[comp.sys.apple] graphics

schlichting@NUSC.ARPA ("SCHLICHTING C.L.") (01/21/87)

Is there a way to use Printshop graphics with Newsroom and viceversa?
Thanks for any help. C. Schlichting(Schlichting@NUSC.arpa)
------

wmapple@BRL.ARPA (Info-Apple-Request) (01/23/87)

Once again, folks, I ask you to distinguish between

	info-apple-request@brl.arpa	which is for requests about
					info-apple subscriptions

and

	info-apple@brl.arpa		which is where the discussion
					takes place and which is where
					REQUESTS for INFO about APPLE
					products should be sent.

I have to relay such messages as the following manually.  This is a
volunteer effort, and I cannot guarantee that your mail will get to the
correct place if you do not make the effort to send it to the correct
place.

Thanks,

Brint Cooper
Info-Apple-Request@brl.arpa

----- Forwarded message # 1:

Date:     Wed, 21 Jan 87 16:55 EST
From:     ACTS5%VAXSWD%rca.com@RELAY.CS.NET
To:       info-apple-request%BRL.ARPA%BRL-SMOKE.ARPA@RELAY.CS.NET
Subject:  RE: graphics

>Is there a way to use Printshop graphics with Newsroom and viceversa?

Yes!  "Clipcapture (TM)" will be able to take Newsroom PHOTO's (important
not clips) and create DOS 3.3 screens or printshop graphics.
It can also take dos 3.3 and printshop graphics and create newsroom clipart
screens.  I have used this a little, but it seems to work okay.

It is available for 24.95 from
  CLIPCAPTURE
  477 Windridge Drive
  Racine, Wi 53402

I know of no other way of accessing a Clip form newsroom.

       Craig (][+ 4ever) Roll

----- End of forwarded messages

patth@dasys1.UUCP (Patt Haring) (09/03/87)

SPEAKING OF GRAPHICS

GRAPHICS GALLERY GLEANINGS

by

Roberta Schwartz and Michael Callery

Guidelines for submissions, and word on three updates.

	We're delighted to tell you that we've been swamped with
submissions for "Speaking of Graphics Gallery," and they're
wonderful!  Not only does this response give us a chance to see
your work, but it also tells us what software and hardware
you're using.  Double-hi-res graphics created with Dazzle Draw
seem to be dominating, although we've also received hi-res ,
double-hi-res, and super-hi-res images created with a variety of
other programs.  To date, landscapes are the prevailing subject
matter.  Most of you appear to be using an AppleMouse for input,
and many of you use the ComputerEyes video acquisition system.
Is anyone using a light pen?

	Contributions are coming from readers ages 8 and up!
We've received lots of disks from school teachers across the
country who are doing exciting work with Apple graphics in the
classroom.  We're saving these for an upcoming issue of A+ that
will focus on education.  If you're a teacher who's working with
Apple graphics, we'd love to hear about it.  Send us your
students' work and a description of what they're doing.

	Although looking at your graphics is great fun, it can turn
into a chore if you don't send your work on a self-booting disk
that includes a slide show.  Since you're using a variety of
graphic programs, we've had to boot the appropriate program,
look at a few images, boot another program, look at some images,
boot another program, and so on, and so on.  So bear with us
while we establish some official guidelines for all "Speaking of
Graphics Gallery" submissions.

Slide Shows

	For graphics created with Dazzle Draw, use the Make Slide
Disk option on the File menu.  This option puts the ProDOS
operating system and a slide show onto your blank disk.  Next,
save your completed images (up to six pictures) onto this disk.
When you're ready to send us the disk, boot it, and you'll find
easy-to-follow instructions for establishing the order in which
you want the images to appear.  You also get a choice of
transitions and delays between pictures.  Please select option 1,
No Fade and then option 9, Wait for Keypress.  Doing so allows
us to display each image as long as necessary to photograph the
screen, after which we can press a key to view the next image.

	For graphics created with Paintworks Plus, save your
graphics as type $C1 files (screen format), and you can use the
side-show program we gave you in our last column (A+, "Speaking
of Graphics," June 1987) or a comparable presentation program.

	For graphics that you have created with Beagle Graphics,
use the program Slide Show which is on the Beagle Graphics
disk.  Instruction for using this program are in the Beagle
Graphics manual.

	If you're using Blazing Paddles, Complete Graphics System,
or any other standard hi-res-graphics program, and if you don't
already have a slide-show program, you can use the one in figure
1.  Put the names of your pictures in the DATA statements
starting at line 1000.  Be sure to include the last line, 1900
DATA DONE in the program.

Documentation

	When you send in "Graphics Gallery" submissions be sure to
put your name and the name of the graphics program you used on
the disk label.

