[comp.sys.apple] IIgs Books

AD1@TAUNOS.BITNET (10/26/88)

Does anyone know of some book store (or computer store) with a BIG variety
of IIgs related books (*beside* the guides & manuals by Apple)??Is there a
magazine/newsletter where you'd find a REASONABLE coverage for releases of
Apple-machines-insides books?(I mean **NOT** like A+/InCider/Nibble,dripping
information of this kind selectively and at 2-3 month delay at best.)

     I put this note on MAUG a couple of weeks ago,and I hardly menaged
to handle the cascade of responses coming in right away [exactly _0_.{Counted
twice to be sure} :-(  ].So I thought folks on Info-Apple might be a more
book-reading,intelectual population flatter flatter

             Thanks in advance

                      AD1@TAUNOS

sk2f+@ANDREW.CMU.EDU ("Seth D. Kadesh") (10/28/88)

Try Open-Apple, a monthly newsletter published by Tom Weishaar.  I think its
about eight pages long, but there is no
advertising.  I don't have the publishing info with me (it's at home - about
eight hours away), but if you look through
A+, you will find a small add for Open-Apple.  It might not have exactly what
you're looking for, but it is intelligent and well thought out, as well as being
highly informative.

  -- Seth Kadesh   sk2f+@andrew.cmu.edu

The Mad scientist has made his return.

REWING@TRINCC.BITNET (10/30/88)

I always have the best luck at B. Dalton's.  They usually have
the best selection of computer books for any machine, including the
Apple II series.  If you were in Atlanta, I'd have to recommend the
bookstore section of MicroCenter.  For those not fortunate to have
a dealer like this, they justopened up here.  They take up what used
to be a supermarket, and they have specific IBM, Macintosh and Apple II
sections in the store, with the back dedicated to general peripherals.
This place is ridiculous; everything you ever possibly wanted in a
computer store, and its in stock.  More Apple II software (and IIgs)
than I've ever seen in one place.  And finally, prices close to mail
order for most software.  Hopefully, more stores will follow their
lead.

--Rick Ewing
  Apple Atlanta

lwv@n8emr.UUCP (Larry W. Virden) (11/03/88)

Columbus Oh is the home of Micro Center (i bought an apple from them before
almost anyone in the world knew of the store!)  They have a HUGE home
store here and a second branch which isnt shabby.  The home store at one
time a year or two ago was named the largest computer store in the world!

They have a two story building with separate departments for books, supplies,
furniture, Mac, IBM, Business (lans, Fortune 32:16 in the past, etc), and
Personal Computers (Atari, Amiga, IBM, and Apple II).  And they have a very
nice suite of training classrooms and offices.  Their prices are very
competitive and they have a toll free number where folks can call to get
info about ordering.

--
Larry W. Virden	 75046,606 (CIS)
674 Falls Place, Reynoldsburg, OH 43068 (614) 864-8817

aehl@csd4.milw.wisc.edu (Donald J Aehl) (11/12/88)

In article <8810291334.aa12316@SMOKE.BRL.MIL> REWING@TRINCC.BITNET writes:
>I always have the best luck at B. Dalton's.  They usually have
>the best selection of computer books for any machine, including the
>Apple II series.

(stuff deleted...)

Just wanted to add my two cents worth...
I just noticed a new store for computer's: Waldensoftware.  I found one by
accident the other day, it's pretty good.  Seemed similar to B. Dalton's,
but the prices were better and the selection was larger.

I always wondered when Waldenbooks would put their foot in the software
market...

They've got a really large selection of computer books and software.
If you're interested you might want to look them up...

ARPA: aehl@csd4.milw.wisc.edu        USMAIL: Donald Aehl
                                             Box #204
					     3400 N. Maryland Ave.
                                             Milwaukee, WI 53211
                                             (414) 229-7728
UUCP: uwmcsd1!uwm-evax!aehl          ICBM:   43 4 58 N / 87 55 52 W

bird@ihlpf.ATT.COM (Walters) (03/25/89)

Merlin 16+ has come in so it is time to start learning about my new
IIgs which means it is time to buy some books. The question is, "what
books?" I would like some advice from the people on the net. If you
would like to send me e-mail, I'll summerize to the net in a week or
so.

The (apparently) relevant  books listed by A2~Central are:

Apple

Programmer's Intro to the IIgs (w/disk)                     $32.95
Apple IIgs Toolbox Reference Vol I                          $26.95
Apple IIgs Toolbox Reference Vol II                         $26.95
                                                           --------
                                                            $86.85
Gookin/Davis

Mastering the IIgs Toolbox                                  $19.95
Adv Prog Tech for IIgs Toolbox                              $19.95
                                                           --------
                                                            $39.90
GS/OS, Prodos 16

Exploring Apple GS/OS and ProDOS 8  (Gary B. Little)        $21.95

This book is a must for me based on how great his book on ProDOS 8
was. Unfortunately, it is out of print and cannot be found anywhere. I
know, I looked and looked. Maybe this is it with GS/OS added for good
measure.

Technical References

Technical Introduction to the IIgs                           $9.95
Apple IIgs Firmware Reference                               $24.95
Apple IIgs Hardware Reference                               $24.95
Apple Numerics Reference (new edition)                      $29.95
Human Interface Guidelines                                  $14.95
Exploring the Apple IIgs (Gary B. Little)                   $22.95
Apple IIgs Tech Ref (Fischer)                               $19.95
                                                          ---------
                                                           $147.20

There is some redundancy in this last list, however, I'm sure I'll get
the Gary B. Little book because he is a really good writer and
presents things ever so well. Also, I've heard that the Tech Intro for
$9.95 is a waste of time, unfortunately, that is a drop in the bucket
of the total price of these books.

