[comp.sys.apple] GS/OS FSTs, Desktop/Finder, etc

>Date:         Thu, 16 Mar 89 17:47:05 GMT
>From:         Kareth <mentor.cc.purdue.edu!asd@PURDUE.EDU>
>Subject:      Re: why Finder replaced Desktop; large HDs
>
>[...] I'm interested in why Apple chose to make something new that
>offers less in window opening speed, size of information, etc. when
>they could have taken work previously done and bring it to GS/OS.

As Matt pointed out in another note, the old Desktop is _not_
something that Apple wrote in the first place.  The Finder is a
completely separate product, but it _is_ what you get when you take
the same ideas and use GS/OS, the super-hires display, follow actual
human interface guidelines, etc.

>Okay, picky, picky :-)  I didn't mean PRO.FST wasn't a real GS/OS
>fst. I meant it doesn't support everything GS/OS can.  In a sense,
>PRO.FST might be considered to be a foreign translator, that
>unfortunately, we have to use until we get our native translator,
>GSOS.FST.  I understand the other stuff, guess I just didn't make
>myself clear.

First, I endorse Matt's comments in another note.

There is no reason to expect (or even _want_) Apple to invent a brand
new file system just for GS/OS.  I don't feel at all unfortunate to
have a ProDOS FST for GS/OS; without it, I would be unable to read or
write ProDOS-format disks.

The word "ProDOS" in "ProDOS FST" refers to the format of the
information stored on a disk, the ProDOS _file system_, and _not_ to
any operating system that also happens to be called ProDOS.  In
other words, the ProDOS FST is a written-from-scratch piece of code
which takes full advantage of the 65816.

As I think I said in a previous note, _every_ FST will impose
restrictions on filenames, volume size, etc.  That's okay.  I don't
see a need for a new file system to be invented at this time, since
existing ones are good:

It would be reasonable for Apple to release an HFS FST to let us read
and write disks in Hierarchical Filing System Format, as usually used
with the Macintosh.  HFS does not have a 32M volume size limit (what
_is_ its limit, folks?), and it is much more efficient than the
ProDOS format when you have long directories.

Apple has never promised to release an HFS FST, and I don't if
they're working on one.  My best guess is that they are, but that
they're taking the time to get it perfect.  HFS is a much trickier
file system to implement than ProDOS, and releasing an FST with any
serious bugs would be a mistake on a scale that the mind cannot
comfortably comprehend.

[To paraphrase someone from Ghostbusters:  "This twinkie represents
the normal amount of hostile energy among Apple IIgs users.  If a
volume-munching FST  was released, this would be a twinkie over 500
feet long."]

 --David A. Lyons              bitnet: awcttypa@uiamvs
   DAL Systems                 CompuServe:  72177,3233
   P.O. Box 287                GEnie mail:    D.LYONS2
   North Liberty, IA 52317     AppleLinkPE: Dave Lyons

gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn ) (03/18/89)

In article <8903171111.aa07585@SMOKE.BRL.MIL> AWCTTYPA@UIAMVS.BITNET ("David A. Lyons") writes:
>restrictions on filenames, volume size, etc.  That's okay.  I don't
>see a need for a new file system to be invented at this time, since
>existing ones are good:

It's the restrictions on filenames and volume size that we want FIXED!
I'm another GS user who would already have acquired an 80-300Mb SCSI
disk if the OS would only have supported it reasonably.

If HFS.FST will support such disks, then fine.  Give us one.  Is the
hold-up simply fixing all the Apple II tools to cope with the resource
forks?

shawn@pnet51.cts.com (Shawn Stanley) (03/22/89)

gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn ) writes:
>It's the restrictions on filenames and volume size that we want FIXED!

You find the 15-character filename size limit unreasonable?  I find that
filenames larger than 15 characters can become rather unwieldy, especially if
you're passing information between other computer systems.

UUCP: {uunet!rosevax, amdahl!bungia, chinet, killer}!orbit!pnet51!shawn
INET: shawn@pnet51.cts.com

farrier@Apple.COM (Cary Farrier) (03/23/89)

In article <795@orbit.UUCP> shawn@pnet51.cts.com (Shawn Stanley) writes:
>gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn ) writes:
>>It's the restrictions on filenames and volume size that we want FIXED!
>
>You find the 15-character filename size limit unreasonable?  I find that
>filenames larger than 15 characters can become rather unwieldy, especially if
>you're passing information between other computer systems.
>
>UUCP: {uunet!rosevax, amdahl!bungia, chinet, killer}!orbit!pnet51!shawn
>INET: shawn@pnet51.cts.com

Besides that, the 15 character filename size limit is specific to the ProDOS
file system.  The limit in High Sierra/ISO 9660 is 32 letters.  What I'm
getting at is that there is nothing to be fixed, the limits on filenames and
volume sizes are specific to the file system involved.  ProDOS limits the volumesize to 32k, High Sierra/ISO 9660 is somewhere around 700Mb. This could go
on and on and on...

This message does in no way reflect the views or opinions of
any organization.  They are entirely my own.

gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn ) (03/23/89)

In article <795@orbit.UUCP> shawn@pnet51.cts.com (Shawn Stanley) writes:
>gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn ) writes:
>>It's the restrictions on filenames and volume size that we want FIXED!
>You find the 15-character filename size limit unreasonable?  I find that
>filenames larger than 15 characters can become rather unwieldy, especially if
>you're passing information between other computer systems.

For years UNIX had a 14-character filename limit.
It definitely got in the way, and 4.2BSD expanded it many times.
People who got used to 4.2BSD filenames and have had to deal with
older UNIX filesystems definitely have found the 14-character
limit a serious hindrance.

So, yes, 15-character filenames are woefully small.

In article <1019@internal.Apple.COM> farrier@Apple.COM (Cary Farrier) writes:
-Besides that, the 15 character filename size limit is specific to the ProDOS
-file system.  The limit in High Sierra/ISO 9660 is 32 letters.  What I'm
-getting at is that there is nothing to be fixed, the limits on filenames and
-volume sizes are specific to the file system involved.  ProDOS limits the volumesize to 32k, High Sierra/ISO 9660 is somewhere around 700Mb. This could go
-on and on and on...

We don't have the option of using High Sierra on our read/write disks,
e.g. HD20SC.  Therefore there IS a limitation and some of us DO want
it removed.

farrier@Apple.COM (Cary Farrier) (03/24/89)

In article <9907@smoke.BRL.MIL> gwyn@brl.arpa (Doug Gwyn (VLD/VMB) <gwyn>) writes:
>We don't have the option of using High Sierra on our read/write disks,
>e.g. HD20SC.  Therefore there IS a limitation and some of us DO want
>it removed.

That's not the point.  The point is that it is the file system which imposes
any and all limitations on storage.  If ProDOS was changed, then it would no
longer be ProDOS, it would be another file system.  What you want is a new
filing system, not changes to ProDOS.

This message does in no way reflect the views or opinions of
any organization.  In fact, they illustrate just how disorganized
things really are.

gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn ) (03/24/89)

In article <1034@internal.Apple.COM> farrier@Apple.COM (Cary Farrier) writes:
>What you want is a new filing system, not changes to ProDOS.

If you had read the messages you responded to in the first place,
you would have seen that I pointed that out.  Yes, I do want a new
filesystem format supported by GS/OS without these restrictions.
HFS would probably do.  Where is it?