[comp.sys.apple] ProDOS 8 assemblers and reference material

>Date:         Sat, 25 Mar 89 23:34:49 GMT
>From:         Edward Wang <edward@UCBARPA.BERKELEY.EDU>
>Subject:      More //c plus questions
>
>Is it possible to convert an old ][ program to use ProDOS? [...]

If you're talking about Applesoft BASIC programs with no machine
language subroutines, you can generally just use System Utilities
(or CONVERT or Copy II Plus or whatever) to copy the program to a
ProDOS disk.  Other stuff is more doubtful; would likely require
quite a bit of rewriting (without souce code you'd be pretty much
out of luck--ask the distributor if there's a ProDOS version of the
program).

>What's a good assembler for the beasty?  I would like a reasonable
>editor, ability (or information on how) to create sys files.

Merlin Pro is good.  It isn't the only one that's good, but it's the
one I'm most familiar with.  (Davex source code is currently
assembled with Merlin Pro.)

>What's a good source of information on things like disk layout (for
>both ProDOS and DOS 3.?) and file formats, and generally all the
>nitty gritties.

The _ProDOS 8 Technical Reference Manual_ from Addison-Wesley is
good.  It's the offical reference.  ISBN 0-201-17757-9.  Ask your
local bookstore, or order from A2-Central, or whatever.  There are
good third-party books, too, but I'd start with the Addison-Wesley
book.  For DOS 3.3 disk/file formats, try _Beneath Apple DOS_ from
Quality Software.  Not sure if it's still in print.

 --David A. Lyons              bitnet: awcttypa@uiamvs
   DAL Systems                 CompuServe:  72177,3233
   P.O. Box 287                GEnie mail:    D.LYONS2
   North Liberty, IA 52317     AppleLinkPE: Dave Lyons

In article <8903252138.aa08342@SMOKE.BRL.MIL> AWCTTYPA@UIAMVS.BITNET ("David A. Lyons") writes:
>The _ProDOS 8 Technical Reference Manual_ from Addison-Wesley is
>good.  It's the offical reference.  ISBN 0-201-17757-9.  Ask your
>local bookstore, or order from A2-Central, or whatever.  There are
>good third-party books, too, but I'd start with the Addison-Wesley
>book.  For DOS 3.3 disk/file formats, try _Beneath Apple DOS_ from
>Quality Software.  Not sure if it's still in print.

If you're going to write code using the ProDOS 8 MLI, I heartily recommend
both the Addison-Wesley ProDOS 8 Technical Reference Manual (the hardcover
version; no one should be buying any old A-W spiral-bound books) *AND* the
complete set of Technical Notes, specifically the ProDOS 8 ones.

"Beneath Apple DOS" is still around, although I don't know if it's in print.
I saw one at A Clean Well-Lighted Place for Books just the other day, and it's
not even a computer book store.  If all else fails, you can order it directly
from Quality Software (or mail me the money and I'll go buy the one at ACWLPfB
and mail it to you.  Such a deal.

> --David A. Lyons              bitnet: awcttypa@uiamvs
>   DAL Systems                 CompuServe:  72177,3233
>   P.O. Box 287                GEnie mail:    D.LYONS2
>   North Liberty, IA 52317     AppleLinkPE: Dave Lyons

(look for that bitnet address to change to "dlyons@apple.com" next month.  Not
that Dave would change his signature, which has a GEnie address he hasn't used
for about three months...)  :-)
Matt Deatherage, Apple Computer, Inc. | "The opinions expressed in this tome
Send PERSONAL mail ONLY (please) to:  | should not be construed to imply that
AppleLink PE: Matt DTS  GEnie: AIIDTS | Apple Computer, Inc., or any of its
CompuServe: 76703,3030                | subsidiaries, in whole or in part,
Usenet:  mattd@apple.com              | have any opinion on any subject."
UUCP:  (other stuff)!ames!apple!mattd | "So there."

bsherm@umbio.MIAMI.EDU (Bob Sherman) (03/27/89)

Would like to take this chance and welcome Matt to the net, and also send
thanks to him for the GREAT job he has done with the November and March
revisions of the Apple II tech notes. Not only is he getting them done,
but he is riding herd and making surthey are getting out to the
developer world where they can do the most good.

Now if only Matt or Keith would take Rob Moore by the hand and show him
how to access thi net, we could have yet another good Apple voice
onlne. Rob told me months ago he was interested, but had never seen the
net..

--
  Internet  -- bsherm%umbio@umigw.miami.edu
  UUCP      -- {uunet!gould}!umbio!bsherm