[comp.sys.apple] Clarification on used games offer

hrh@well.UUCP (Harry Henderson) (03/22/89)

A recent reply to my posting on used Apple games castigated me for
commercial abuse of the net. As the reply pointed out (and as I found
on checking the posting), I didn't explicitly say that these are
USED games and that I have only ONE of each for sale. (This could
be inferred perhaps by my reference to "original disks and
packaging"). My apologies for any confusion. I am an individual who
happens to have games that he no longer needs, not a regular
commercial business.

--
The opinions expressed are my own, but you're welcome to share them.
Harry Henderson (freelance technical editor/writer).

gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn ) (03/22/89)

In article <11042@well.UUCP> hrh@well.UUCP (Harry Henderson) writes:
>A recent reply to my posting on used Apple games castigated me for
>commercial abuse of the net. ... I am an individual who
>happens to have games that he no longer needs, not a regular
>commercial business.

It's still an abuse to use a technical newsgroup as an advertising
bulletin board.  There are BBs specifically for that sort of posting;
don't do it here.

erast1@cisunx.UUCP (Evan Ron Aussenberg) (03/24/89)

In article <9903@smoke.BRL.MIL> gwyn@brl.arpa (Doug Gwyn (VLD/VMB) <gwyn>) writes:
>In article <11042@well.UUCP> hrh@well.UUCP (Harry Henderson) writes:
>>A recent reply to my posting on used Apple games castigated me for
>>commercial abuse of the net. ... I am an individual who
>>happens to have games that he no longer needs, not a regular
>>commercial business.
>
>It's still an abuse to use a technical newsgroup as an advertising
>bulletin board.  There are BBs specifically for that sort of posting;
>don't do it here.

As long as it's not a habit not only don't I mind, I welcome Apple specific
bargains being posted here and there.  And no, if I'm in the market for
something such as that, I'm not going over to the for.sell net and search
through zillions of adds.  So go ahead and post if you're non-commercial
I say.  This newsgroup caters to the technical and nontechies alike.

Hey, how about comp.apple2.wizards?  (Hee hee)

	Evan Ron Aussenberg /erast1@unix.pittsburgh.edu
	Keep your flames.

gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn ) (03/24/89)

In article <17026@cisunx.UUCP> erast1@unix.cis.pittsburgh.edu (Evan Ron Aussenberg) writes:
>This newsgroup caters to the technical and nontechies alike.

No, it doesn't allow commercial use at all.  It's gatewayed among USEnet,
Internet, and CSnet, and at least one of the nets officially prohibits
such usage.

Note also that the cost of distributing an individual's ad via this means
is much higher than would be economically feasible based on the value of
the articles being offered, and most importantly the cost is borne by
others than the person who profits from it.  That is abusive if anything
is.

dvac@drutx.ATT.COM (Daniel Vachon) (03/25/89)

In article <9903@smoke.BRL.MIL>, gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn ) writes:
> In article <11042@well.UUCP> hrh@well.UUCP (Harry Henderson) writes:
> >A recent reply to my posting on used Apple games castigated me for
> >commercial abuse of the net. ... I am an individual who
> >happens to have games that he no longer needs, not a regular
> >commercial business.
>
> It's still an abuse to use a technical newsgroup as an advertising
> bulletin board.  There are BBs specifically for that sort of posting;
> don't do it here.

Give me a break Doug!!  I surely don't recall a COMP.SYS.APPLE.FORSALE
newsgroup around here!  Why is it that everytime someone is selling something
for the Apple, everyone gets all bent out of shape on it!!  In my opinion,
this is the APPLE news group, and what Harry posted was definitely Apple
related!!  This is not meant to be a flame, but it gets old seeing certain
people rip into anyone who posts a message selling an old Apple //+ or some
software or something.

Later - Dan Vachon -   !ucbvax!att!mtuxo!mtgzz!drutx!dvac

erast1@cisunx.UUCP (Evan Ron Aussenberg) (03/26/89)

In article <9917@smoke.BRL.MIL> gwyn@brl.arpa
(Doug Gwyn (VLD/VMB) <gwyn>) writes:
---
>In article <17026@cisunx.UUCP> erast1@unix.cis.pittsburgh.edu
>(Evan Ron Aussenberg) writes:
>>This newsgroup caters to the technical and nontechies alike.

>No, it doesn't allow commercial use at all.

What's that have to do with catering to technical and nontechies alike.
(Oops, guess you quoted me out of context)

>It's gatewayed among USEnet,
>Internet, and CSnet, and at least one of the nets officially prohibits
>such usage.

That's only one.  And you're not even sure of which; neither am I
but if I new of some strict rule that was _well_ defined then
that's another story.  But as long as the net I use doesn't care
I don't either.  And besides... [continued]

>Note also that the cost of distributing an individual's ad via this means
>is much higher than would be economically feasible based on the value of
>the articles being offered is.

No, perhpas to someone, seeing a post from a user getting rid of their
old apple ram chips is as valuable as seeing a post about page flipping
(which, btw, is valueless (though semi-interesting) to me).

So I repeat (in an abbreviated sort of way); if I occassionaly see
'spring cleaning type' of adds for Apple products from _individuals_
in comp.sys.apple then I'm all for it, and I welcome it;  That and page
flipping are all part of sharing info.

A rose is a rose, and beauty (or information worthieness) is in the
eye of the beholder.

	Evan Ron Aussenberg / erast1@unix.cis.pittsburgh.edu
	discl: I'm a nonaffliated motion in time and space.

PS: This was not a flame, I enjoyed (sp?) replying to someone that doesn't
agree with me.  I hope not to see a jillion messages about this topic I
must say, and I do.