[comp.sys.apple] applesoft file to text file

CHRIS@BROWNVM.BITNET (Christopher Chung) (03/22/89)

Is there any easy to convert an applesoft file into a text file.  I need
to upload many applesoft files to my mainframe for editting but they need
to be converted to text file format first.  Is there a simple way to do it
without having to load each file by hand.  Perhaps some program???
Please send replies directly to me as I don't always to a chance to read the
list in a timely manner.

Thanks,
Chris

>Is there any easy to convert an applesoft file into a text file.  I need
>to upload many applesoft files to my mainframe for editting but they need
>to be converted to text file format first.  Is there a simple way to do it
>without having to load each file by hand.  Perhaps some program???

That IS one of the options of the Executioner program (convert a BAS
file into a TXT listing file).  After you've converted one file, you have
the option of doing another file.  You will have to type in the name of
each program.  If you're truly organized: 1) copy all the BAS programs to
a separate data disk, 2) use COPY II Plus's RENAME to name the programs
A, B, C, D, E,...etc. 3) QUIT to EXECUTIONER and make short work of the
bunch, 4) use Kermit's wildcard capability to transfer the whole batch :-)

Murph Sewall                       Vaporware? ---> [Gary Larson returns 1/1/90]
Prof. of Marketing     Sewall@UConnVM.BITNET
Business School        sewall%uconnvm.bitnet@mitvma.mit.edu          [INTERNET]
U of Connecticut       {psuvax1 or mcvax }!UCONNVM.BITNET!SEWALL     [UUCP]

-+- I don't speak for my employer, though I frequently wish that I could

According to the American Facsimile Association, more than half the calls
from Japan to the U.S. are fax calls.  FAX it to me at: 1-203-486-5246

h75@np1.hep.nl (Henk Uijterwaal) (03/23/89)

In article <8903212330.aa10283@SMOKE.BRL.MIL> CHRIS@BROWNVM.BITNET (Christopher Chung) writes:
>Is there any easy to convert an applesoft file into a text file.  I need
>to upload many applesoft files to my mainframe for editting but they need
>to be converted to text file format first.  Is there a simple way to do it
>without having to load each file by hand.  Perhaps some program???
>Please send replies directly to me as I don't always to a chance to read the
>list in a timely manner.

Add these lines to your program:

  62000 D$=CHR$(4)
  62010 POKE 33,33
  62020 PRINT D$;"OPEN TEXTFILE"
  62030 PRINT D$;"WRITE TEXTFILE"
  62040 LIST ,61999
  62050 PRINT D$;"CLOSE TEXTFILE"
  62060 TEXT
  62070 END

Now type RUN 62000 and your file will be listed on a textfile.

Henk Uijterwaal.

erast1@cisunx.UUCP (Evan Ron Aussenberg) (03/24/89)

In article <8903221736.aa06224@SMOKE.BRL.MIL> SEWALL@UCONNVM.BITNET (Murph Sewall) writes:
>>Is there any easy to convert an applesoft file into a text file...
>>[...chop]

>That IS one of the options of the Executioner program (convert a BAS
>file into a TXT listing file).  After you've converted one file, you have
>the option of doing another file.  You will have to type in the name of
>each program.

Hmm, I don't think you'll have to type in each name (unless you want to).
As long as the Prefix is set accordingly, the Executioner (..tionOr?) program
that I have will let me use the arrow keys (up/down) to pick a file in the
current directory.  Note: When picking a BAS file to work with, Executioner
will eventualy ask if the file should be made into a Listing type exec file.
The correct answer in this scenario is Yes.  I just got done messing with
Executioner so I know this to be true.  However I couldn't figure out if
you save a basic file as text WITH some spaces betweeen all the key words.
(Executioner takes out the spaces as far as I could tell).

My usuall quicky way is to ad (temporarily) a line 0 to the Basic program.
(From ProDOS):

0 d$=chr$ : print d$"open basic.src" : print d$"write basic.src" : list 1,
  : print d$"close"

Evan Ron Aussenberg / erast1@unix.cis.pittsburgh.edu

erast1@cisunx.UUCP (Evan Ron Aussenberg) (03/24/89)

In article <17024@cisunx.UUCP> erast1@unix.cis.pittsburgh.edu (Evan Ron Aussenberg) writes:
Boy I hate not being able to Kill my own (mistakes) articles.

>0 d$=chr$ : print d$"open basic.src" : print d$"write basic.src" : list 1,
>  : print d$"close" : END : REM DONT'T LET THE MAIN PROGRAM START!
		     Oops, forgot the end statement.  Putting this statement
as your last program line number and using 'list ,last_program_line#' in
the statement above will work too as someone else pointed out.

Evan Ron Aussenberg / erast1@unix.cis.pittsburgh.edu