[comp.sys.apple] //gs Rogue clone

labc-3dc@e260-3f.berkeley.edu (Andy McFadden) (03/23/89)

A few things about the Rogue Clone III...

Comments:
The docs say it was distributed as S16; it's an EXE.  No big deal...
It *does* work on a 768K machine, although it crashed once (around 00/2000).
The "save" option wants the save DIRECTORY, not the save FILE.  Make sure to
  end the prefix with a slash ("/").
Some commands are different (from the docs; the on-line help is correct):
  & does the screen dump
  \ does the "print found out" stuff

Suggestions:
It might be nice to have a way for Finder users to restore saved games
  (maybe check the existence of the default file, printing appropriate
  messages if something goes wrong...)
A list of MouseText character usage and some info about the "added features"
  would be nice.

Overall, this is very nicely done.  Since the game crashes from time to
time, maybe you could let us know how to make copies of the saved games...?

					:-)

--
fadden@cory.berkeley.edu (Andy McFadden)
labc-3dc@widow.berkeley.edu

wombat@claris.com (Scott Lindsey) (03/24/89)

From article <21965@agate.BERKELEY.EDU>, by labc-3dc@e260-3f.berkeley.edu (Andy McFadden):
> Comments:
> The docs say it was distributed as S16; it's an EXE.  No big deal...
Yeah, I realized that last night as I was going to sleep.

> It *does* work on a 768K machine, although it crashed once (around 00/2000).
> The "save" option wants the save DIRECTORY, not the save FILE.  Make sure to
>   end the prefix with a slash ("/").
Oops.

> Some commands are different (from the docs; the on-line help is correct):
>   & does the screen dump
>   \ does the "print found out" stuff
I really need to write some docs for RCIII as well as some for my extensions.

> Suggestions:
> It might be nice to have a way for Finder users to restore saved games
>   (maybe check the existence of the default file, printing appropriate
>   messages if something goes wrong...)
There's an undocumented command `O' (for open) which prompts you for a file
to restore from.

> A list of MouseText character usage and some info about the "added features"
>   would be nice.
Yeah, that too.  Unfortunately, it's hard to document mousetext... if you
hardwire it into a text file, it depends on what you use to view it & it won't
print to an ImageWriter correctly, either... one of these days I'll modify
the online help to handle it correctly.

As far as my extensions go, here's a list of what the `scott' option enables:

SPOILER WARNING

Scroll of genocide, potion of invisibility, wand of many things, trap ceilings
& the inability to read scrolls when blind.

That's all.  If you don't enable `scott' then you get Tim Stoehr's version of
the game.

> Overall, this is very nicely done.  Since the game crashes from time to
> time, maybe you could let us know how to make copies of the saved games...?

OK, an undocumented option is `checkpoint' which causes the program to write
out a save file at the beginning of each level.  I believe the file it
writes to is hardwired to 3/ROGUE.CKP .  One other bug: you have to type the
pathname in as originally saved in order to restore.  So, to restore from the
checkpoint file, you'd type `rogue 3/rogue.ckp'.

--
Scott Lindsey     |"Cold and misty morning. I heard a warning borne in the air
Claris Corp.      |    About an age of power when no one had an hour to spare"

joseph@elbereth.rutgers.edu (Seymour Joseph) (03/28/89)

Andy is right, the file was an EXE and not a S16.  I used a File type
changer program I had and it ran fine.   I am launching it from Prosel
and I have been trying to pass the name of the ROGUE.SAVE file to the
program by using the standard method of launching an interpreter and
passing it the name of its startup file.   Rogue seems to ignore this
information and therefore I cannot start up from a saved game.

It would be a great benefit if ROGUE would allow launching like this.

Seymour

wombat@claris.com (Scott Lindsey) (03/28/89)

From article <Mar.27.18.43.52.1989.25502@elbereth.rutgers.edu>, by joseph@elbereth.rutgers.edu (Seymour Joseph):
> Andy is right, the file was an EXE and not a S16.  I used a File type
> changer program I had and it ran fine.   I am launching it from Prosel
> and I have been trying to pass the name of the ROGUE.SAVE file to the
> program by using the standard method of launching an interpreter and
> passing it the name of its startup file.   Rogue seems to ignore this
> information and therefore I cannot start up from a saved game.

Yup, it ignores it.  It only looks at it's argv/argc as set up by the
standard shell.  What is "the standard method of launching an interpreter
and passing it the name of its startup file?"  Is it the same standard that
the Finder uses when you double click on a document (going through the
message center of the toolbox?)  I currently have no plans to support that
from the Finder, as that would require setting up a file type/aux type,
which has to be registered with Apple... etc.

The best option for this situation is to use the `O' command to open (load)
a saved file once Rogue is up & running.

--

In article <9210@claris.com> wombat@claris.com (Scott Lindsey) writes:
>Is it the same standard that
>the Finder uses when you double click on a document (going through the
>message center of the toolbox?)  I currently have no plans to support that
>from the Finder, as that would require setting up a file type/aux type,
>which has to be registered with Apple... etc.

You want a filetype/auxtype for a game program, you can have it.  Just send
me official (through the AIIDTS AppleLink Apple Edition or MCI Mail account)
and you should have it the same day.  I'm easy.

>--
>Scott Lindsey     |"Cold and misty morning. I heard a warning borne in the air
>Claris Corp.      |    About an age of power when no one had an hour to spare"
>ames!claris!wombat| DISCLAIMER: These are not the opinions of Claris, Apple,
>wombat@claris.com |    StyleWare, the author, or anyone else living or dead.

[Note: 5K signature follows, point of which is to attempt to deter people from
sending me mail with official questions.  PERSONAL mail only, although I love
to hear from people.]
Matt Deatherage, Apple Computer, Inc. | "The opinions expressed in this tome
Send PERSONAL mail ONLY (please) to:  | should not be construed to imply that
AppleLink PE: Matt DTS  GEnie: AIIDTS | Apple Computer, Inc., or any of its
CompuServe: 76703,3030                | subsidiaries, in whole or in part,
Usenet:  mattd@apple.com              | have any opinion on any subject."
UUCP:  (other stuff)!ames!apple!mattd | "So there."