[comp.sys.apple] Contructive discussions on Apple future

lwv@n8emr.UUCP (Larry W. Virden) (03/19/89)

Okay, lets drop the Mac bashing (I LIKE the mac as a machine myself - my
concerns are with what is going to happen with the support of the machine
that I have at home).

instead, lets discuss what it is that we need on our Apples today that we
dont have.  If we dont know what new programs we need, how are we to expect
that we will ever get them.

After we have this list, then we can see amount the 4-5 million Apple users
who would like to fulfill that need.  Even if the commercial folks kill
support for this machine, that doesnt mean that we have to sit here and take
it - or even worse, buy a different machine.  Let's support it ourselves.
I mean - how did Woz begin all of this anyways - wait for someone to build
the first machine and write the first assembler so that he could begin?

I will begin.  What _I_ want on my IIgs is a FAST C compiler.  I need not
have toolbox support.  I do want an ANSI C compiler (current projections
are that the final approval of the ANSI stds will occur in the next 5 weeks).
I do want code that runs fast.  And I would appreciate code which, though
it might run much slower, was the result of a VERY FAST compile.  What
I mean here is that during development I dont care how fast the code is as
much as I care how fast I can get TO the executable code.

The other thing that I personally want on my IIgs is Minix, or something
like it.  Minix is a Unix-alike which permits multitasking and I believe
even multiuser capabilities.  I want to be able to run a 'subset'
of Unix here at the house, without going out and selling my GS and buying
a MS-DOS machine or an Atari.

Now I am certainly willing to work on Minix - but I am not even going to
start until I get a good C compiler.  The other thing that I need to buy
is a hard disk of some sort - and I am working on that right now (got
to get those taxes done first).

--
Larry W. Virden	 674 Falls Place, Reynoldsburg, OH 43068 (614) 864-8817
75046,606 (CIS) ; LVirden (ALPE) ; osu-cis!n8emr!lwv (UUCP)

jm7e+@ANDREW.CMU.EDU ("Jeremy G. Mereness") (03/20/89)

A good suggestion, Larry.

A little easierr said then done, but what isn't?
If the Apple // is to prove that is has the strongest user base of any PC, then
people have to act.

Anyway, I would like to see...
o  a fast, native code assembler in native code that works better than APW
o  ditto for debugger
o  a fast, native code C compiler
o  a multi-tasking operating system or atleast an approach that would allow
multiple applications to be open at once like SoftSwitch
o  a better DOS, that did not use 10K of disk space where the Mac would use 3K
o  stand alone applications combining the capabilities of Excel, Lotus, and
Cricket Graph. I mean, why not? Productivility, and _somebody_ will find so
many features useful.
o  chooser CDA
o  support for a math coprocessor
o  a fast, capable MacWrite clone that fits, w/ system and dictionary, on one
3.5 disk
o  Appleshare support
o  a widely distributed, improved Basic.System with more capable commands
o  a CDA editor like MiniWriter
o  GS version of ResEdit and use of resource forks.

This can go on, but these would solve the problems that prevent the //gs from
being recognized by this university's authorities as a possible substitute
for the Macintosh. In fact, if it just booted up faster, and had the _fast_
MacWrite and Excel clones and Appleshare support, everything would be fine
because that is all the Mac is really expected to do in most situations.
More languages, perfromance resembling ThinkC and LightSpeed Pascal, would help
too.

jeremy mereness
jm7e+@andrew.cmu.edu

gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn ) (03/20/89)

In article <931@n8emr.UUCP> lwv@n8emr.UUCP (Larry W. Virden) writes:
>I will begin.  What _I_ want on my IIgs is a FAST C compiler.  I need not
>have toolbox support.  I do want an ANSI C compiler (current projections
>are that the final approval of the ANSI stds will occur in the next 5 weeks).
>I do want code that runs fast.  And I would appreciate code which, though
>it might run much slower, was the result of a VERY FAST compile.  What
>I mean here is that during development I dont care how fast the code is as
>much as I care how fast I can get TO the executable code.

As a member of the ANSI C standardization committee (X3J11), it may be
of interest for me to note that the ANSI-specific C features are not my
first priority for IIGS C compilers.  Compilation speed even with APW C
can be enhanced considerably by (a) keeping source modules small and
using a "make"-like procedure to reduce recompilation, and (b) adding an
accelerator such as TransWarp GS.  I take for granted that APW users use
a hard disk; floppies are too painful for this.  My most-wanted feature
for IIGS C is support for ByteWorks' ORCA desktop debugger.  It is pretty
obvious how to implement this, and I'm hoping someone is working on it.

Toolbox support is pretty much an "add-on"; whether or not it exists is
independent of the real design choices for a IIGS C implementation.

>The other thing that I personally want on my IIgs is Minix, or something
>like it.  Minix is a Unix-alike which permits multitasking and I believe
>even multiuser capabilities.  I want to be able to run a 'subset'
>of Unix here at the house, without going out and selling my GS and buying
>a MS-DOS machine or an Atari.