	On a separate sheet of paper include your name, address,
title of pictures (in the order they're displayed on the disk),
the name of the program you used to create the images, the
graphics-input device(s) you used, and the computer you used.
Along with this information, feel free to include any descriptive
notes about yourself and/or your work.

	We appreciate your cooperation and look forward to seeing
your Apple art.

Update - ComputerEyes

	As evidenced by "Graphics Gallery" submissions, many of you
are using the ComputerEyes video-acquisition system.  Since
Roberta reviewed ComputerEyes (see A+, August 1986), Digital
Visions has released Computer Eyes/2 for the Apple II family of
computers.  We use it on the Apple IIGS, in the IIe emulation
mode, without a problem.  (Digital Vision will soon release
special software to let it work with the Apple IIGS gray-scales,
as well as a new, full color digitizer for the IIGS).

	ComputerEyes/2 is a board that plugs into any slot of an
Apple II Plus, IIe, or IIGS.  It captures both standard and
double-hi-res images in less than six seconds.  A preview
function lets you see the video input on your monitor before you
capture it, a significant option that lets you focus your
camera.  The program runs under either ProDOS or DOS 3.3.

	New enhancement software features conversion programs that
convert an Apple hi-res image to double hi-res (and back).  They
can also convert ComputerEyes/2 images to Print Shop Graphic
format or Newsroom Photo format, or even Print Shop Graphic
format to Newsroom Photo format, and vice versa.  You can shrink
or expand images by 1% increments or flip, invert, or scroll
them.  (This option is especially useful if your printer tends
to squash or stretch images.)  If you have a Video-7 Enhancer
or Legend E' Card in your Apple IIe, you can also acquire
impressive gray-scale (16-shade) images.  For a limited time,
Digital Vision is offering its customers a special purchase
price for the Video-7 card.  The price is less than half the
list price, so if you work a lot with digitized images, we
suggest you contact the company.

	We found ComputerEyes/2, with the enhancement software, to
be easier to use than the original ComputerEyes, and the images
are even better.  By the way, the price is the same as that of
the original ComputerEyes, which means it's still a best buy.

Fontrix Users, Take Note

	We've received inquiries about using Fontrix with the Apple
IIGS or the ImageWriter II.  If you're using these products,
you need Fontrix Version 1.55.  You can upgrade to this version
by sending Data Transforms your original Fontrix program disk
and $10.

	Watch for Data Transforms' new product for the Apple II
family, Printrix.  This software package lets you "typeset" your
text files from word-processing programs in Fontrix fonts, with
graphics merged into the text.  We'll tell you more about
Printrix after we've tried it.

Programmers' Delight

	For those of you who are serious graphics hackers
/tinkerers, Polarware is offering The Graphics Magician PICDRAW
Developer Package, an update of the picture/object editor of the
Graphics Magician.  As the name implies, the Developer Package
is intended for programmers and is, according to Polarware, "not
likely to be a 'retail store' product."  The existing retail
graphics Magician package works only with hi res and double hi
res.  This version has been revised to run under ProDOS and
works with hi res, double hi res, and, soon, super hi res with
one module.

	If you're not familiar with the picture/object editor of
the Graphics Magician, the program creates what
computer-graphics professionals call a display list.  As you
draw, the program remembers the moves you make and the commands
you give to create a graphic.  Unlike a recalled image form a
standard paint program, which just appears, a Graphics Magician
picture/object-editor image is redrawn right before your eyes.
PICDRAW recreates each and every one of your moves and commands.
If you're clever and patient, you can take advantage of this
feature and incorporate limited animation into your graphic.

	PICDRAW graphics are popular for use in educational
software and adventure games for two primary reasons.  First,
these images take up much less disk space than standard or even
compressed pictures.  Second, because they're stored as display
lists rather than bit maps, PICDRAW images can easily move from
one brand of computer to another with only minor changes to
accommodate different resolutions and color availability.

	Polarware also offers editors so that you can convert to
other brands of computers.  If you're developing graphics or
programs for the educational or entertainment market, you may
want to check out the PICDRAW Developer's Package.   To use this
product in a commercial application, you'll have to license it
from Polarware.

Long Live Ceemac!

	We recently received a letter from Brooke Boering, creator
of the interactive-graphics programming language Ceemac, the
language of Fire Organ.  Fire Organ, available in many
public-domain libraries, astounds everyone.  Each key on the
Apple keyboard generates a different rapidly moving graphic,
and most of them are beautifully symmetrical.  Nothing we've
ever seen compares to it.  Fire Organ was intended to entice
people to buy Ceemac so that they too could create new "scores"
(as Ceemac programs are called).

	Programming in Ceemac is not everyone's cup of tea.  Ceemac
is, like the displays it produces, eccentric but fun.  Over the
last several years, Boering has marketed, sold, duplicated,
packaged, and mailed Ceemac to anyone enraptured enough by Fire
Organ to want to give it a try.

