seperate source that this is true.  ELectronic Arts, Activision, Epyx, and a
couple other companies have dropped //gs development staffs down to close to
nothing.  This came from someone who used to be a //gs programmer at Activision
so I would tend to believe it...  But, it's a free world....These are just
facts....

Later - Dan Vachon    !ucbvax!att!mtuxo!mtgzz!drutx!dvac

dseah@wpi.wpi.edu (David I Seah) (03/24/89)

In article <8903211317.AA07584@mitre.arpa> mcgurrin@MITRE.MITRE.ORG writes:
>Two brief notes:  As reported in the latest Washington Apple Pi journal, a
>speaker from Microprose stated they had several IIGS programs in the works
>which are now on hold because Apple started talking about a $1000 Mac.  They
>(actually he) stated that the projects remain on hold for the time being.
>He also complained about slow video and the lack of page flipping and stated
>this was why there wasn't an F19 game for the GS.  He also said the prototype
>GS's had page flipping.

At last!  One more step towards Video Independance!  Thinking back to the
early 1980s, it's really kind of amazing that people put up with all the apple
graphics weirdness.

MicroProse, no less!  An F19 Stealth Mission for the GS would exceed my
wildest expectations!  Ahhh....maybe Gunship?  How many years have Apple
gamers been waiting?

What is Washington Apple Pi journal?  A club-zine?