[comp.sys.apple] A little more on Apple's management

V131Q5CG@ubvmsc.cc.buffalo.edu (John Taylor) (03/27/89)

Mark Johnson writes:
>>(I could have had a few marketing positions in Apple, but as many others I
>>know feel, "marketing" is a four-letter word and I preferred a more "honest"
>>job -- developer technical support.)

Murph Sewall replies:
>If the present train of marketing myopia
>(something most of those marketing MBA's surely have read, but sadly don't
>seem to have understood) continues, Apple may not be in very good shape
>when the century turns.

My thoughts:
	"Those marketing MBA's" that Murph speaks of ought to start listening
to the people who form the backbone of the company; maybe this is why
"'marketing' is a four-letter word." The Japaneese run their enterprises by
giving people closest to the products the most control; seems logical, dosen't
it?
	Apple had better drop the top-heavy buearuacracy if they want to beat
out corporations like IBM and yes, the Japaneese (which form a conglomerate
of their own, in some respects); maybe this is impossible when the people in
charge are the problem.

	Well Mark, Matt, Keith (and any others), you're not alone: NASA has a
2:1 management to "real worker" ratio--just for example. {sigh} :(

John Taylor   -- SUNY at Buffalo
Internet: v131q5cg@ubvmsc.cc.buffalo.edu
Bitnet  : v131q5cg@ubvmsc