	Now he's put versions of Ceemac up to 1.6 and its companion
tool, Maestro, into the public domain.  We expect it to appear
in the major public-domain and users'-group libraries soon.
Along with the language you'll get the source code of the Fire
Organ scores so that you can modify and refine the ones you
like.  At $75, Ceemac was a bargain; now that it will cost you
only what your users' group charges for a disk, you've no
excuse.  Give Ceemac a try!

	That's all for now.  See you next month.

PRODUCT INFORMATION

Ceemac and Maestro

Brooke Boering
Public-domain software available through users' groups

Requires:  Apple II Plus, IIe, or IIGS; 48K RAM; 5 1/4-inch disk
drive.  Not copy-protected; does not work with mouse.

ComputerEyes/2

Digital Vision, Inc.
14 Oak Street, Suite 2
Needham, MA  02192
(617)444-7160

List Price: $129.95; with black-and-white video camera, $459.95;
enhancement software, $24.95

Requires:  Apple II Plus, IIe, or IIGS; 64K RAM; one 5 1/4-inch
floppy-disk drive; video source such as a camera, VCR, or
videodisc player.  DOS 3.3 or ProDOS.

Fontrix 1.55

Data Transforms
616 Washington Street
Denver, CO  80203
(303)832-1501

List Price:  Fontrix 1.55, $95; upgrade, $10

The Graphics Magician
PICDRAW Developer Package

Polarware
Attention Jeffrey Jay
521 Hamilton, Box 311
Geneva, IL  60134
(800)323-0884

List Price: $95

Requires:  Apple II Plus, IIe, or IIc; 64K RAM; one 5 1/4-inch
disk drive.  Not copy protected; does not work with mouse.
ProDOS 8.

FIGURE 1: SLIDE-SHOW PROGRAM

1  TEXT:HOME
2  L1=8192: L2=16384:LOC=L1
3  READ F$
4  IF F$="DONE" THEN GOTO 5
5  PRINT CHR$(4); "BLOAD";F$;",A";LOC
6  C=C+1
7  IF C=1 THEN POKE -16297,:POKE -1632,:POKE 1634,
8  IF LOC=8192 THEN POKE -163,: LOC=L2: GOTO1
9  POKE -16299,:LOC=L1
10  GOTO 3
15  END
1000  DATA picname1
1100  DATA picname2
1900  DATA DONE

--
Patt Haring                       UUCP:    ..cmcl2!phri!dasys1!patth
Big Electric Cat                  Compu$erve: 76566,2510

GREYELF@WPI.BITNET (03/22/89)

I've heard a great deal of talk here lately about games that use page
flipping techniques.  It IS possible (even easy) to tap the
VBL interrupt itself, and use an interrupt driven routine to
flip the pages, then return, and let the program draw on the other
page.  As for page  flipping in Double hires mode, won't work.
Unfortunately the use of double-hires graphics causes the computer to
ignore the status of the DP2 line,  the line that control which page
is being displayed.

I've been talking about putting a multitasking feature in the next
version of SHELL, for anyone interested, read the docs.  Certainly
if people just want the ability to switch from one currently
running program to another on the fly like a mac, that should
not be a problem, I'll just make a reset interceptor.

One question guys, has anyone tried shell?  I'm really getting
discouraged here.  I'll make a deal, if I get enough money
to buy a IIgs, I'll make a IIgs version.  :^)

--
Michael J Pender Jr  Box 1942 c/o W.P.I.        I wrote SHELL, send bug
greyelf@wpi.bitnet   100 Institute Rd.          reports, suggestions, cash,

P.S.  I help people too.

dseah@wpi.wpi.edu (David I Seah) (03/24/89)

In article <8903220542.AA24198@wpi> GREYELF@WPI.BITNET writes:
>I've heard a great deal of talk here lately about games that use page
>flipping techniques.  It IS possible (even easy) to tap the
>VBL interrupt itself, and use an interrupt driven routine to
>flip the pages, then return, and let the program draw on the other
>page.

Wouldn't you have a problem if your interrupt driven page flipper flipped to
the page you were currently drawing on?  There doesn't seem to be much of an
advantage in using the VBL interrupt to flip pages.

>One question guys, has anyone tried shell?  I'm really getting
>discouraged here.  I'll make a deal, if I get enough money
>to buy a IIgs, I'll make a IIgs version.  :^)

Mike, I'm *FIVE MINUTES AWAY on FOOT*!  I haven't seen Shell yet!  Yoo hoo!
We are the same major!   We go to the same college!  We have a whole APPLE BBS
set-up on our mainframe!  Imagine how we feel! :>

This be a local distribution, too!