                                   Toolbox                 $86.85
                                   Toolbox                 $39.90
                                   GS/OS                   $21.95
                                   Tech Ref               $147.20
                                                         ---------
                                   Grand Total            $295.90

Obviously, I'm not going to order all of these right now (and still
stay married). Which ones do I *really* need? With regards to the
toolbox books, "do they reflect the latest ROMs?" If not, "are there
updates coming soon so I should wait a bit?"

These prices from A2~Central include shipping and there is no state
tax. Does anyone have a source that has better prices overall?

Finally, don't you just hate the hard bound Addison-Wesley books? You
can't lay them flat beside you computer and glance at them from time
to time. Noooo, you have to lay a brick on the damn things? I sent
Apple a letter asking them if they would consider having these things
published in ring binder format so corrections and updates could be
bought and inserted. (Like the tech notes. They have always been good,
however, the latest version tops them all! Hats off to the tech
writers at Apple. A job *really* well done!)

I further pointed out that we were not interested in willing these
books to our descendants so they do not have to last the ages, just be
usable now!
--
				Joe Walters att!ihlpf!bird
				IHP 1F-240 (312) 416-5356

In article <8057@ihlpf.ATT.COM> bird@ihlpf.ATT.COM (Walters) writes:
>Exploring Apple GS/OS and ProDOS 8  (Gary B. Little)        $21.95
>
>This book is a must for me based on how great his book on ProDOS 8
>was. Unfortunately, it is out of print and cannot be found anywhere. I
>know, I looked and looked. Maybe this is it with GS/OS added for good
>measure.

Gary's book is good (Disclaimer: I was his technical editor for it and got
my name included on one of those pages with the Roman Numberals), and I can
easily recommend it.  But if you're going to do something that you intend
to distribute, you owe it to the people who use your programs to get the
official Apple manuals.  Why?  Simply because a third-party book can include
whatever it wants, but the Apple manuals contain what is *supported*, and
what will work in the future.  If there's a change to be made to those,
Apple II DTS issues a Technical Note.

For example, the IIgs Toolbox Reference (Volume 1), under the description of
"DisposeAll", contains a clearly written warning noting that you should NOT
use DisposeAll with an unmodified master userID, since this will dispose of
the handle in which your code is executing.  However, I can point to one IIgs
third-party book on the shelves today that contains sample code (the kind that
you're free to use in your own programs) that does *exactly this bad thing.*
It does a DisposeAll on the program's master userID and then quits.  Although
this won't *always* crash, it will some of the time, and there are commercial
products out there that do this because it was in this book.

I like the third-part books; I have a dozen or so of them myself.  But please
don't use them as references when they are intended to be tutorials.

>[stuff chopped out] (Like the tech notes. They have always been good,
>however, the latest version tops them all! Hats off to the tech
>writers at Apple. A job *really* well done!)

If you think the technical writers at Apple write the tech notes, think again.
Unlike the manuals, the names of the DTS folks who created the tech notes
are given at the beginning of each note.

>				Joe Walters att!ihlpf!bird
>				IHP 1F-240 (312) 416-5356
Matt Deatherage, Apple Computer, Inc. | "The opinions expressed in this tome
Send PERSONAL mail ONLY (please) to:  | should not be construed to imply that
AppleLink PE: Matt DTS  GEnie: AIIDTS | Apple Computer, Inc., or any of its
CompuServe: 76703,3030                | subsidiaries, in whole or in part,
Usenet:  mattd@apple.com              | have any opinion on any subject."
UUCP:  (other stuff)!ames!apple!mattd | "So there."

mjohnson@Apple.COM (Mark B. Johnson) (03/26/89)

In article <27851@apple.Apple.COM> mattd@Apple.COM (Matt Deatherage) writes:
>In article <8057@ihlpf.ATT.COM> bird@ihlpf.ATT.COM (Walters) writes:
>
>>[stuff chopped out] (Like the tech notes. They have always been good,
>>however, the latest version tops them all! Hats off to the tech
>>writers at Apple. A job *really* well done!)
>>
>If you think the technical writers at Apple write the tech notes, think again.
>Unlike the manuals, the names of the DTS folks who created the tech notes
>are given at the beginning of each note.

Not that DTS engineers are starving for attention, but the reason we now
put Developer Technical Support on the bottom of all the even pages of the
Tech Notes is to remind people where they come from and why they are updated
constantly, and especially to let people know that you don't have to be a
Partner or Associate to benefit from the work of the 30-40 people in this
department (DTS) who are here to help over 10,000 developers and at least
another 20,000 individuals who want to program Apple Computers.

Not to blame the publications people, but if Tech Notes had to go through
everything the manuals do, you'd be lucky to get them at all and I'd be
looking for another job. :-)

You should also know that Matt Deatherage is personally responsible for
rewriting (or hounding others to rewrite and review) every Apple II Note
which was released, and if it had been up to him they would have shipped
in August as the AIIDTS group had promised.

Mark B. Johnson                                            AppleLink: mjohnson
Developer Technical Support                         domain: mjohnson@Apple.com
Apple Computer, Inc.         UUCP:  {amdahl,decwrl,sun,unisoft}!apple!mjohnson

"You gave your life to become the person you are right now.  Was it worth it?"
                                                         - Richard Bach, _One_