[comp.sys.apple] Using the Subject: line in mail

halp@TCGOULD.TN.CORNELL.EDU ("Bruce P. Halpern") (03/23/89)

The subject line in the mail format is a powerful means of indicating what
you are going to write about. It permits others to decide whether or not
they wish to read your letter. Failing to indicate any subject, or using
terms such as "Lots of Things" misuses this powerful selection tool. Your
information is much more likely to be missed or lost if a concise and
accurate subject is not specified. The quickest and probably most used
Newsnet search procedures under  rn  or Readnews use article titles.

****DISCLAMER: My comments, etc., are my own shakey opinions ********

  |  Bruce P. Halpern  Psychology & Neurobiology & Behavior Cornell Ithaca    |
  |  INTERNET:halp@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu  BITNET:D57J@CORNELLA  D57J@CRNLVAX5|
  |  UUCP:{vax135,rochester,decvax}!cornell!batcomputer!halp                  |
  |  PHONE: 607-255-6433    Uris Hall, Cornell U., Ithaca, NY 14853-7601      |

archer@hsi.UUCP (Garry Archer) (03/24/89)

In article <8903222258.AA10829@tcgould.TN.CORNELL.EDU>, halp@TCGOULD.TN.CORNELL.EDU ("Bruce P. Halpern") writes:
> The subject line in the mail format is a powerful means of indicating what
> you are going to write about. It permits others to decide whether or not
> they wish to read your letter. Failing to indicate any subject, or using
> terms such as "Lots of Things" misuses this powerful selection tool. Your
> information is much more likely to be missed or lost if a concise and
> accurate subject is not specified. The quickest and probably most used
> Newsnet search procedures under  rn  or Readnews use article titles.

I have to agree.  I don't have time to read every article, so those
that have Subject lines with "(none)", "stuff", "apple stuff", "query",
"help!", "things", etc., etc., get completely ignored by me.  Often
times I wonder if I'm missing something good.  But there are usually
so many other good articles to read (and not just in comp.sys.apple)
that I have to cut back somewhere or I could be reading netnews all day!
(I don't have a modem to do this at home at night!)

--

		Garry Archer Esq.	{noao, yale, uunet}!hsi.com!archer
		Health Systems International

farrier@Apple.COM (Cary Farrier) (03/24/89)

In article <352@hsi86.hsi.UUCP> archer@hsi.UUCP (Garry Archer) writes:
>In article <8903222258.AA10829@tcgould.TN.CORNELL.EDU>, halp@TCGOULD.TN.CORNELL.EDU ("Bruce P. Halpern") writes:
>> The subject line in the mail format is a powerful means of indicating what
>> you are going to write about. It permits others to decide whether or not
>> they wish to read your letter. Failing to indicate any subject, or using
>> terms such as "Lots of Things" misuses this powerful selection tool. Your
>> information is much more likely to be missed or lost if a concise and
>> accurate subject is not specified. The quickest and probably most used
>> Newsnet search procedures under  rn  or Readnews use article titles.
>

>I have to agree.  I don't have time to read every article, so those
>that have Subject lines with "(none)", "stuff", "apple stuff", "query",
>"help!", "things", etc., etc., get completely ignored by me.  Often
>times I wonder if I'm missing something good.  But there are usually
>so many other good articles to read (and not just in comp.sys.apple)
>that I have to cut back somewhere or I could be reading netnews all day!
>(I don't have a modem to do this at home at night!)
>

>--
>
>		Garry Archer Esq.	{noao, yale, uunet}!hsi.com!archer
>		Health Systems International
>		New Haven, CT  06511		U.S.A.

This message does not belong in the comp.sys.apple newsgroup, please take
it to a general information newsgroup.

This message does in no way reflect the views or opinions of
any organization.  In fact, they illustrate just how disorganized
things really are.