[comp.sys.apple] GS/OS and Profile HD's

nuteskey@ndsuvax.UUCP (Vlad the Impaler) (03/20/89)

I am currently using an Apple Profile 10Mb hard drive on my Apple //e.  It was
loaned to me by a friend for use until he needed to sell it.  Well, the time
has come where he needs the cash and he is giving me first dibs at the drive.

I also have a GS at home and I'm wondering about the compatibility of the
Profile with the GS and with GS/OS.  Obviously, if the drive does not support
GS/OS it will be of limited usage in the future.  I know there are FST's for
SCSI drives and newer CD drives, but I'm not sure about the Profile.  I would
check it except for the fact my GS is about 300 miles away.

Would the Profile run any faster with the GS?  I have a Transwarp right now in
my //e and it does seem to run faster with that slot accelerated.  It may just
seem that way, but I'm not the only one that noticed that.

Any help would be appreciated,

Mark Teskey

NU128123@NDSUVM1.Bitnet (Bitnet)
NUTESKEY@NDSUVAX.Bitnet (Bitnet)
NU128123@VM1.NoDak.Edu (Internet)
NUTESKEY@Plains.NoDak.Edu (Internet)

gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn ) (03/27/89)

In article <2423@ndsuvax.UUCP> nuteskey@ndsuvax.UUCP (Vlad the Impaler) writes:
>I also have a GS at home and I'm wondering about the compatibility of the
>Profile with the GS and with GS/OS.

I have a 5Mbyte ProFILE and it works fine with GS/OS.  I see no reason to
think the 10Mbyte version wouldn't work just as well.

>Would the Profile run any faster with the GS?

Only to the extent that the computer itself is faster.  I don't think
there's any simple way to change the interleaving on the ProFILE to
fine-tune the drive's perfoirmance with GS/OS.

In article <2423@ndsuvax.UUCP> nuteskey@ndsuvax.UUCP (Vlad the Impaler) writes:

>I also have a GS at home and I'm wondering about the compatibility of the
>Profile with the GS and with GS/OS.  Obviously, if the drive does not support
>GS/OS it will be of limited usage in the future.  I know there are FST's for
>SCSI drives and newer CD drives, but I'm not sure about the Profile.  I would
>check it except for the fact my GS is about 300 miles away.

Devices don't need FSTs; devices need drivers.  File Systems need FSTs.  GS/OS
generates a driver for the ProFile that works just fine, but you have to have
both the latest ProFile card (updated in 1986 to work on the IIgs) and the
latest ProFile ROM (updated in 1986 or 1987) for it to work.  If you install
your ProFile and GS/OS seems to misbehave, go to a dealer and ask for these
two items.

>Mark Teskey
>
>NU128123@NDSUVM1.Bitnet (Bitnet)
>NUTESKEY@NDSUVAX.Bitnet (Bitnet)
>NU128123@VM1.NoDak.Edu (Internet)
>NUTESKEY@Plains.NoDak.Edu (Internet)
Matt Deatherage, Apple Computer, Inc. | "The opinions expressed in this tome
Send PERSONAL mail ONLY (please) to:  | should not be construed to imply that
AppleLink PE: Matt DTS  GEnie: AIIDTS | Apple Computer, Inc., or any of its
CompuServe: 76703,3030                | subsidiaries, in whole or in part,
Usenet:  mattd@apple.com              | have any opinion on any subject."
UUCP:  (other stuff)!ames!apple!mattd | "So there."