Any substantially UNIX-like system for the IIGS would be very useful.
You're not likely to get this out of Apple, though, because they think
of the Apple II line as for kiddies and "obviously" you don't want to
turn kiddies loose in a UNIX shell.

>Now I am certainly willing to work on Minix - but I am not even going to
>start until I get a good C compiler.

I don't see why APW C isn't suitable.  I use it for lots of C projects.
It could stand some improvement and expanded libraries, but we can come
up with the latter ourselves.

lwv@n8emr.UUCP (Larry W. Virden) (03/23/89)

In article <9883@smoke.BRL.MIL> gwyn@brl.arpa (Doug Gwyn (VLD/VMB) <gwyn>) writes:
-->Any substantially UNIX-like system for the IIGS would be very useful.
-->You're not likely to get this out of Apple, though, because they think
-->of the Apple II line as for kiddies and "obviously" you don't want to
-->turn kiddies loose in a UNIX shell.
-->
Perhaps I wasnt very clear in my original msg - I wasnt looking for my
list of things FROM Apple, I was looking for folks out there in USENET-land
to contribute to the list of tools that they themselves saw as necessary
to feel like they were getting the full use of their machine.  And I was
looking for the list with an eye to encouraging all those C programmers
and assembly writers and even some of those Pascal people to write their
little fingers off writing some of these tools.  Why?  I often see folks
looking for projects to take on.  Porting some of the utilities available
in MSDOS and UNIX arenas should be able to be ported easily enough.

As for why I said I was going to wait for a good C compiler - well, maybe
APW C isnt all that bad - I just remember reading folks saying that they
were not about to use the stdio package since it made their programs a minimum
or 15k for hello world.  I thought at the time that it was a bad linker, but
then someone else told me that the code in generate was rather large
--

mikes@ncsuvx.ncsu.edu (Michael Steele) (03/23/89)

In article <931@n8emr.UUCP> lwv@n8emr.UUCP (Larry W. Virden) writes:

>I will begin.  What _I_ want on my IIgs is a FAST C compiler.  I need not
>have toolbox support.  I do want an ANSI C compiler (current projections
>are that the final approval of the ANSI stds will occur in the next 5 weeks).

	Will someone PLEASE port gcc to the GS.  I would do it but my
	knowledge of 65816 assembly isn't too hot.  GCC is a PD compiler
	available for UNIX machines, Amigas, and Atari ST's ( the group
	of PC's that the Gs should be in).  Once this FREE compiler was
	available there is EMACS as an excellent editor and all we need is
	a UNIX port.  GNU has started working on generalized UNIX but we
	ought to get started on the kernel.  Minix would be and excellent
	place to start. Given a free compiler and multi-tasking OS would
	fill in Major gaps that Apple is never going to fill for us. I
	personally like the line oriented environment for poking around
	the machine since it is considerably faster than Windowing!

>The other thing that I personally want on my IIgs is Minix, or something
>like it.  Minix is a Unix-alike which permits multitasking and I believe
>even multiuser capabilities.

			AMEN!!!

--
Michael Steele		mikes@ncsuvx.ncsu.edu
			mikes@ncsuctix.ncsuvx.ncsu.edu

gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn ) (03/23/89)

In article <940@n8emr.UUCP> lwv@n8emr.UUCP (Larry W. Virden) writes:
> - I just remember reading folks saying that they were not about
>to use the stdio package since it made their programs a minimum
>or 15k for hello world.

Yeah, one used to hear this bogus argument about UNIX stdio too.

There are indeed SOME applications where the overhead of stdio is
not a good tradeoff against its benefits.  A program that merely
prints "hello, world" is one of them.  But in a large application,
especially one that needs to run reasonably efficiently in a wide
variety of environments, stdio is indispensible.

wombat@claris.com (Scott Lindsey) (03/24/89)

From article <2692@ncsuvx.ncsu.edu>, by mikes@ncsuvx.ncsu.edu (Michael Steele):

> 	Will someone PLEASE port gcc to the GS.  I would do it but my
> 	knowledge of 65816 assembly isn't too hot.  GCC is a PD compiler
> 	available for UNIX machines, Amigas, and Atari ST's ( the group
> 	of PC's that the Gs should be in).

If someone can get me gcc source I'll be glad to start working on a port
part-time... I can't ftp from this machine.  I really don't know how big a
project it'll be.  The compiler will have to compile down to object code...
not to assembly: doing it like pcc & just using the system assembler would
be slow as all get-out.  But this means that the compiler has to know about
OMF...

--
Scott Lindsey     |"Cold and misty morning. I heard a warning borne in the air
Claris Corp.      |    About an age of power when no one had an hour to spare"

lwv@n8emr.UUCP (Larry W. Virden) (03/24/89)

Why would having it generate assembly code and then using something for
instance like Merlin 16+ be so slow?  I have been talking to Roger Wagner
and Glen Bredon and Merlin apparently SCREAMS (I am getting ready to send
in my upgrade materials).