[comp.sys.apple] Whatever, Whatever, Whatever

tsouth@pro-pac.cts.com (System Administrator) (03/25/89)

Re:

> Date: 19 Mar 89 02:52:28 GMT
> From: Matt Deatherage <pnet01!crash!apple.com!mattd>
> Subject: Re: Why, why, why?

> Denying what?  An article in next week's MacWeek that I haven't even seen?

Thank you, Matt.  I'm glad someone said that.  Stupid magazine anyway!

> No response about a rumor could do anything other than hurt current
> sales.  If I say "What you want is not coming", you tell all your
> friends not to buy Apple IIgs computers.  If I say "What you want is
> coming", you tell all your friends to wait until it gets here.  In
> either case, current sales go down the tubes.

Contrary to popular belief, I cannot buy a new computer every month.
Even though I may help others find computers, I do not tell them to
speculate on the market UNLESS they need to wait since they may want
to get something that is more in-line with their real needs.

Albeit, you do have a point...  The point of a number of ][ consumers,
though, is that we would appreciate some smackeral of information on
what we can expect to see.  If I had known that Apple was going to
sell a scanner, I most likely would have told a publishing friend that
it would be in his best interest to wait (one month!) and see if the
Apple product would better suit his needs.  Your point works both
ways, unfortunately.

> Don't say it; I can hear it already:  "It doesn't do any good to keep
> selling the Apple II if they're not going to make it better."

How about: It doesn't make any sense to keep using them if they aren't
going to make it better.  I think that should be the point.  It certainly
appears to be the point of a number of software developers.

> So just because you don't see Apple talking about the particular
> improvements you want to see, doesn't mean they're not in the works.
> It doesn't mean they are, because Apple obviously can't do everything,
> but it doesn't mean they're not.  When the moment's right, any
> improvements will be unleashed in all their gory glory.

Suggestion!  Start a newsletter!  Talk about things that are in the
works in the software world of Apple ][ computers.  Have a column
for Keith to tell us about how the work on the resource manager is
coming along. :)

> Matt Deatherage, Apple Computer, Inc.

I REALLY appreciate seeing you here, Matt.  Others, I'm sure, share
the same sentiment.  Thanks for the support!

Todd South

--
UUCP: {nosc, uunet!cacilj, sdcsvax, hplabs!hp-sdd, sun.COM}
                        ...!crash!pnet01!pro-nsfmat!pro-pac!tsouth